• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Associate
I've spoken to three people today and they are all seeing the same thing.

It cant be a temp issue as I am custom water and my temps are below 40c. I just find it strange that as soon as the gpu hits any sort of load the voltage limit flags up with a 1 on Afterburner? At first I was wondering if it was only my card but it seems not. If anyone else could check Afterbuner or shed some light on this that would be great. :)

Yeah that is odd do you have a full cover block? Could still be a vrm temp issue if you dont. Voltage regulators getting too hot would reduce their performance and to maintain good function i could see the card dropping voltage to keep the vrms happy.

What is your voltage at ful load? Mines 1205mv. Bios allows for max 1250mv but i never see it applied to the card even using kboost on precision. Another theory i have is 1250mv is max for a crappy chip but good chips that require low voltage to hit stock speeds then cant hit the max because that would be adding more than 87mv. We might be seeing a lower max voltage because our starting voltage is lower. Just a thought anyway not sure all gpus have the same starting voltage.

Could still be afterburner bug. Post on guru3d unwinder might answer.

Afterburner is slightly out on power limit. If you set 110% the power graph never shows 110%.

Suspect this is just measuring error.

Associate
When it's Summer, and the top card is sweating its ******** off then I *think* I'd want the extra cooling power of the G1 ;) :cool:

Maybe we can have G1 on top and MSI underneath?? :p
I've had both the G1, returned it for coil whine, and now been using the Gaming 6G. And considering how quite the Gaming card is, its cooling pretty close to the G1 so far if you use a custom fan curve. My 6G at 90-100% fan curve is still much much more silent then the G1, and no I'm not exxagerating. Gigabyte literally made a jet engine. :D
Now that the recent summer heat has returned to a normal temprature in my country, I can see that this card is keeping cool like a champ tbh. Playing GTAV for an hour, and it peaks maximum at 64-65c, with fan speed at 90-100% though. It can stay much cooler, once ambient tempratures return completely to normal where I live. My room temprature can go up to 28-29c, ye I know isolation is screwed up in my house.
I don't know, it seems I just have a very positive experience with the Twin Frozr cards. I can tell you this though, the G1 are overclockable like crazy, at least my previous one was. I could probably do 180+core perhaps even 200 I hadnt tried yet, all without voltage increase ACIS of 89% on the G1. My current Gaming card struggles at anything beyond 150+ with ACIS of 69%. But I still prefer the Gaming card myself.
I have a second one coming in soon. GTAV is allready running at 80-90 fps average at 2560x1440 2x msaa with a 4790k at 4.8Ghz and one 6G card currently. I love the smoothness so far, I'm hoping in SLI, it will help smoothen the motion clarity with my RoG Swift even better. Will be my first time I've tried SLI, I guess I'l find out if my experience will become sour or a positive one.

Last edited:
Associate
Not sure this is quite correct, ive got a hybrid which boosts to 1340mhz and no matter whether I put +100 or +150 and any amount of extra voltage it still bounces around 1450mhz.

This is all whilst the core doesnt get anywhere near 60c.

I thought it might be the VRM's making hit a thermal limit but even increasing the stock fan (on the GPU itself) it still doesnt make any difference.

Id be interested to hear what others are finding?

It's the power limit your hitting. Mine does the same. Use Msi AB osd then you can see a % of power and the power limit, as soon as it gets to 110% the limit monitor shows me a 1 and the card clocks down to 1454 and stays there until the power drops back down. I'm using Msi card btw. There is a bios that ups the power limit quite a bit to around 425w i think.

Associate
G1 like a jet engine? You post more and more absurd things every week.
Well, I've had them both. The G1 at 60% fan speed was louder then my current Twin Frozr 6G at 100%. This is not even counting the coil whine to it either, that alone was quite annoying for me. But as I said, the G1 was a mighty overclocker, I'm not trying to put Gigabyte down here.

Associate
Can i ask some advice please guys.

I have a msi 6g gaming and am just trying to push it a little further.
It has a ASIC value of 78.8 so thought it would be a good clocker, it boosts to 1380 at stock but if i add just 100 to the core and memory, its stable but it keeps downclocking a little. It looks like to me, i am hitting the voltage limit, power limit and utilization limit but the max power reported by cpu-z is only 106% so im a bit confused! In the GPS-z box, perfcap reason, the blue bit is saying "VREL Limited by reliability voltage". Is there a way around this, i havent applied any over voltage but if i do, will that not make it worse?
Im scoring over 19975 on firestrike on GPU score which is pretty good when considering im running at 2500k@4400 but i want to get over that 20000 mark! Temperature seems fine?

Thanks for any advice
ScreenShot001_zpsa0bkb4hb.jpg~original

So you are saying UP the vcore voltage and see what happens, will it not make it worse?

Associate
My g1 was also like a jet engine, it was a horrible loud sound, I compared it to my wife's hairdryer!
So I suppose its not as absurd as one may think. Because that was my experience as well.
Anyways, to those not bothered by noise and coil whine as well... Gigabyte has one hell of a card when it comes to cooling and overclocking. For me personally though, Twin Frozr it is.

Associate
What are the best drivers to use right now? Someone already mentioned it a few pages back but cannot find it.

I'm on 353.38 and they seem ok. The only thing i've noticed is the white writing in GTAO flashes on and off at the end of a mission when it tells you how much RP and cash you've made. This didn't happen on my AMD card but it is not something that bothers me.

Associate
I'm on 353.38 and they seem ok. The only thing i've noticed is the white writing in GTAO flashes on and off at the end of a mission when it tells you how much RP and cash you've made. This didn't happen on my AMD card but it is not something that bothers me.

I cannot find those drivers on the Nvidia website.

Soldato
Then you had a faulty card or doing something wrong. I work from home so my PC has to be silent, its right next to me at shoulder height, case open or closed, its very quiet. I've had 2 g1s, first developed a fault, second one installed a couple of days ago, both very quiet.

Soldato
Yeah that is odd do you have a full cover block? Could still be a vrm temp issue if you dont. Voltage regulators getting too hot would reduce their performance and to maintain good function i could see the card dropping voltage to keep the vrms happy.

What is your voltage at ful load? Mines 1205mv. Bios allows for max 1250mv but i never see it applied to the card even using kboost on precision. Another theory i have is 1250mv is max for a crappy chip but good chips that require low voltage to hit stock speeds then cant hit the max because that would be adding more than 87mv. We might be seeing a lower max voltage because our starting voltage is lower. Just a thought anyway not sure all gpus have the same starting voltage.

Could still be afterburner bug. Post on guru3d unwinder might answer.

Afterburner is slightly out on power limit. If you set 110% the power graph never shows 110%.

Suspect this is just measuring error.

Yeah I have a full cover block and the vrms are actively cooled. :)

My voltage on full load @ stock settings is 1.187mv and if I load it up with +87 it rises to 1.23mv.

Good shout about posting on guru3d I will give that a punt and hopefully the man himself might answer.

On a side note anyone tried the new hotfix drivers 353.45? They don't seem to allow as higher overclocks as the previous ones.

Back
Top Bottom