• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Soldato
Having issues with my SLI 980ti in a couple of games, it's the blue squares/lockup crash for Witcher 3 & Atilla.

It passes benchmarks fine, leaving them for quite a long time - Firestrike, Heaven/Valley which makes me think it may be either software or potentially clock instability related (but they have been a number of benchmarks easily).

So far I've done a driversweep, disabled the audiodriver/no GFexperience or junk & downclocked slightly (from 1450 to 1400) - this I'm testing now to see if it helps, but I'm unsure if this may be a game specific issue, a hardware problem or maybe a driver issue.

Power for the two cards was in the 80's, heat in the low 70's.

Test individually mate.

Your suspicion of clock is probably right.

My ti bench's fine at 1500....put pcars on and boom. Its only happy at 1440 MHz.

Associate
Razor, you say you had the fans at 70% on your Amp Extreme for benching, how loud were they at that speed? Gaming/benching at under 60c sounds like a dream, especially at these clocks. Can't wait to get home to my card.

Associate
You could definitely hear it. Not something I would keep for gaming (where the fans never exceed 40%). Even benching with the stock curve, I've never seen the card past 70 degrees (with 25 in the room, so in a few months it'll probably stay around 60).

Associate
That is just awesome. Do you play any of the arma games? Even dayz standalone? Just to get an idea of multiplayer performance. And does the card handle project cars just fine without crashes? Sorry for the bombardment of questions, the only review online is the guru3d one so I have nothing to indicate what kind of performance I will see till I get home in almost a month.

Associate
To be honest I've only been playing GTA Online and The Witcher 3 in the last month.
GTA online being quite taxing with MSAAx4 @ 1440p.
The Witcher 3 is also known for being ruthless towards overclock. Everything smooth, quiet and cool (still 1500/8000, 111% power (never reaches even 101 though) 0+ mV on the core, don't see why any other game would be different.

So yeah, give it a few more days and more people will realize this is just as good (if not better) as the 6G and G1.

The problem with the manufacturers arriving late - Asus, KFA HoF, Classified - is that people who buy high end cards, usually can't wait to spend their money. Msi and Gigabyte took most of the custom 980ti's market.
I also try to buy as soon as possible, so that the investment can "last longer", until the next gen arrives.

Last edited:
Soldato
Has anyone ever noticed that if you have a G-Sync monitor it caps the FPS even in Firestrike? Might not seem like it makes much difference but disabling it meant I finally got over 143f FPS in Graphics Test 1.

First time I payed attention to the fps during the test and noticed it behaved like a game where it won't go over 143/144.

Associate
Has anyone ever noticed that if you have a G-Sync monitor it caps the FPS even in Firestrike? Might not seem like it makes much difference but disabling it meant I finally got over 143f FPS in Graphics Test 1.

First time I payed attention to the fps during the test and noticed it behaved like a game where it won't go over 143/144.

For benchmarking you need to disable GSync for that reason.

Soldato

Gsync reverts to Vsync when it reaches the max Hz of the monitor. This is why you should set a frame cap 1fps less than your current set refresh rate.

I.E. If you have the monitor set at 120Hz, then set a frame cap of 119fps in the game. This way, Gsync is always working.

Back
Top Bottom