• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Soldato
Flashed the custom bios on the overclock.net forums which is supposed to up the volts to something like 1.281v but doesn't seem to have done that. Still seem to be 1.243/1.23 between the cards.

Any else tried and had luck?

Edit: it does adjust the boost levels though.

Soldato
The Inno did sound the quietest but it was also the only one to have an odd rattle.

Thats why I got rid of the 980 Inno because that little fan on top makes a really annoying whine that I could hear even with my case under the desk.
Video didnt mention what RPM they were running at ? 100% ?

I was a bit afraid at the noise reports after I ordered mine but to be honest its quieter than you think. Mine is really quiet at idle and it doesnt start to get louder till it hits 50% yet I had Heaven running for an hour earlier and it maxed out at the expected 84c but the fan was still at 45%. Really really impressed with the reference cooler. Boosts to 1189Mhz too not bad when its only supposed to do 1076Mhz.

16k3xc2.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Can anyone compile a nice little list of the brands and noise levels?

I would but I'm a little busy :(

There is a small comparison here of three popular designs. http://www.overclock.net/t/1516121/gtx-970-comparison-strix-vs-msi-gaming-vs-gigabyte-g1

I keep on repeating myself but we must keep in check the 970/980 has a lower tdp so not all these comparisons will be accurate for a higher tdp card like GM200.

From my own knowledge and use of the Windforce it is up there with the most effective at keeping core temps low. It does have a high maximum rpm as the trio of fans are 75mm. Plenty of cooling power for sure.

The MSI has large 100mm fans that have a pretty low maximum rpm compared to the likes of the ACX or Gigabyte. Because the fans are large it can still push enough air to keep temps decent. Less cooling power than the G1 gaming, but a good efficiency in terms of low noise and slightly higher tenps than the G1 is capable of.

I haven't used the ACX 2.0 but from looking at reviews it is definitely performing better than the reference blower. In my opinion I see the MSI Gaming often achieving better thermal performance than the ACX while having a better sound note to boot. A step above the reference cooler, but I'm not convinced it is as efficient as the MSI Gaming or G1 coolers.

Another one to look out for is the new Asus Strix for the 980Ti. I'm eager to see how it performs as it looks beastly, but it'll likely be next month till release.

Associate
Yeah if we're going by how these designs perform on the 970s/980s, I'd rate the MSI over the ACX in terms of both noise and temperature, but there's very little in it (I've happily gone for the ACXs mostly for the clean aesthetics).

Soldato
Flashed the custom bios on the overclock.net forums which is supposed to up the volts to something like 1.281v but doesn't seem to have done that. Still seem to be 1.243/1.23 between the cards.

Any else tried and had luck?

Edit: it does adjust the boost levels though.

Found the answer to my own question.

There were two biases listed, one that ups the power limit, and one that ups the limit and increases voltage. I got the one for just power .doh.

Something to do in the morning then.

Would like 1500 core absolutely stable.

Anything above is a bonus :)

Think I will have to dig through my games tomorrow and find something loaded with nvidia features...

Associate
Found the answer to my own question.

There were two biases listed, one that ups the power limit, and one that ups the limit and increases voltage. I got the one for just power .doh.

Something to do in the morning then.

Would like 1500 core absolutely stable.

Anything above is a bonus :)

Think I will have to dig through my games tomorrow and find something loaded with nvidia features...

Which 980 Tis do you have? Did you put them under water? 1500 on two cards would be a dream. :)

Soldato
Which 980 Tis do you have? Did you put them under water? 1500 on two cards would be a dream. :)

Two reference gigabyte cards, and yeah got them both under water with full cover blocks and backplates today.

Nice being back in two cards, but they can still put out an awful lot of heat. Still, there is enough less heat compared to the three 290x's that am at least able to drop fan speed again, making everything a bit quieter, which am happy about.

Soldato
Agnes , didn't you get your ACX yet ?

Gibbo said that it was 5 units came on friday and i thought you were the first .

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=28167127&postcount=172
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=28167152&postcount=174

Nothing arrived on Friday in the end... Or so I was told? I was told, multiple times, by OcUK staff I was 1st in line for the ACX's, nothing turned up, so this morning (Saturday 13th) I changed to the G1 as it's looking hopeful and plus it has my favorite cooler on it (Windforce, loved it on my 780) so why not...

I guess I was lied to, again. I don't know why I'm still putting up with it.

What a ****ing joke. Done with this company.

Gibbo, anything to say on the matter? Or should I just resort to an official complaint as there is more than enough clear evidence to support my situation. Why you guys still have my money is mostly down to my own stubborn self being with my main 'go to' for computer tech. But I'm starting to think this was a mistake.

Last edited:
Soldato
Two reference gigabyte cards, and yeah got them both under water with full cover blocks and backplates today.

Nice being back in two cards, but they can still put out an awful lot of heat. Still, there is enough less heat compared to the three 290x's that am at least able to drop fan speed again, making everything a bit quieter, which am happy about.

I will be putting mine under water tomorrow. What clocks you getting?

Associate

Awesome. I've got two superclocked ACXs coming which I plan to leave at stock for now. Soon I'll put them under water when the hydrocoppers are readily available and custom loop my entire system. 1500+ will make a big difference for sure. These chips love a good overclock.

Associate
Nothing arrived on Friday in the end... Or so I was told? I was told, multiple times, by OcUK staff I was 1st in line for the ACX's, nothing turned up, so this morning (Saturday 13th) I changed to the G1 as it's looking hopeful and plus it has my favorite cooler on it (Windforce, loved it on my 780) so why not...

I guess I was lied to, again. I don't know why I'm still putting up with it.

What a ****ing joke. Done with this company.

Gibbo, anything to say on the matter? Or should I just resort to an official complaint as there is more than enough clear evidence to support my situation. Why you guys still have my money is mostly down to my own stubborn self being with my main 'go to' for computer tech. But I'm starting to think this was a mistake.

To be honest your attitude is appalling.

Gibbo stated Around 5 units came in, that doesn't mean 5 units came in it is a rough estimate. Over the past two weeks you have been doing nothing but slating and whining.

ETA: 26/06/15

They have stated a big delivery next week. Deal with it and stop moaning.

Associate
I managed to get a refund for my 2 month old 980. Sent it back and I've been stuck with intel HD 4600 graphics for the past few days. I think I'm slowly going insane playing cod 4 at 44fps! Waiting to see what AMD have to offer on the 16th before i jump straight back into my student overdraft and get a new GPU haha.

Caporegime
I managed to get a refund for my 2 month old 980. Sent it back and I've been stuck with intel HD 4600 graphics for the past few days. I think I'm slowly going insane playing cod 4 at 44fps! Waiting to see what AMD have to offer on the 16th before i jump straight back into my student overdraft and get a new GPU haha.

This guy deserves a ****ing medal!! Hands together everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) :D :p

Not long my friend, not long... ;)

Back
Top Bottom