• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Soldato
What are everyones thoughts on using a single 980TI for 4K gaming? can i expect to be able to turn of MSAA once running natively in 4K to get that extra performance or would a second 980TI be necessary?

If you are not one of the 120/144mhz brigade its a super experience. You can turn off AA get a speed boost and not notice much difference but I always find whatever the lowest level of AA is I can use that without any degradation and in some games you can push it higher. I find AO gives just as big a hit on speed and often turn this off without noticing much difference. Depends on the game really. Something like Elite I can play with Ultra settings, everything high/ultra including AA but it doesnt tax the GPU as much as other games.

Soldato
1 980ti can play most older games @ 60fps+ easily, newer or far more demanding games on the other hand, Witcher 3, Crysis 3 & GTA 5 hugely benefit from 980ti in SLI.

Personally, I like my settings at max (without AA as it's not needed for 4k) - two cards achieves this very well & should continue to for some time. A single card at 4k however may have some serious problems further down the line when games get more demanding.

Saying that, there is always the prospect of grabbing another once they get cheaper, but if you want to play AAA games now @ 4k then grabbing another 980ti is a wise move.

Associate
1 980ti can play most older games @ 60fps+ easily, newer or far more demanding games on the other hand, Witcher 3, Crysis 3 & GTA 5 hugely benefit from 980ti in SLI.

Personally, I like my settings at max (without AA as it's not needed for 4k) - two cards achieves this very well & should continue to for some time. A single card at 4k however may have some serious problems further down the line when games get more demanding.

Saying that, there is always the prospect of grabbing another once they get cheaper, but if you want to play AAA games now @ 4k then grabbing another 980ti is a wise move.

In that case I better get the credit card out lol. I'm thinking a 28" 4k monitor should do the trick along with another amp extreme and a corsair 750D case.

Soldato
my bad sorry, I thought the fan noise annoyed you. If it has coil whine and is bad then return it.

You're right.

I gave it a couple of days and the card was awesome as far as performance goes but that coil whine would have done my head in.

Bailey has agreed to meet me half way with the postage by writing of the AK code, so it's with Royal Mail as we speak.

Looking like a MSI 6G will be in the cart shortly...

EDIT: AMP Extreme owners... What's your thoughts on the card? Any coil whine? How does it OC and what temps/fan noise do you experience?

It's a toss up between the two, with the AMP having higher clocks out the box and a 5 year warranty it's very tempting.

Last edited:
Soldato
In that case I better get the credit card out lol. I'm thinking a 28" 4k monitor should do the trick along with another amp extreme and a corsair 750D case.
If you are going for two after-market cards try to get ones which can run quiet at a high fan speed.

One will be spewing heat onto the other so try to make sure your comfortable with the noise, a case with a side panel can help loads with an SLI setup also - set as an exhaust if they are aftermarket (to get the hot air out) & intake if they are reference.

A case with nice large intake fans on the front with a good amount of space at the top for exhaust is also a plus, I'm using the Thermaltake - Core V71 with a manually added side fan & it's really nice for temps.

Associate
If you are going for two after-market cards try to get ones which can run quiet at a high fan speed.

One will be spewing heat onto the other so try to make sure your comfortable with the noise, a case with a side panel can help loads with an SLI setup also - set as an exhaust if they are aftermarket (to get the hot air out) & intake if they are reference.

A case with nice large intake fans on the front with a good amount of space at the top for exhaust is also a plus, I'm using the Thermaltake - Core V71 with a manually added side fan & it's really nice for temps.

My coolermaster haf would be perfect for that but the second card is too thick to fit, it might if I move the psu to the top of the case however. I'll do some searching over the weekend and see what cases are going to work best.

Associate

I got 2 MSI Gamings today and that is how I have my cooling setup:)

Associate
Aint had a chance to play yet mate, ran sleeping dogs benchmark to give em a test. temps got to 79C and 71C at 4k normal AA, 175fps, so with vsync will be a lot lower:)

Will test normal gaming temps tomorrow. Both boosted over 1300:)

I was there for this test and can add that the fan on gpu1 went to 57% and on gpu2 40% and you could`nt hear either

Soldato
Personally I like to keep my GPU's below 73/63c when possible - the volts get reduced with heat making overclocks fluctuate.

I've always found when I can get it 100% stable within power (109% peak) & volts I get less crashes.

Soldato
A few moments later..

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Associate
vrJD9Pj.jpg
Just got my evga 980ti very quiet so far, is it ok that the temps are always 65-50 degrees at idle load? cause the fans don't spin or is it worth it to set a custom fan profile to keep it lower such as 30-45 degrees but fans spinning?

Caporegime
vrJD9Pj.jpg
Just got my evga 980ti very quiet so far, is it ok that the temps are always 65-50 degrees at idle load? cause the fans don't spin or is it worth it to set a custom fan profile to keep it lower such as 30-45 degrees but fans spinning?

My msi idled at 28c with 0 fan. But I use a custom fan profile now. Idles at 25c and no noise increase as the fan only runs at 900 rpm. Profile keeps gaming temps around 64c.

Soldato
My msi idled at 28c with 0 fan. But I use a custom fan profile now. Idles at 25c and no noise increase as the fan only runs at 900 rpm. Profile keeps gaming temps around 64c.

My MSI IDLES at 50C with 0 fan thing. How is yours that cold with no fan?

Mine with twin frozr,

Load 75C - 85C (Heavy OC)

Under water (AIO) it idles at 28C - 30C

Load is 50C - 60C (Heavy OC)

Caporegime
Asking again, anyone with the gigabyte g1 notice any sagging with the card? Seen an sli setup with no sag then seen posts online with people saying it does have a sag to it. Just wanted to see the concensus on here.

KLM

KLM

Associate
quick question

I have just purchased a msi 980ti 6g, which I hope to collect from ocuk shop tomorrow

will my corsair tx650 psu be enough for this card ?

thanks

Back
Top Bottom