• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It does matter.

Performance is only there, if the fans are sounding like windtunnels and still failing to prevent the card from throttling.

Before I discovered 'manual fan control', I used to run an ATI 1800XT which would hit +80C° temps. That card stopped working within two years and gave me plenty errors and artifacts on its way out. With my current HD 7970 OC, I put the fan up to 50% to keep temps down where I like them. This gets me a further 300Mhz on base clock speeds, but damn, is it loud (although not as loud as GTX 980 ti fans it seems).

I refuse to have either another ridiculously loud or boiling hot GPU in my desktop ever again.

Thousands of people buying the 980ti don't seem to care :p

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
There exists all kinds of demographic categories in a market for any product.

I am pleased to state that I probably don't belong in the 'hapless impulse controlled fool' category.

You and me both brother. I will wait until AMD reveal their hand. Maybe even pick up something from members market at the right price until 16nm stuff is out :D

Caporegime
if you read professional reviews (reference design )the noise and temp are similar to Titan X and Gtx 980

Remember the "professional reviews" of the 7990? About how it was whisper quiet and loaded around 65-70c? And remember just how different the retail boards were? Kicked up a din and easily got into the 90c range. Cherry picking ftw.

Associate
Im a bit worried now about the reference design ones, a few from the other thread are saying they run very hot (near 85c and close to thermal throttling) and are very loud, having ordered the Evga reference one myself this is has me a little concerned.

Should I change it to a non-referenced one or will it be ok?

Nobody will know if its just a couple of hards, or all them, but the hybrid looks the best cant see that running hot and 5 year warrenty with it

Permabanned
noise-load.gif

gpu-load.gif

These are total rubbish, Look at the claims for the 290x. Load temps of 78 degrees ???

Are people really stupid enough to see stuff like this and believe it after what we all know about the cards, The only way these are correct is if it's something like a Vapor X not a reference like the others in the graphs,

But people do cherry pick when they can.

Associate
Open bench is a whole different story. If you have a well ventilated case with a reference blower, temps might even be better.

Titan X hits temps of max of 83c (for some 84c if bad case cooling). Only game that seems a bit hot is Witcher 3 with a custom fan profile (~70% max) and OCed to ~1380ish hitting around 80-81c for me.

Soldato
could be correct

if those were on an open bench

don't the Nvidias control overclock up to a certain temp and/or fans specifically to stay below that temp

Soldato
These are total rubbish, Look at the claims for the 290x. Load temps of 78 degrees ???

Are people really stupid enough to see stuff like this and believe it after what we all know about the cards, The only way these are correct is if it's something like a Vapor X not a reference like the others in the graphs,

But people do cherry pick when they can.

Do we know what GPU the 290x cooler was using? Some aftermarket coolers do a great job keeping the 290x cool.

Soldato
I need a reference simply as my current case gets hot with windforce blowing hot air all around it. It's a small lian li.

With reference, it will aid in pulling out the air.

Soldato
You and me both brother. I will wait until AMD reveal their hand. Maybe even pick up something from members market at the right price until 16nm stuff is out :D

The MM is laden with 780tis, 980, etc lol. Same every launch. I wait until a launch then go to MM and get a bargain :) Gone past the epeen age where I "must have the best of the best" a second hand prev gen card will easily play the games I want for a fraction of the price of a launch card. If people want to blow 600 quid on a launch card, then work away :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom