• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Associate
Does anyone know if the Strix will be longer than the G1? The G1's about 3mm longer (295mm) than my current card and I have about 10mm of clearance.

Soldato
Gibbo
I ordered the evga sc today i didnt realise there was 2 different models one with back plate so i rang overclockers the guy told me the plus version was better as it had back plate, put he also told tne the chip was better and it was cherry picked and would overclock better. Can you tell me if this is correct as i cannot find any info on this.
Nope, he's spinning you a tale. The only difference between the SC and SC+ is the backplate. EVGA only cherry pick GPUs for their high-end cards; KINGPIN and maybe Classified.

Associate
No that's fair comment :)

So these things supposed to do 1500MHz with no sweet?
Just need to up GPU core?
Whats the best application to overclock these days :D (Been out the loop for so long!)

Either Evga Precision or MSI afterburner (the latter lets you use and osd during games to monitor all kinds of things).

From Hardwareluxx:
With everything in place we managed to push the base clock of the card to 1296MHz. This in turn pushed the minimum boost clock to 1384MHz. While that was the minimum boost clock, during our testing we saw an extremely strong 1535MHz

Instead of telling you "what to type" I think the best thing is to watch one of the many video tutorials available for those programs, so you understand what each slider actually does :D

Associate
ordered a Inno X3 Ultra, are there custom bios floating around for more voltage ? I think its a reference PCB from what ive read just binned and massive cooler.

OcUK Staff
Gibbo
I ordered the evga sc today i didnt realise there was 2 different models one with back plate so i rang overclockers the guy told me the plus version was better as it had back plate, put he also told tne the chip was better and it was cherry picked and would overclock better. Can you tell me if this is correct as i cannot find any info on this.

This is wrong. Only Classified and KingPin cards have cherry picked GPU from EVGA.

Permabanned
Also just finished setting up and ordering these, finally a competitor to the EVGA Hybrid and if you ask me this looks far superior, faster clocks and LED lights. :D

Inno3D GeForce GTX 980Ti Hybrid Black Edition 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (C98TP-1SDN-N5HNX) @ £629.99 inc VAT

GX-057-IN_400.jpg

Only £629.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

I've been waiting on this one...BOOM...ordered!

Now the agonising wait begins :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Either Evga Precision or MSI afterburner (the latter lets you use and osd during games to monitor all kinds of things).

From Hardwareluxx:
With everything in place we managed to push the base clock of the card to 1296MHz. This in turn pushed the minimum boost clock to 1384MHz. While that was the minimum boost clock, during our testing we saw an extremely strong 1535MHz

Instead of telling you "what to type" I think the best thing is to watch one of the many video tutorials available for those programs, so you understand what each slider actually does :D

Cheers. I still remember MSI Afterburner, good to hear its still being used. Will do so :)

Incidentally, Im sure its not a case of just increasing clock, surely need to up the Gcore as well, are there any reports on how much extra voltage is needed to start off with?

Soldato
Is 8GB DDR3 Memory a bottleneck for these cards would you say? On the Nvidia site I remember seeing 16GB recommended, a few months ago I had to sell 2 of my sticks to fit a new cooler after going back to air so I only have 2x4GB sticks in my system right now.

Of the games I have tried so far all be it rather demanding games I was expecting better performance considering for the time being I am only running on a 27" 1920x180 monitor. Some of it could be game or driver related I don't know, but TW3 has occasional stutter when moving into new areas (feels the same when running games off a regular hard drive and you can tell when textures are been loaded). Thought I would give Assassin's Creed Black Flag a proper go and that also feels a little stuttery in places, GTA V for the best part is ok, Project Cars I have not tried enough but in some places also stuttery.

So, could 8GB memory be a factor for this would you say? Most games I run at ultra with AA usually very low like FXAA. I expected better performance from this card unless there is something else potentially wrong. This is the same with no overclock or as I presently have it +200 on the core and +200 on the memory.

Associate
Is 8GB DDR3 Memory a bottleneck for these cards would you say? On the Nvidia site I remember seeing 16GB recommended, a few months ago I had to sell 2 of my sticks to fit a new cooler after going back to air so I only have 2x4GB sticks in my system right now.

Of the games I have tried so far all be it rather demanding games I was expecting better performance considering for the time being I am only running on a 27" 1920x180 monitor. Some of it could be game or driver related I don't know, but TW3 has occasional stutter when moving into new areas (feels the same when running games off a regular hard drive and you can tell when textures are been loaded). Thought I would give Assassin's Creed Black Flag a proper go and that also feels a little stuttery in places, GTA V for the best part is ok, Project Cars I have not tried enough but in some places also stuttery.

So, could 8GB memory be a factor for this would you say? Most games I run at ultra with AA usually very low like FXAA. I expected better performance from this card unless there is something else potentially wrong. This is the same with no overclock or as I presently have it +200 on the core and +200 on the memory.
I am interested in this too, Im running 8GB and have a 980Ti coming, is there any gaming performance reason to upgrade to 16GB of Ram.

Soldato
Not for gaming guys, 8gb is still plenty.

Great, I was considering my options to go back to water or H100i for example and put an extra 8Gb back in but if not needed I will leave everything as it is and see if I can see if anything else is potentially slowing (some of) the games down.

Interested to know why Nvidia would recommend 16GB Memory though if 8GB is enough :confused:

Associate
Doubt anyone has been lucky enough to get their hands on all the different models yet, but any word yet on temperature comparisons between the various coolers?

Back
Top Bottom