• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Driver Has Stopped Responding - Nvidia Driver Crashes

Soldato
This issue happens a lot with pirated games. There are litecoin miners in those files. Will cause that "stopped responding" issue 100%

Lol you might actually be not far off with that one for some of the issues.

Gefore forum is ripe with entitled live at homes who are probably not even running legit games (you know who you are!)

The fact so many people are responding to the thread regarding having mining viruses cause their problems may be testament to that.

Soldato
Just had driver stopped responding on the desktop with the 353.00 drivers, was idle with twitch streaming on 2nd monitor.

Have changed hardware polling rate to 5000 from 1000 in MSI AB, will see how it goes now. If another happens will go back to 350.12 as they were perfect for me

Caporegime
OP
Just had driver stopped responding on the desktop with the 353.00 drivers, was idle with twitch streaming on 2nd monitor.

Have changed hardware polling rate to 5000 from 1000 in MSI AB, will see how it goes now. If another happens will go back to 350.12 as they were perfect for me

Well that sucks :(

Thanks for trying the next tweak, hopefully that fixes it

Soldato
I'm using 353.12 now (G-Sync Window hotfix driver) and so far all is good. No crashes in Opera with hardware acel enabled. Talking to CDProjectRed with ideas to stop the issues in Witcher 3. I have neither AB or PX installed, though.

Soldato
These latest drivers (353.xx+) are even worse than I thought.

I'm not playing many games apart from Witcher 3, GTA5 and Skyrim at the moment - All 3 of these seem to run fine with no crashes, however I just tried a few other games to test further...

1. Crysis 3 - won't even load into the game. Once you get past the intro vids it either hangs on black screen (can hear music) and I have to force quit, OR I get a DXGI_DEVICE_REMOVED something error pop up, then the usual 'driver has stopped responding'

2. Titanfall - very similar to Crysis 3.

After this any game that will load will only run at 20fps max, and I have to reboot the whole system. ****ing **** Nvidia, starting to get bored now. This is a really poor show a week or so before AMD might launch something very interesting.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Another positive

It seems upping the polling rate in Afterburner fixed both Chrome crashes and game crashes. Using Afterburner 4.1.1 with a polling rate of 6000 and driver 353.06 has so far stopped the random crashes and recovery in chrome and the games tested are Far Cry 4, Unity, and Witcher 3. Normally driver would crash/recover after around 1/2 hour to an hour of activity. Only been changed for ~a day so far, but looks promising.

On this end, computer has been on since 4pm, still no driver has stopped responding in chrome/games when fixing the polling rate :)

Remember though that other gpu monitor software will most likely also have polling rates which need to be changed.

Wonder what Nvidia and or MSI Afterburner has changed :confused:

Soldato
Oh ignore him he's neurotic. Wouldn't even entertain it, MSI will straighten it out with NVIDIA. Although I don't think there is anyone to 'blame'. He might just be taking it that way.

No issues at all with hardware acceleration in Opera with 353.12. Also think I've solved W3 issues, mixture of the hotfix driver and HBAO+

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Interesting

Yeah looks like it, guess they changed some refresh P-state polling rate inside r352/r353 branch and its not so compatible

Or something with nvapi in general if some get it no matter what, like back with r280.xx - 290.xx drivers and GF104/114 TDR (web browsing, flash) after specific time period, while some GF110 chips glitched by 3d switching and stayed longer in 3d P-state..

275.xx or lower was fine and nvidia later said they tweaked P-state polling rate for gpu voltage/frequency to react faster or something in those lines and its going to continue with this new approach 280.xx+.

Zero driver timeouts with Opera after stopping Afterburner. Something in the recent drivers doesn't like being polled I guess.

Caporegime
OP
My brother has just updated to the latest drivers and he is using a 660TI, his firefox keeps crashing out with a driver has stopped responding.

What a joke these drivers are

Soldato
SLI does not work properly with Gsync in Witcher 3 - the only reason I was using latest drivers - so I've gone back to 347.88 now.

What a breath of fresh air!

- Gsync light works properly again on Rog Swift
- No crashes in anything, all games work
- All games perform brilliantly
- Running Witcher 3 on one card only (780Ti) with Gsync. Smooth as hell and runs around 45fps most of the time. SLI hardly provided any more, and was stuttery as ****

Man of Honour
Interesting

AB, EVGA precision, etc. should be the first thing people try disabling with driver crashes its well known they often use non-standard low level access for some features that can cause instability if something changes in later drivers.

Back
Top Bottom