• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Associate
Associate
Hello guys. Msi Gaming 290x owner here.
Not a long ago I realize that my card is overheating and trottling in stock.
It's constantly hitting 95º C. Even in old games, in which I had like 75-80º before.

Radiators are clean, running games with open case doesn't help either.

Did anyone experienced such problems with 290x Gaming? Maybe that's bad thermal grease or something? Except of that card is doing absolutely fine.

Should I try to replace thermal grease, or contact internet store for RMA?

Last edited:
Associate
Hello guys,

I recently joined the ranks of R290 owners by picking up an R290x vapor-x, which I couldn't wait to get setup. However, I'm experiencing an issue which I could use some help on.

The card appears to work fine and doesn't have any issues until a game is actually running. It's tricky to explain but there is an additional mechanical noise coming from my PC when running a game (Witcher 3, BF4 and WoW) but this stops if you either enter an in game menu or shut the game down. I can manually override the fans outside of these games and even at 100% the noise is not re-created. I don't know if this would strictly be classed as coil whine but I don't think it should be present. Also, the pitch of the noise appears to change dependant on how much on screen activity is taking place. For instance, in The Witcher, if I move around and look at different locations the noise can change subtly.

My current setup is below:
Phenom II 1090T @ stock
R290x vapor-x @ stock
Hyper-X 6GB DDR3 RAM
Antec TruPower 750W
Asus M4A785TD-V EVO

I don't think there should be any issues with my setup but any input or advice you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks All

Associate
Make sure the cables are connected ok to the GPU, double check to see if they are in tight as a loose cable can cause the noise ? Also might be worth having a look at the PSU as well , how old is the PSU ?

Associate
Hi all,

Just looking for some guidance on an overheating issue with 2 Sapphire R290s in a NZXT H440. Sorry- this is going to start a bit long winded but it’s a case of one issue had lead to another and so on…

I've got a NZXT H440 case- I’ve seen a lot of posts since they have been out and I know the case was primarily aimed at watercooling and not air cooling, but until I’ve recently gone Crossfire my temps have never been an issue.

This is my rig spec:
NZXT H440
i7-4790K 4.00GHz (Devil's Canyon)
Corsair Hydro H110 CPU Cooler
Gigabyte Z97X-SOC Force Intel Z97
TeamGroup Vulcan ORANGE 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 2400MHz
Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Vapor-X 4096MB
Samsung 500GB SSD
OCZ 240 SSD
2TB Hybrid HDD
SuperFlower Leadex Platinum 1200W
Windows 10 64-Bit

Purchased from Overclockers August 2014 and never had any issues with heat. I've got the stock fans installed still in the H440; 3 at the front intake, 1 rear exhaust, and i've got the H110 rad at the top of the case.

I've not overclocked the GPU or CPU as it has been able to run every game I have thrown at it at highest settings and the temps have been around 40-60c. The Sapphire card has got the green/yellow/orange/red glow to indicate its heat and in the year I’ve had it, its never gone into red and the fans have always stayed quite.

Most recently I have been playing GTA5 and it has got that great indicator in the graphics settings to let you know how much of the graphics card ram it is using. I've got all settings at high and a few at highest and MMSA turned off which kept the ram indicator in the green and the heat in check. Everything running smooth and quite!

So I figured heat wasn't ever going to be an issue in my rig and recently after seeing all the new games coming over the next year I thought I'd pick up a second Sapphire R290 with the future plan to get a 4K screen.

So I bought a second Sapphire R290 Vapor-X 4096MB, same as I already have.

The depth of these cards are BIG - they take up 2.5 PCI slots. So I've got my original one in the top slot, and the second one in bottom PCI slot (this was the only choice) and it sits about an SSD depth above the SSDs that are mounted above the PSU housing.

Turned the PC on no problems- AMD Catalyst recognised the card and turned on crossfire. Loaded up GTA, increased a couple of the settings to highest and still left MMSA off. The ram indictor stated around 6000 of the 8000~ MB was being used and it was in the green bar for usage load.

Stared playing the game and what a difference the second card made- great I thought!
...then about 10 minutes later I started feeling the heat against my legs- I first thought the missus had turned the heating on! Paused the game (sound was quite high) and then I heard all the fans at full whack- spotted under the desk that both the cards were glowing deep red! Quickly quit the game, turned off the PC and opened the case up to let the heat disburse.

Once it cooled, I went back and after some trial and error in GTA, I lowered the settings back to what I had them on with a single card, and also turned off Vsync. Also made sure all settings in Catalyst were at default and dictated by application.
This managed to keep the temps down and the cards glowing at yellow/orange.
However, after a few hours of playing again I started hearing an electrical tick/buzz noise- alt-tab game to desktop, case open again, trial and error with each fan and then traced the noise to be coming from the PSU. Was a bit miffed by this as I would have thought that the 1000w PSU would have been more than enough for my spec?

So my questions are have I shot myself in the foot by trying to go crossfire in this H440 case with the size of these cards and possibly damaged the PSU and (regardless of the PSU issue) have I compromised the cooling of the case with the second card, is it just too much for aircooling in a case that is known to get hot?

What are my options? These are what I have been considering…
1- cut my losses and go back to 1 card or sell both and put towards a single 8192mb card?
2- Upgrade the stock fans – looking at the newer NZXT fans that produce more CFM than the stock with the NXZT Grid+ to mange the speeds.
- and off the back of this should I change the positions of the fans by moving the Hydro rad to the front and the 3 fans to the top to either pull in air over the cards or to draw the heat out.
3- Watercool the cards – looking at the Overclockers purpose built AOI GPU cooling options but I would be limited to a double and a single rad, not 2 doubles.
4- Any other suggestions?...

Thanks in advance and sorry for the essay!

Mike

Permabanned
The psu should easily be good enough so you shouldn't of damaged it but that doesn't mean there isn't a fault you hadn't come across until now. Try running the new card on it's own to determine that it is okay, If it is have you got access to another psu to test it all with? That'd be handy.

Associate
Thanks for the swift response, Lustral.

Checked all the connections and they seem fine. Took the card out, reseated it and swapped over the 8-pin connectors but the issue persists. Also tried my 5770 vapor-x (which the 290x is replacing) and that worked fine.

Wouldn't necessarily surprise me if it was the PSU, although it's about 3 years old and I don't have things running 24x7 so I'd hope it still had some legs :) Only other PSU that I have knocking around is a 400W Corsair so I can't swap that one in.

Associate
Got a colleague or a friend that has a half decent rig to test the Graphics Card on ? Only other option is to bite the bullet and get a decent PSU that is at least 750W , something like a Corsair RM750 and see how you get on.

Associate
Can add me to the list. MSI 290X 4G LE

Having some issues with it though it's throttling the core while playing games, read through a massive thread about about powerplay but that was last updated like a year ago and seemed driver related... the last drivers been mentioned were like 14.x.

I haven't got an overclock at all and it's really frustrating as it leads to FPS dips while gaming.

If I force an overclock through MSI Afterburner it will sit locked and temps only hit like 85C, but then it doesn't go into a 2D mode and the clocks will be at whatever I've set... which leads to higher idle temps.

Anyone still having issues like this?

Anyway, here's my photo!

YE1VR5ch.jpg

Bonus photo of it next to the 7850 it replaced.
aT33NZGl.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Can add me to the list. MSI 290X 4G LE

Having some issues with it though it's throttling the core while playing games, read through a massive thread about about powerplay but that was last updated like a year ago and seemed driver related... the last drivers been mentioned were like 14.x.

I haven't got an overclock at all and it's really frustrating as it leads to FPS dips while gaming.

If I force an overclock through MSI Afterburner it will sit locked and temps only hit like 85C, but then it doesn't go into a 2D mode and the clocks will be at whatever I've set... which leads to higher idle temps.

Anyone still having issues like this?

Anyway, here's my photo!

YE1VR5ch.jpg

Bonus photo of it next to the 7850 it replaced.
aT33NZGl.jpg

And on TROH.:)

Associate
I have got a 290X Matrix Plat waiting for me at home as a RMA for a Pony 290 PCS+

I never again want a graphics card that blackscreens only when idle!

As an edit if I suffer similar problems again I may blacklist AMD, this problem is rife.

Associate
Well, after moaning about the clocks not sorting themselves out I don't know what I've done but they appear to be working as expected now.

They get to 1010Mhz and stay there in 3D mode and back down to 300Mhz when not. Now getting the experience I expected from this card!

Back
Top Bottom