Openreach enabled G.INP on FTTC

Soldato
OP
Well Ginp has just turned it's self on and now my ECI modem will not work on my line...

Good job I get rid of Openreach ECI Modem to get Billion 8800NL instead. As Billion 8800NL support G.INP, G.Fast and Vectoring for future say Billion tech support.

So to be on the safe side Zyxels 8324/8924 & 3300 plus the billion 8800 are known to work well with the new line settings g.inp.

G.INP on Billion found here: http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/g.inp

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The vectoring isn't planned yet by Openreach. As far as I know that Openreach is rolled out G.INP to all FTTC cabinets. (up to 45,000 lines per day)

1st stage: all G.INP enabled on all Haewei cabinets lasted until 31st March 2015
2nd stage: all G.INP enabled on all ECI cabinets from 1st April onwards until end of June 2015.
3rd stage: Openreach will try to get vectoring roll out possible in 2016 or 2017 depend on trial tests.

Soldato
my Billion 7800n doesn't let me see my fibre line stats :(

I have been considering a new VDSL router can anyone recommend something good?

Get a Billion 8800NL upgrade!

Is there much difference between the two then mate?

EDIT

Just seen that they only have 1Gigabit port though which is kind bizarre where the 7800n has 4.

Last edited:
Soldato
The 8800NL is a great VDSL router. I've got that and the 8800AXL. The AXL has 4 x 1Gb LAN ports and 2.4/5GHz Wireless but the wireless coverage is a bit mediocre so I just the 8800NL and a RT-N66U in Access Point mode. The 8800NL is rock solid in the same way that the 7800n was, just a shame it’s lacking some of the features you'd expect nowadays.

Soldato
OP
^^ Spot on review! Well said. I am still happy overall with my billion 8800nl.

Meanwhile coming soon the new 8900 series for Fibre:

Last edited:
Caporegime
Fibre to the basement is shoving a mini-DSLAM inside apartment buildings where the MDF already is (probably). Then standard FTTC over maybe 30m of copper. Either way it will be quick.

Associate
Well it has been enabled as of yesterday my download speed has gone up by 3mb & the upload by 1.5mb & my ping is now 14ms so this is a win for me. The downstream noise margin is now nearly 9db so the line is nice and stable, I'm lucky one here as some have had the otherside of G.INP.

Soldato
The BT eng has been out and he already knew about the issue with G.INP and ECI modems and showed me on the internal documentation on his laptop on how to go about fixing it.

They have to come out and perform a line reset which in turn allows the modem to perform an update. My profile reset didn't go to plan as it was being a pain.
He had to call someone up at the HQ to force the reset manually, took it a while to stick but I'm back at low ping and full sync on the ECI modem.
I don't think the line is running G.INP yet as he said the update to the modem does not happen straight away and takes place over a period of time (late at night)

Mine was the first the engineer has come across and his whole job sheet today is to fix this issue, so it's quite wide spread and BT know about it.

Soldato
OP
Tomorrow is the last day of rolled out G.INP for all the remaining Huawei cabinets.

From 2nd April the rest of ECI cabinets are start to roll out G.INP and should completed by end of June.

Soldato
OP
ECI modem on ECI cabinet will be automatically G.INP (usually overnight between 4am and 6am) during roll out. No one know yet if the G.INP will cause issues.

Soldato
The BT eng has been out and he already knew about the issue with G.INP and ECI modems and showed me on the internal documentation on his laptop on how to go about fixing it.

They have to come out and perform a line reset which in turn allows the modem to perform an update. My profile reset didn't go to plan as it was being a pain.
He had to call someone up at the HQ to force the reset manually, took it a while to stick but I'm back at low ping and full sync on the ECI modem.
I don't think the line is running G.INP yet as he said the update to the modem does not happen straight away and takes place over a period of time (late at night)

Mine was the first the engineer has come across and his whole job sheet today is to fix this issue, so it's quite wide spread and BT know about it.

This doesn't sound good.

How do you tell what type of cabinet you are on? Do you need to go and look at it, will it say on the cabinet?

V_R

V_R

Soldato
So I'm connected to a Huawei FTTC cab (big green one with double doors) and Huawei HG612 with a Asus RT-N66U router, from what I've read this means I'm ok and shouldn't see any ping rises etc right? :)

I've not seen any difference to my connection as yet....

Back
Top Bottom