• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Associate
I have a question guys. If I buy the EVGA ACX 2.0 and put a waterblock on it can I keep the back plate on or is this only compatible with the ACX cooler? Also are there any difference between the EVGA and EK backplate?

Soldato
Do you guys use custom fan profile? I have a case with a good airflow (FT02) and I get 62/60'C idle in SLI with a standard profile.

Is your monitor at 144Hz by any chance? Anything over 120Hz and the NVIDIA cards don't go into powersaving mode so they stay at full baseclocks.

Im using the default fan profile in my H440.

Associate
Is your monitor at 144Hz by any chance? Anything over 120Hz and the NVIDIA cards don't go into powersaving mode so they stay at full baseclocks.

Im using the default fan profile in my H440.

Ah, that would explain it. I had no idea about it. Yes, my monitor is set at 144Hz. Thanks. I will have a look at how they behave at 120Hz.

Edit: It seems cards stay at full baseclocks even at lower refresh rates.

Last edited:
Associate
Can I ask what boost clock is estimated in GPU Z for that OC? A Gripen rig wouldn't be complete without three green beasts :p

You can get my settings here :) and don't worry the 3rd 980Ti is arriving tomorrow :D
980TiOC.jpg

980TIocsetting.jpg

Not bad :) Running a custom bios? I think my reference MSI boosts to 1160 so I'm thinking about flashing.

Standard BIOS. I just overclocked via MSI Afterburner (see above) :)
ASIC is 71% & 72% on the two cards.

Soldato
Well, mine was working strong last night, despite GTA V being a bit 'picky' on staying at 60fps with everything maxed... Still have to knock back grass density to very high from ultra.

Anyway, tit for tat haha.

So, I did stick an OC on the card, regardless of me saying I wouldn't...

I didn't up the voltage and I set the temp threshold to 85C.

With the default fan profile and volts, I managed to get 160mhz on the core and 200mhz on the memory.

Gave me a nice little clock, boost pushes up the core to about 1450mhz now.

As for temps, stays below 80C, mostly around the 75C/78C bracket. Fans never go above 45% and it's barely audible from my seat. In fact, I'm going to go as far as saying, it's the same as my old 780 Windforce 3x, if not, quieter...

In terms of performance. Witcher 3, my god, so, I had to crank a bunch of settings down on my 780 to get 60fps out and about, but mostly, it would sit around 45fps and down to 35fps in towns.

Now, it's a SOLID 60fps with everything max (aside from hairworks, sod that). But it's not just the frames, the game is DAMN fluid, smooth and just feels much better.

So, over all, very happy... And yes, I have decided. I'm going to watercool.

Associate
Well, mine was working strong last night, despite GTA V being a bit 'picky' on staying at 60fps with everything maxed... Still have to knock back grass density to very high from ultra.

Anyway, tit for tat haha.

So, I did stick an OC on the card, regardless of me saying I wouldn't...

I didn't up the voltage and I set the temp threshold to 85C.

With the default fan profile and volts, I managed to get 160mhz on the core and 200mhz on the memory.

Gave me a nice little clock, boost pushes up the core to about 1450mhz now.

As for temps, stays below 80C, mostly around the 75C/78C bracket. Fans never go above 45% and it's barely audible from my seat. In fact, I'm going to go as far as saying, it's the same as my old 780 Windforce 3x, if not, quieter...

In terms of performance. Witcher 3, my god, so, I had to crank a bunch of settings down on my 780 to get 60fps out and about, but mostly, it would sit around 45fps and down to 35fps in towns.

Now, it's a SOLID 60fps with everything max (aside from hairworks, sod that). But it's not just the frames, the game is DAMN fluid, smooth and just feels much better.

So, over all, very happy... And yes, I have decided. I'm going to watercool.

That's nice! My superclocked evga reference card is arriving on the 29th. Since it has a stated core of 1109 and boost of 1190 (off the top of my head) what actual boost should I be seeing?.

I'm coming from dual 7970s

Soldato
That's nice! My superclocked evga reference card is arriving on the 29th. Since it has a stated core of 1109 and boost of 1190 (off the top of my head) what actual boost should I be seeing?.

I'm coming from dual 7970s

I'll go back to defaults tonight and post. As I also want to crank it up to see exactly what the card is capable of.

Annoyingly, I'm in London today and won't be back until about 6pm (unless I find a pub... The Porterhouse is literally around the corner... Tempting!!!)

Back
Top Bottom