• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Associate
Mine doesn't OC very well. Stock voltages with 1200 core base it can crash. I think it's due to an old PSU (Cooler Master M850) which thankfully is getting replaced tomorrow.

Associate
Looking for some help to work through my thinking here and a discovery so might be worth posting it up for other Zotac amp users.

Here is the bios voltage table

zotacampvoltage.jpg

From this table the top line shows the max possible voltage the Zotac AMP can draw as 1,250mv.

If you follow this down the voltage table.....

zotacampvoltage2.jpg

You should see that the GPU bios has been limited. As the max allowed total voltage is 1,250mv according to the voltage table the GPU will only ever be able to boost voltage to table number 68. All other higher entries have been purposefully closed off but remain? Curious....

Here is the boost clock table

zotacampboost.jpg

So following through the logic the maximum boost available to the zotac amp is - 1367mhz.

Now it begs the question why are the other clocks locked off given that cards are hitting higher speed like the G1. I suspect that this is locked out because there will be an AMP extreme edition that will have the full bios available.

Conspiracy theory perhaps but it stands to reason they might artificially limit the bioses of an AMP if it could boost to the speed of an AMP extreme as it would make the AMP extreme redundant?

My actual card throttle it's voltage to 1.162V so that it can stay within the 110% TDP. I am guessing other cards will do the same. This it will never reach the higher boost speeds even though it is perfectly capable of doing so. The AMP extreme will probably come with a higher TDP set in the bios thus appearing to boost higher when in reality most normal and indeed reference cards could probably hit the top boost bins if the bios was just "enabled".

Thoughts?

I have considered the possibility that my card has a bios unique to it but I honestly cannot envisage Zotac testing every card and adjusting the voltage tables for each one. The manpower alone to do that would be crazy. I think it is more likely they have purposefully restricted voltage table entries so that our normal AMP's never boost themselves to boost bins that will be "reserved" for the amp extreme. The argument will probably be that the extreme has 2 x 8 pin so can support a higher TDP?

Last edited:
Associate
The EVGA Superclocked ACX 2.0+ was a stonking deal at £539.99, well do OCUK. Smashing 1480mhz on the core on stock volts and whisper quiet.

Associate
Oh mine actually boosts itself to 1470mhz but that is using voltage offset and that is different.

This is looking at the standard boost table without offset. So in effect if you don't use the core speed offset your card would never get past table entry 67 no matter how much juice you gave it.

I think what they have done is restricted the boost of the core to maintain the TDP based on the 6pin and 8pin connectors but that's conservative and I suspect if you increase the TDP limits and alter the voltage table you will see the card reach all the way to boost table entry 74.

Hence the custom bioses going about. I just find it interesting that they are purposefully restricting things and wonder the reasoning behind it.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Hence the custom bioses going about. I just find it interesting that they are purposefully restricting things and wonder the reasoning behind it.

1: Warranty issues.
2: Not everyone who buys a Titan X will have a good case with good cooling.

Associate
Well finally remembered me password got mine Friday but got a rattle with the fans hope I don't have to RMA. Anyone with the same card had similar problems?
IMG_20150626_120732_1_zpsw2t4et0v.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Soldato
Looking for some help to work through my thinking here and a discovery so might be worth posting it up for other Zotac amp users.

Here is the bios voltage table
zotacampvoltage.jpg

From this table the top line shows the max possible voltage the Zotac AMP can draw as 1,250mv.

If you follow this down the voltage table.....

zotacampvoltage2.jpg

You should see that the GPU bios has been limited. As the max allowed total voltage is 1,250mv according to the voltage table the GPU will only ever be able to boost voltage to table number 68. All other higher entries have been purposefully closed off but remain? Curious....

Here is the boost clock table

zotacampboost.jpg
So following through the logic the maximum boost available to the zotac amp is - 1367mhz.

Now it begs the question why are the other clocks locked off given that cards are hitting higher speed like the G1. I suspect that this is locked out because there will be an AMP extreme edition that will have the full bios available.

Conspiracy theory perhaps but it stands to reason they might artificially limit the bioses of an AMP if it could boost to the speed of an AMP extreme as it would make the AMP extreme redundant?

My actual card throttle it's voltage to 1.162V so that it can stay within the 110% TDP. I am guessing other cards will do the same. This it will never reach the higher boost speeds even though it is perfectly capable of doing so. The AMP extreme will probably come with a higher TDP set in the bios thus appearing to boost higher when in reality most normal and indeed reference cards could probably hit the top boost bins if the bios was just "enabled".

Thoughts?

I have considered the possibility that my card has a bios unique to it but I honestly cannot envisage Zotac testing every card and adjusting the voltage tables for each one. The manpower alone to do that would be crazy. I think it is more likely they have purposefully restricted voltage table entries so that our normal AMP's never boost themselves to boost bins that will be "reserved" for the amp extreme. The argument will probably be that the extreme has 2 x 8 pin so can support a higher TDP?

I dont think you are reading it right ?

On the common tab it tells you the boost limit.
Mine is 1392mhz
On the Boost table that makes mine 74
The clocks are not locked out. I dont understand where you see this on the BIOS Tweaker.
My Zotac reference can do greater than 1400mhz boost.
1250 mV in your screenshot is actually no 69 not 68.

I would imagine yours is also 74 but 1443mhz. On the boost table
the boost limit is usually the last green entry after the yellow on the right.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well finally remembered me password got mine Friday but got a rattle with the fans hope I don't have to RMA. Anyone with the same card had similar problems?
IMG_20150626_120732_1_zpsw2t4et0v.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hello mate! Fellow Inno3D ultra owner here :) Love this card, but no rattle to speak of. How is this manifesting itself exactly if you haven't tried it yet?

Associate
a bit late with mine, picked it up 3 weeks ago. Just got the water block on today and testing at the moment before I tidy up the cabling a bit. The new 980ti replaces tri-sli Titans so it looks a little lonely in there. :)

_DSC1275_zpsyoktgriq.jpg

_DSC1273_zpsw5cmtqqx.jpg

Associate
I dont think you are reading it right ?

On the common tab it tells you the boost limit.
Mine is 1392mhz
On the Boost table that makes mine 74
The clocks are not locked out. I dont understand where you see this on the BIOS Tweaker.
My Zotac reference can do greater than 1400mhz boost.
1250 mV in your screenshot is actually no 69 not 68.

I would imagine yours is also 74 but 1443mhz. On the boost table
the boost limit is usually the last green entry after the yellow on the right.

Think you are right about 69 but disagree about the 74 because the voltage table says it needs to provide a minimum of 1281mv to boost to that entry. Infact every line above 69 does. If you cant get overvolt to 1281mv in the first place the card will never reach entry 74.

See here http://www.overclock.net/t/1522651/disable-boost-and-bake-in-max-game-stable-clocks-for-maxwell

Step 5 implies you need the first entry to be your highest voltage. In my bios as you saw is 1250mv but 70 and above boost table need minimum 1281mv to achieve.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom