• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**AMD Fiji Thread**

OcUK Staff
Since Gibbo says it can't get to 1200MHz at stock voltage, reading between the lines we should be able to assume 1100-1150MHz is at least achievable at stock. This is a 10-15% clock boost without doing much. That should easily take it to TitanX level.

Once we get software that unlocks voltage I can see the core getting to 1250MHz + quite easily judging by how the 290X does with overclocking. I don't see the HBM holding back the gpu core even if it is new tech.

Ooooops

Last edited:
Soldato
It is, both Direct3D 12 and Vulkan (previously OpenGL Next) were in development before Mantle was released. The reason fanboys are humping the idea that they are both Mantle in disguise is firstly because Direct3D 12 is apparently low level (and Mantle is too) so they "must" be the same. And secondly because Vulkan is also low level and AMD gave Khronos the Mantle source to help them with it so it "must" be Mantle (despite Nvidia, Intel, Arm, Valve and literally over a dozen other companies also helping with the design).

I thought Vulkan was literally a fork of Mantle. I could quite easily be wrong, though.

Associate
Gibbo, why did you pit it against the G1 if I may ask? Isn't the Zotac AMP clocked even higher? (assuming it was your intention to compare it to the fastest 980Ti there is)

Underboss
So Gibbo, if you had to buy 1 card out of any 980Ti and Fury-X which would you chose?

Say from a gamer at 1440p+ perspective? Or is it still too early to tell?

Caporegime
Hi there

I did a test last night, I closed up my case but left the radiator just in the bottom of the case exhausting its heat inside the case, this is a really bad idea by the way, but I wanted to see how hot the card would get.

After running Heaven 4.0 all night, the maximum temperature was 58c and the fan speed never exceeded 16%, starting point percentage for the fan is 15%, so it was quieter than the case fans and I was able to sleep with no issues at all.

Here is a picture, its in a Corsair case with the smoked side panels, so its not easiest to see and ignore the SSD's just randomly hanging in the bottom of case:

IMG_3015.jpg

Interesting, as i was thinking of just mounting it at the bottom of my case next to the PSU (got a Phantom 820), instead of at the rear, so good to hear that its also ok like that. :)

OcUK Staff
So Gibbo, if you had to buy 1 card out of any 980Ti and Fury-X which would you chose?

Say from a gamer at 1440p+ perspective? Or is it still too early to tell?

To early to tell, I want to wait for the reviews to come where they test a lot more games at varying resolutions.

My home machine is 1080P and the games I play hardly tax such cards.

Soldato
Just matching a 980ti simple isn't good enough for AMD's next top product IMO.

WTF!!!

How is it that AMD are expected to beat Nvidia's top end card? AMD are literally a few weeks after 980Ti and you expect them to beat it convincingly?

All they need to do is trade blows for Fury to be a success. A viable AMD alternative is finally here(ish) and that is great for the consumer and for prices. If AMD Fury X was not close to release we would never see such great deals as a £499.99 AIB custom cooled 980Ti.

Well done AMD, even though I went for the great Zotac 980Ti AMP deal, I am delighted to see the Fury X is a viable alternative at the high end.

Back
Top Bottom