• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Soldato
no why should they the card isn't faulty. The laws changed iirc and now they can charge a restocking fee and that includes sending an item back you have used but is still covered under DSR. The card has to be sold as B grade now and there have been a few members here who have reported when they bought a g1 from ocuk it was used.

I agree, the card isn't faulty. The whine annoys me as an enthusiast but some may not even have noticed it. As I say, when the frames are high enough for whine there's fan noise there too so it's not that bad. It was more the resale I was worried about.

Bailey did check the serial number and said my card was definitely not a return, so maybe some are being churned out without fan shroud film?

Besides the whine, the card is very impressive.

Soldato
This is a video I took this morning showing the coil whine on my Gigabyte G1 when loading Witcher 3.

Gigabyte G1 Gaming Coil whine

BTW the whine is much louder than it sounds on the video, the camera mic makes the fan noise seem louder than the whine, but the high pitched whine travels further outside the case.

Last edited:
Associate
I finally decided to cancel my order on the second 980 Ti. I couldn't get myself to do it in the end, the SLI. Was worrying too much about compatibility issues, driver issues, added input lag, lesser convenience, micro-stutter, perfomance underwhelming with 15-20% extra minimum fps and 50% extra maximum or average fps.

Oh well, 1 980 Ti Gaming 6G is allready just so fast even at 1440p 144Hz. I think I'l save myself the issues, and replace this card next year with a cheaper Pascal alternative. Who knows Windows 10 and DX12 could make multi-gpu usage more positive experience.

Permabanned
I agree, the card isn't faulty. The whine annoys me as an enthusiast but some may not even have noticed it. As I say, when the frames are high enough for whine there's fan noise there too so it's not that bad. It was more the resale I was worried about.

Bailey did check the serial number and said my card was definitely not a return, so maybe some are being churned out without fan shroud film?

Besides the whine, the card is very impressive.

my bad sorry, I thought the fan noise annoyed you. If it has coil whine and is bad then return it.

Soldato
So whilst my card seems to bench at 1480-1500, there is a little in stability in some games (nvmddlmkm driver crashes) and a lot in games like project cars.

I'm now running my card with the MSI gaming card using the their Gaming App, and I've set it to OC mode. This boosts to 1380, dropping to 1362. I've managed to do about 2 hours none stop gaming in pcars with no crash.

At stock my msi 6g boots to 1340, which is 61Mhz higher than advertised 1279.

Soldato
So whilst my card seems to bench at 1480-1500, there is a little in stability in some games (nvmddlmkm driver crashes) and a lot in games like project cars.

I'm now running my card with the MSI gaming card using the their Gaming App, and I've set it to OC mode. This boosts to 1380, dropping to 1362. I've managed to do about 2 hours none stop gaming in pcars with no crash.

At stock my msi 6g boots to 1340, which is 61Mhz higher than advertised 1279.

MSI Afterburner causes instability issues on my PC, even if I don't overclock my card. I've started to run EVGA PrecisionX instead, and so far it seems like it's solved my problem. I was even able to run a FireStrike Ultra loop all night with +100Mhz on the core. Previously Afterburner would cause 3DMark to crash after ~1 hour, even with polling set to 5000ms and low-level IO whatever-its-called disabled.

Soldato
MSI Afterburner causes instability issues on my PC, even if I don't overclock my card. I've started to run EVGA PrecisionX instead, and so far it seems like it's solved my problem. I was even able to run a FireStrike Ultra loop all night with +100Mhz on the core.

Where you getting nvmddlmkm errors?

I might try that then. Although it seems fine at the moment, but without much overclock.

Associate
I finally decided to cancel my order on the second 980 Ti. I couldn't get myself to do it in the end, the SLI. Was worrying too much about compatibility issues, driver issues, added input lag, lesser convenience, micro-stutter, perfomance underwhelming with 15-20% extra minimum fps and 50% extra maximum or average fps.

Oh well, 1 980 Ti Gaming 6G is allready just so fast even at 1440p 144Hz. I think I'l save myself the issues, and replace this card next year with a cheaper Pascal alternative. Who knows Windows 10 and DX12 could make multi-gpu usage more positive experience.

That's a shame two of them are really magnificent beasts. I've been running 3 way SLi permanently since 2009 and the issues I had can be counted on one hand. The SLi issues I have had have never been severe or anything like that. I couldn't imagine going single card in my main gaming rig :)

Soldato

So far my experience of the 980ti in SLI has been very good overall,

No real issues, micro-stutter & have had fantastic performance @4k.

Associate
So who actually owns a Amp Extreme? I'd like to hear some impressions from people here as opposed to just reviews. Also, some pics would be nice :)

I'm loving mine :D I'm not one for benching as I just don't see the point, I'm more interested in the performance I get when playing games so would rather spend my time testing and optimising for that.

I've added an image of the card, its a decent looking piece of hardware IMO, I've also added a screenshots of my temps, gpu, and cpu usage while racing through the city in GTA5. I'm only running at 1080p for now but everything is maxed except for grass quality (high) and I'm at 4 x MSAA with Vsync on, the game runs perfectly smooth no matter what i'm doing. Project Cars and the Witcher 3 are also similar, runs beautifully with just about everything maxed.

cAGGgmh.jpg

Associate
That's a shame two of them are really magnificent beasts. I've been running 3 way SLi permanently since 2009 and the issues I had can be counted on one hand. The SLi issues I have had have never been severe or anything like that. I couldn't imagine going single card in my main gaming rig :)

I have a Palit 980TI, I've no intention of going SLI any time soon but would adding a 2nd further down the line be advisable if I am only running on air?

Associate
I have a Palit 980TI, I've no intention of going SLI any time soon but would adding a 2nd further down the line be advisable if I am only running on air?

As long as you have 1.5cm spacing between the cards when using a cooler that is different than the reference radial blower style cooler, then you won't have any issues.
I'm running 3 of them reference together "sandwiched" and they run and overclock like bats outta hell :cool:

Associate
I'm loving mine :D I'm not one for benching as I just don't see the point, I'm more interested in the performance I get when playing games so would rather spend my time testing and optimising for that.

I've added an image of the card, its a decent looking piece of hardware IMO, I've also added a screenshots of my temps, gpu, and cpu usage while racing through the city in GTA5. I'm only running at 1080p for now but everything is maxed except for grass quality (high) and I'm at 4 x MSAA with Vsync on, the game runs perfectly smooth no matter what i'm doing. Project Cars and the Witcher 3 are also similar, runs beautifully with just about everything maxed.

cAGGgmh.jpg

Nice, sounds fantastic. I too have an i5 4690k and was thinking it might bottle neck me sometimes. How would you describe the colour in real life? I have a mostly black and red theme but as long as it's darkish it should look fine.

Associate
Nice, sounds fantastic. I too have an i5 4690k and was thinking it might bottle neck me sometimes. How would you describe the colour in real life? I have a mostly black and red theme but as long as it's darkish it should look fine.

I'd have to say its not that dark at all, if you've got a dark case inside you might find it stands out a bit. Personally I could put up with it and i may well have to once i get round to ordering a Corsair 750D

Last edited:
Associate
That sounds reassuring, but still. We will put 28nm to rest in favour of 14 nm, thats quite a big leap to take. I could always sell my current 980 Ti down the road and go for 2x GTX 1070 in SLI, wich by then not only could multi-gpu setups be even more reliable, we will get quite some graphically demanding games by 2016 and windows 10.

Damn, how did I get myself into this. Now I will be forever addicted to buying the latest graphics cards... lol! :D

Associate
Since I'm new to PC gaming i've spent the last week or so tinkering with different games and settings as well as playing with Nvidias DSR settings to see what sort of a difference it makes, i was amazed at what a difference running the game at 4K resolutions makes, even with the monitor down sampling to its native 1920 x 1080.
Seeing this difference has made me even more interested in buying a 4K monitor, however i have some concerns. I know GTA5 is demanding but with the same settings i used for 1920 x 1080 i was getting between 25 and 30fps, obviously this isn't good enough so i'm thinking that maybe a second 980TI is necessary.

What are everyones thoughts on using a single 980TI for 4K gaming? can i expect to be able to turn of MSAA once running natively in 4K to get that extra performance or would a second 980TI be necessary?

I'm also wondering if i can use slots 1 and 3 on my motherboard (Asus Z97 Pro Gamer) for SLI rather than 1 and 2 as there's simply no room to use slot 2 with the Zotac amp extreme card

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom