• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Caporegime
mines still at the depot, bet it comes around 5pm or something lame :(
only had 5 hours sleep last night, was expecting an early delivery as always

oh wait just got a text from my friend saying it's here

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

DPD just delivered my Zotac reference 980ti this morning. Must say I am hugely disappointed so far. I haven't got it into the PC yet so it might be a great card, but I didn't get a single bag of Haribo.

Overclockers, why hath thou forsaken me???

I got two bags with mine - maybe they put your bag in my box ;)

IMAG0093_zpskmp8faxo.jpg

Associate
For SLI am I best getting Reference models - or would SLI with the MSI G6 be suitable?

This is more for thinking ahead, I doubt I could stretch to two cards just now.

Soldato
No mate I can do it myself.

With the Guest RMA it shouldn't matter. Goes through the serial number for any new buyers.

Has anyone taken the cooler off the Zotac AMP? Or can find photos of one that has been? Trying to find out if it has a cold plate or if the cooler is direct contact. I'm guessing the latter but want to be certain.

Soldato
For SLI am I best getting Reference models - or would SLI with the MSI G6 be suitable?

That depends entirely on your chassis, how good is its airflow and do you mind the rest of the system's temps going up.

With the reference coolers all the air is exhausted out the back, but with open air blowers it's pushed into the chassis.

So it greatly depends on your chassis, if it's not great for airflow like lets say the H440 the reference ones and the open blowers will perform the same, but the CPU and Mobo temps might increase.

I have two reference Superclocked cards in my H440, and they're always at 83-84 degrees under 90-100% load. Not loud at all on the default fan profile and they always maintain their 1290Mhz clocks without throttling.

Personally I'm happy.

Last edited:
Soldato

In my experience the blowers on the reference coolers are generally the best unless you have one of the best cases for airflow. Most aftermarket coolers get pretty loud, especially after a hour or so of gaming because a lot of the hot air isn't being vented efficiently.

I have a couple of Zotac AMPs and couldn't recommend them for SLi in the 750D for example. On their own they are fine though. You might be ok if you go with something like the G1, assuming of course you are willing to pay the ridiculous premium they go for.

Associate
That depends entirely on your chassis, how good is its airflow and do you mind the rest of the system's temps going up.

With the reference coolers all the air is exhausted out the back, but with open air blowers it's pushed into the chassis.

So it greatly depends on your chassis, if it's not great for airflow like lets say the H440 the reference ones and the open blowers will perform the same, but the CPU and Mobo temps might increase.

I have two reference Superclocked cards in my H440, and they're always at 83-84 degrees under 90-100% load. Not loud at all on the default fan profile and they always maintain their 1290Mhz clocks without throttling.

Personally I'm happy.

I have the same H440 case as you so thats really good to know, particularly the low noise levels.

I will be purchasing (1 initially) the EVGA GeForce GTX 980Ti Superclocked "Reference Design" 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (06G-P4-4992-KR)

Soldato
I have the same H440 case as you so thats really good to know, particularly the low noise levels.

I will be purchasing (1 initially) the EVGA GeForce GTX 980Ti Superclocked "Reference Design" 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (06G-P4-4992-KR)

I know noise is subjective to people, but the loudest part in my system is the H110iGT's stock corsair fans.

Here's a little video I uploaded just after getting my cards and running 3DMark for a few loops.

The Camera is exactly where my chair at the desk is.s The h440 might not be great for airflow, but it does a grand job at keeping it relatively quiet under max load. 35 db on average with a max of 39.

Last edited:
Soldato
I know noise is subjective to people, but the loudest part in my system is the H110iGT's stock corsair fans.

Here's a little video I uploaded just after getting my cards and running 3DMark for a few loops.

The Camera is exactly where my chair at the desk is.s The h440 might not be great for airflow, but it does a grand job at keeping it relatively quiet under max load. 35 db on average with a max of 39.

Nice video, very professional. :)

Would be interested to see what temps folks with G1 SLI and 6G are getting though.

Indeed, although you'd need room temps that were nearly the same to make any results comparable.

Associate
Would be interested to see what temps folks with G1 SLI and 6G are getting though.

Yesterday (so a hot day) I was getting 63 on one card and 54 on the other playing 2033 Redux - custom fan profile - fans sitting at 60%. That's with them OC'd to 1262 core and 2000 Mem. All housed in a Fractal R2 XL so plenty of space :D

Missed out, that's a pair of G1s

Associate
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_980_ti_gaming_oc_review,35.html

His clocks are no where near but the difference is huge. I doubt Vram will add another 15-20FPS. Could it be down to the CPU (5960X @4.4GHZ)?

It could be the processor - I am on an older i7 and have havd to lower the clock down to 4.6 within the last few days due to instability, I had quick look but I couldnt see what settings were being used on the 1440p run either - could be 1440p with different settings, I'l have a look and see if something was fishy with my results then :)

Associate
It could be the processor - I am on an older i7 and have havd to lower the clock down to 4.6 within the last few days due to instability, I had quick look but I couldnt see what settings were being used on the 1440p run either - could be 1440p with different settings, I'l have a look and see if something was fishy with my results then :)

If you go to the Bioshock Infinite page of the review, he uses the same settings as us so yeah pretty big difference.

Btw is anyone experiencing throttling at 65c? My voltage and boost drop once it reaches that point and will steadily decline as temps goes higher. I thought the temp target was 84c for throttling?

Soldato
Has anyone with a Zotac Amp found that you can overclock so far on stock volts, but then no amount of voltage will get you any further? I get mine boosting to 1428 core on stock volts, but god help me if I can get another 50Mhz out of it no matter what volts I give it.

I was wondering if maybe the voltage isn't being applied by MSI AB. Do I need to do anything special?

Back
Top Bottom