• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Driver Has Stopped Responding - Nvidia Driver Crashes

Soldato
Let him, his reputation is proceeding him. He can happily come in and clarify with any one of us. It's not as though we are blaming Afterburner for the issue, only that it's resolved by increasing the polling rate.

It's probably aggravating him that he doesn't actually know why it's happening. Sorry Unwinder, we're dreadfully sorry that we've discovered a problem when using Afterburner. We apologise for troubleshooting our own computers and not incriminating your software in any way other than to point out a potential remedy.

We kneel before your superior knowledge. God only knows what you must think of the people who have yet to discover a fix, maybe you deem them even more incompetent.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Agreed, I don't think anyone is blaming him we would just like to know why increasing the polling rate helps. He says it's just placebo and that errors will still occur, just less frequently, but so far everyone who's increased polling to 5000/6000 hasn't seen a single error.

Soldato
Even though Unwinder can be a total, utter douchebag, I rather think he knows what he's talking about.
I don't think this polling rate tweak is a viable fix, it's more a dodgy sticking plaster. If it's working for some then great, but it didn't work for me.

How do you explain getting the driver stopped responding crash within seconds of booting to the desktop, which happened to me once? Or, just opening the NV control panel with nothing else running? Or just clicking on my computer?

Also, Using the latest drivers and the polling tweak, crysis 3 would not even load. Just a black screen after the intro videos. Nor would Titanfall.

I've gone back to 347.88 and all problems are gone. Ergo, the latest nvidia drivers are the problem, 100%. Simple as that.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Unwinder is getting salty "And that thread in OCUK is perfect example why I was unhappy, that's what is happening when data is being interpreted by not to knowledgeable users."

That was in direct response to Silent Scone

I've gone back to 347.88 and all problems are gone. Ergo, the latest nvidia drivers are the problem, 100%. Simple as that.

Oh for f....

WE KNOW the drivers are the problem, but MANY users are still getting great results using the polling rate fix in MSI Afterburner and OTHER related software, sure it didn't fix your issue, but it fixed mine and not just mine.

Last edited:
Soldato
Even though Unwinder can be a total, utter douchebag, I rather think he knows what he's talking about.
I don't think this polling rate tweak is a viable fix, it's more a dodgy sticking plaster. If it's working for some then great, but it didn't work for me.

How do you explain getting the driver stopped responding crash within seconds of booting to the desktop, which happened to me once? Or, just opening the NV control panel with nothing else running? Or just clicking on my computer?

Also, Using the latest drivers and the polling tweak, crysis 3 would not even load. Just a black screen after the intro videos. Nor would Titanfall.

I don't think anyone is refuting there aren't issues with these latest builds. It's obvious something in the driver has been altered. It could even be a case of Afterburner is the saviour in this instance and is creating a beneficial misread. Or at default, interrupting a new polling process within the driver.

Caporegime
OP
I don't think anyone is refuting there aren't issues with these latest builds. It's obvious something in the driver has been altered. It could even be a case of Afterburner is the saviour in this instance and is creating a beneficial misread. Or at default, interrupting a new polling process within the driver.

Now that's interesting! :cool:

Soldato
Not even using Afterburner when I have had crashes. Witcher 3 would kick back to desktop and browser would lock / freeze (Mozilla).

What relevance does Afterburner have to this?

Soldato
Now that's interesting! :cool:

I don't want to divulgemy source for that, but it is someone who knows these things very well ;)

Not even using Afterburner when I have had crashes. Witcher 3 would kick back to desktop and browser would lock / freeze (Mozilla).

Who is to say it's the same problem? FF locked on 353.06 for me. The drivers have issues, and like I've said above the Afterburner remedy could possibly be assisting rather than a potential fix for Afterburner itself.

Last edited:
Soldato

Exactly. I think everyone is getting too hung up on the Afterburner 'link'. The latest drivers are bobbins. We know it. Nvidia know it. I'm sure they will fix it soon.

Man of Honour
I'll admit I'm not upto date on how AB works but most of those programs and some still do, used to use a certain amount of low level peeking/poking to get/set some data and/or non-standard use of NVAPI which can and has especially with precision in the past caused issues, BSODs, etc (EDIT: This isn't a fault of the programs or a slight on the developer - just the cost of).

The way AB beta versions are (were?) timed, etc. should tell you all you need to know about his attitude to end users - he frankly doesn't give 2 ***** about them.

Have to admit I'm a bit perplexed about these drivers though - obviously there is an issue with the number of people posting about them here and elsewhere - they are by no exaggeration 100% rock solid so far (touch wood) on all my systems and on a 970 based system I put together to test - even with AB and Chrome using hardware acceleration I'm yet to be able to make it crash :S

Last edited:
Caporegime
Have to admit I'm a bit perplexed about these drivers though - obviously there is an issue with the number of people posting about them here and elsewhere - they are by no exaggeration 100% rock solid so far (touch wood) on all my systems and on a 970 based system I put together to test - even with AB and Chrome using hardware acceleration I'm yet to be able to make it crash :S

Same for me, the only crash I have had in any game in months and months was yesterday with TW3 and that might be because it was the first time I have run AB whilst seeing if frames had gone up over the last patch. I don't bother with AB unless I am doing a review but I have everything installed (including Geforce Experience), PhysX set to Auto, fiddled with nothing (default for everything) G-Sync running and that's it. Even then it could just be gremlins as to why i got the crash.....

Proper head scratching and I used these on the GTX 970.

Caporegime
OP
The only reason MSI Afterburner was mentioned was the fact that a vast majority of people use it, and the vast majority were having crashes until they did the polling rate fix of 6000+. However other OSD's monitoring software also have polling rate settings, so it isn't specific to MSI.

Other tweaks have mentioned as well such as changing to a different driver, or the latest fix which someone else mentioned, setting PhysX to auto or CPU.

Still think it's coming down to a polling problem in the driver aka NVAPI

But in relation to Unwinder, his attitude frankly stinks, the way he talks to people, the people who love his software and need his help is not on

Soldato
He obviously doesn't care what people think. He quoted me out specifically on the basis I mentioned Greg noticing problems with AB open, probably because of a poor choice of words. I replied to him on Guru

Soldato
Trying to troubleshoot the complex sets up's of 1000's of PC users, all with different cards/OS/software/Peripherals blah blah blah, is a daunting prospect.

I don't think there is any one cause or any one fix. However if changing the polling rate of AB fixes some users issues, then it should be looked at without blinkers or contempt.

The fix should be Nvidia's

It worked in previous releases, it dose not now.

ABP's put their name to these tweaking tools and I would expected them to be most vocal.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Follow up to my earlier post. I'm on 353.12 with AB on 5000ms.

It's been ok on Witcher 3 so far today but I've had one TDR when browsing on chrome earlier, but far less frequent than before, where it was happening multiple times an hour

Back
Top Bottom