• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Associate
So I have my heart set on the MSI 6G when I get home from travelling in August. The question is, should I upgrade my processor to a 4790k as well? Or wait for skylake? I have only recently upgraded to z97 and have severely lost the silicon lottery with my current 4670k. Its a stupidly hot chip and I can only squeeze 4.0 - 4.2 Ghz out of it at reasonable temps, even with it delidded. Also does the MSI 6G bounce off the power limiter when overclocked with voltage? I'm planning on squeezing every last drop of performance put of this card for benchmarking.

Associate
hello,

Well I got my EVGA 980ti Hybrid set up and it's running like a dream. I have a stable overclock boost to 1450 and it's whisper quiet and never gets hotter than 45 degrees even at peak gaming. Delighted with my purchase and the 5 year warranty, it oozes quality.

Benchmarks scores are a huge increase from what I was getting on my 780ti at 8500 in Firestrike Extreme (vs. 5400 on my 780ti OC). I think I'm held back slightly due to the ASIC quality on my card only being 65.8 but I'm delighted with those results and can see a huge difference in my games...plus my PC doesn't sound like a lawnmower any more when I used to stress out my 780ti Gigabyte windforce...that card was LOUD!

Now there is one piece where I need some help...

I recently bought some NF-S12A 120 mm fans. I'm pleased to say that while all 6 work, there is one fan that doesn't work when I fit it to my EVGA 980ti Hybrid all in one cooler.

This fan is replacing the stock fan that came with the All In One Cooler and uses a 2 pin header from the EVGA Card. I've tried swapping out fans from different brands as well as different noctua fans but for some reason, the Noctua fans are the only ones that don't work. The original fan that came with hybrid works just fine...

Is there a special requirement or restriction on the NF-S12A that prevents it from working with a 2 pin fan header?

I look forward to your advice as my preference would be to have all of my fans as noctua fans rather than have an odd one out by putting back the original stock fan.

Thanks,

Joe_Easy

zia

zia

Associate
2 pin is just missing the rpm signal wire.i would try plugging it onto motherboard header and using it that way.you could control the fan via bios.

Zia

Associate
Well I had a strix pre-ordered as i was assuming it would be the most silent 980Ti but after seeing the review is looks like the MSI gaming still holds that crown! Time to switch my order, bit annoying as i could have had the MSI card weeks ago!

Associate
2 pin is just missing the rpm signal wire.i would try plugging it onto motherboard header and using it that way.you could control the fan via bios.

Zia

Zia - That was genius and worked perfectly. In hindsight...should have tried that to begin with as it's an obvious fix and actually a better outcome as I now have full fan control from the MB, which you don't have from the AIO card itself.

Thanks for the help! One of the reasons I love this community.

Card is even cooler now, going to try another benchmark run and see if I can squeeze any more Mhz out of the card...

Caporegime
Good thought arknor, though one of the first things i do when I get a card, is smack that right up to prefer Max performance. I did double check in case I forgot but its deffinitley on so not sure what else it could be?
tbh no idea then maybe you just have a pathetic card that wants to voltage limit all the time like mine but I've had no issues playing gtav or csgo fps doesn't bounce all over, I just get a really crap boost because the card reaches the max vcore to easily by needing more volts than a better asic would for the default clocks
HzLU1Sd.jpg

how far does your card boost by default?
mine only goes to 1291 or sometimes 1304mhz although I can add 100 to core on stock volts and run at 1400 after boost and seemingly no issues

55is probably about as low as they go before they start binning cards, most peoples seem to be around 68-80

you can monitor your card in game via afterburner to see what it's doing
just select the setting above and tick the box I arrowed for each one you want visible in the corner
12ktLVK.jpg
MTkUwxx.jpg

I did see on another forum someone saying there gpu acts weird as soon as it hits 65c the card acts like it's throttling for them and the gpu utilisation starts bouncing

BTW some games and app don't detect the cards memory properly and think it only has 4gb, I guess theyre 32bit or something maybe that could cause an issue if the game thinks your running out of video memory

Last edited:
Soldato
tbh no idea then maybe you just have a pathetic card that wants to voltage limit all the time like mine but I've had no issues playing gtav or csgo fps doesn't bounce all over

My card is the same, Afterburner shows it hits the voltage limit @ stock but it still overclocks fairly well and is stable gaming. :confused: I was wondering if it was an error on Afterburner or just how these cards are? Not sure either way as I never checked these values before on my previous card.

Caporegime
My card is the same, Afterburner shows it hits the voltage limit @ stock but it still overclocks fairly well and is stable gaming. :confused: I was wondering if it was an error on Afterburner or just how these cards are? Not sure either way as I never checked these values before on my previous card.

mine goes to 1.1930 or whatever on the volts, bios on the msi locks it at 1.230
but even if I up the volts all the way to the bios lock I only get like 30mhz more boost when some peoples cards are boosting to around 1400-1500 on average apparently.

mine just does a crappy 1304mhz , the guaranteed boost is 1228mhz in normal mode so my card does +76mhz boost.
If I add 100mhz to the core it still boosts by about +76mhz anyway for a total of around 1400

the gpu boost settings are probably really conservative numbers to guarantee no issues, like usuing more volts than it really needs.

I don't think I've ever had a gpu with over 68% asic rating :(

Last edited:
Associate
ooh hello my lovely, nice to meet you...

980ti.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
AdiHjUR.jpg

So I got the noctua fans working (thanks again for the tip Zia) on the AIO cooler and my new EVGA Hybrid is installed and working very well.

I wasn't quite getting the Overclock I was hoping for but when I did some more research, it looked liked it was mainly a driver issue rather than something with the card...going direct to the Nvidia site to download the hotfix driver 353.38 got my OC sorted and let me hit 1500mhz on my card with temps of around 44 degrees and whisper quiet and stable for quite a few runs now.

Just as an FYI, I always assumed that because I had GeForce Experience installed I would always have the latest drivers. When I refreshed the drivers in GeForce experience, it said my drivers were up to date so I assumed I had the latest. Doing a quick search through this thread and others on this forum, I realised that there was a newer driver...anyways...2 birds with one stone as the new driver also resolved an issue I was having with Chrome that I was blaming on Chrome in addition to helping me achieve a better Overclock...

New Firestrike Extreme result is 8800 overall and a graphics score of 9582. Delighted with that performance and whisper quiet...

Amazing what a difference a quiet graphics card and fans make...have been doing double takes every time I start up my PC compared to the noise my gigabyte 780ti windforce used to make :)

Soldato
mine goes to 1.93 or whatever on the volts, bios on the msi locks it at 2.3
but even if I up the volts all the way to the bios lock I only get like 30mhz more boost when some peoples cards are boosting to around 1400-1500 on average apparently.

mine just does a crappy 1304mhz , the guaranteed boost is 1228mhz in normal mode so my card does +76mhz boost.
If I add 100mhz to the core it still boosts by about +76mhz anyway.

the gpu boost settings are probably really conservative numbers to guarantee no issues, like usuing more volts than it really needs

My card is a reference stock card so the stock boost only hits 1189Mhz with no extra voltage added, this is with 1.187mv. I have had it running fine @ 1450Mhz on stock voltages for a few hours. If I manually push the card I can get @ 1510Mhz (1.23mv) for benching but I normally use 1475Mhz for gaming with a bit of added mv.

I'm not sure why it showing as hitting the voltage limit on stock tho? :confused:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom