• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Caporegime
Approx Dyson handheld loud.

You will go deaf shortly after using so it's never an issue... :)

With the fans on idle his talking is reading the same db on that Phone app as the GPU's with a 90% fan speed, in fact up to 90% fan speed his talking pushed the db meter up. the phone is an inch away from the GPU's while he is behind the camera.

They can't be that loud then if normal room conversation trumps the db level.

Soldato
:p hehe
7f8.gif

If you use headphones whilst gaming you will not notice.

It's all subjective anyway.. :)

Associate
True. It's sort of a 'testing of the waters' for me anyway. To see how drivers and support is. The 390X has me quite interested as a true next gen performance focused card. So I didn't want to drop cash on high end stuff right now, but needed something powerful enough to enjoy titles before Christmas. Like Dragon Age 3; which happens to have Mantle support! Sooo it just made sense. I'd assume I will have them for about 3 months or so, and then jump onto whatever glorious goodness shows up. Assuming my experience with AMD isn't a bad one of course. I have had lots of AMD cards in the past, I think the reason I moved away from them was driver support.

<insert boring back story sequence>
I had a high end card, the X1900? It was a while ago lol. Anyway, Windows 8 showed up and AMD dropped support for it stating that Windows 8 had built in drivers which would be all you'd need........ and that really put me off. As it was about a 2 year old card at the time, but new lower end cheap cards (£40 or so) had support

I'd have to think but I'd say I am about 50/50 for AMD vs NVIDIA in hardware I have owned. Also Intel. I have had plenty of AMD CPUs the last one being an Athlon 64 which is still going today :) (parents have it actually lol). I remember getting a Pentium 4, and then pretty much finding it performed worse than the Pentium 3 it replaced and dropping it quite soon after for an Athlon. I was around for the whole Geforce FX debacle too. I actually bought a 5800 Ultra! One of the few that made it to the UK. Sounded like a freaking jet engine but I valiantly supported it before the benchmark fudging started and the comparisons to the 9700 and then I thankfully got out and most of my money back and got a 9700. Then a 9800....

And this has little to do with anything so XD yeah anyway looking forward to having a play.

EDIT: So I looked it up. Seems the X1900 XTX was launched in August 2006? Can't be right can it? O.o I bought a Core 2 Q6600 with an X1900 or X1950 in 2008 from OcUK. I guess the GPU was (to me) 4 years old then. That's probably the longest I have ever had a system for but I was out of the whole "gaming loop" for a little while. Still.

NVIDIA supported older cards in Windows 8. It sucked that I couldn't move up to 8 without forfeiting proper drivers. It was more gutting considering that X1900 XTX was a quite a costly card in the day. When low end £20 cards were coming out taht had support it made me raaage XD I mean -id pay £20 if you could support my X1900!!! XD

Hehe well thats the past anyways.

Do AMD have anything like the Geforce Experience?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom