• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

KLM

KLM

Associate
collected from ocuk shop this morning

p9XyNXkOj

Soldato
Any gpu can suffer from it.

True, but some are more prone than others.

Reminds me of the panel lottery when you buy a monitor - you may well end up with one that has bad back-light bleed and/or stuck pixels, or even a lower quality panel than the ones in the review models.

I've been offered a replacement G1 or a refund. It's slightly tempting to go for a direct swap, which would be less hassle. Surely they all can't have whine as bad as I got?

In all other respects the card is excellent - runs very cool and quiet for me.

Soldato
MSI Gaming 980Ti installed... of course there was a kerfuffle or two :).

Needed to change power cables on the PSU and it was uber fiddly with other cables in the way and not enough room to reach in. Unscrewed the PSU and pulled it back a bit to make more room, then the damn PSU wouldn't screw back in place.

Windows stated taking ages to start fully, for some reason Nvidia Streamer Service was slowing everything down. Even though I had done a clean install of the Nvidia drivers.

And now Witcher 3 has disappeared from GeForce Experience, says it can't find the settings any more. I wanted to do a comparison of what it recommended for the 980Ti vs my old 970 SLI. From what I saw before it disappeared there were a lot higher settings recommended for 980Ti.

Caporegime
Was tempted by the g1 gaming card but as usual the reviews on acoustics differ greatly. You have one place saying barely audible, another saying slightly less fan noise than a reference 980ti, and another saying its noticeable under load but not intrusive.

So which is it? Also seems to be a lot of coil whine issues with the cards.

Caporegime
Was tempted by the g1 gaming card but as usual the reviews on acoustics differ greatly. You have one place saying barely audible, another saying slightly less fan noise than a reference 980ti, and another saying its noticeable under load but not intrusive.

Id go for the msi. The lack of noise from it is astonishing. Its only around 80% that I start to notice it. Even at 100% its quieter than my old windforce 780's at 60%.

Associate
Anyone have any idea or speculation on when I can get a Strix 980ti from OCUK. I don't want to place a pre-order in case their first batch goes straight out to people with pre-orders and then I have to wait for another batch to come in. I don't know how this stuff works.

Soldato

This is how it always pans out has noise is subjective. I just go by the look of a cooler and make an educated guess on how loud it would/could be. I always setup custom fan profiles to fine tune anyhow.

Caporegime
Id go for the msi. The lack of noise from it is astonishing. Its only around 80% that I start to notice it. Even at 100% its quieter than my old windforce 780's at 60%.

This is how it always pans out has noise is subjective. I just go by the look of a cooler and make an educated guess on how loud it will be. I always setup custom fan profiles to fine tune anyhow.

Was looking at the msi card, seems they trade off a few c in thermals for quieter fans, you'd think the gigabyte card would have an advantage in that respect with 3 fans. mm decisions =/

Soldato
Was looking at the msi card, seems they trade off a few c in thermals for quieter fans, you'd think the gigabyte card would have an advantage in that respect with 3 fans. mm decisions =/

I've had the Windforce type coolers on many a Gigabyte card and they're not intrusive nor the quietest. What i don't like about them is some of them feel like they're built on the cheap.

Caporegime
On stock fan profile, the msi does run a bit hotter. But due to how good the cooler is you can use a more aggressive fan profile without having to worry about extra noise. I use the same 1-1 curve that I had for the 780's. Max temp in bf4 of 64c. The msi's larger fans seem to make a nice difference over the 3 smaller ones on the gigabyte cards.

Caporegime
On stock fan profile, the msi does run a bit hotter. But due to how good the cooler is you can use a more aggressive fan profile without having to worry about extra noise. I use the same 1-1 curve that I had for the 780's. Max temp in bf4 of 64c. The msi's larger fans seem to make a nice difference over the 3 smaller ones on the gigabyte cards.

I actually liked the look of the asus strix but predictably the pricing is farcical. And before it came out it was only meant to be costing $30-$40 more than a reference 980ti. But somehow that gets gouged to over £650 for what was meant to cost around £540 or so. :eek:

Caporegime
Strix does look nice, but Asus are always a bit mad with the pricing. Then factor in their awful support. I do like their motherboards, but god forbid if anything goes wrong. The msi is very well priced this week. I bought mine at release for £575.99. Subsequently it went up to £600.00.

Caporegime
Have to think about it for a while, i did see that one video review compared the noise of the reference and the g1 and it was really night an day. Then again, open test bench isn't really indicative of case airflow.

7:17 for comparison.

Caporegime
Seen that vid too. Someone posted a chart up here in the fury x owners thread regarding noise. The msi gaming was actually rated lower in noise than the fury x despite the latter using an aio solution.

Caporegime
The msi seems to have a bracket along the pcb which is a plus point, should keep it very rigid. Backplates alone only do a minimal job in keeping cards rigid as they're typically just a thin piece of aluminium. Nice to see msi doing it right.

Back
Top Bottom