*** Phanteks EVOLV Owners Thread ***

Associate
What are everyone's experiences with wc rads. Is a 360 + 240 the max you can get away with without being stupidly tight?

You could use 420 / 280.

Top depends on the height of your memory, I'm limited to 360 in the roof as my memory has a high profile, going to try a 280 in the front with a 360 in roof might get a little lower temps, probably about 2/3 Degrees :)

Associate
Here is my case/build so far.....still waiting on my 2 x EVGA 980 TI Hydro Coppers and a load of my watercooling stuff, such as my top 240 Rad, all my fittings and white coolant from OCUK to be delivered! (XSPC Rads seem to have a long old leadtime!)

Full Spec will be - Phanteks Evolve ATX - Intel 5930k - 16GB Dominator Platinum RAM - 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD (games) - 512GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD (o/s) - 4TB SATA HDD (film/pictures) - 2 x EVGA 980ti Hydrocopper SLI all under water. (my first watercooling build)

2jy16p.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I just ordered the Evolv ATX. I've had a Silverstone Fortress FT01 for many years and last week changed it out for a Corsair 330R, I'm really disappointed with it, feels very cheap compared to my old Fortress. So after looking at many different cases I settled on the Evolv, hoping it lives up to my expectations.

C64

C64

Soldato
I have noticed something interesting the cheapo Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Midi appears to have the exact same chassis and insides as the 3x the price atx version of the evolv atx version ? why is it £140 if it's using the exact same cheapo £59-99 chassis ?

Last edited:
Caporegime
I have noticed something interesting the cheapo Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Midi appears to have the exact same chassis and insides as the 3x the price atx version of the evolv atx version ? why is it £140 if it's using the exact same cheapo £59-99 chassis ?
Mentions the difference in this review of the Pro M.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/cases/leo-waldock/phanteks-enthoo-pro-m-chassis-review/

The best thing is to consider the Pro-M as the frame of the £140 Evolv ATX minus that expensive cladding. Instead you get a plastic front panel and fairly basic steel side panels that are reminiscent of the Enthoo Pro. Removing the aluminium would obviously save on the bill of materials but Phanteks wanted to go further so they have pretty much removed the accessories. You get a single 140mm fan at the rear of the case and the bare minimum of drive bays which raises the obvious question of whether Phanteks has made sensible cuts or gone bonkers to get the price as low as possible.

C64

C64

Soldato
Interesting to see if this budget case performs better than the evolv atx cooling wise what with having a more open front and top.
They should do the same thing with the Phanteks EVOLV ATX and offer the hdd brackets and fans as optional extras to get the cost down from £140.

Last edited:
Soldato
Interesting to see if this budget case performs better than the evolv atx cooling wise what with having a more open front and top.
They should do the same thing with the Phanteks EVOLV ATX and offer the hdd brackets and fans as optional extras to get the cost down from £140.

Probably wouldn't make that much of a difference by the time it got to the end user, fans are probably pretty cheap to make but like anything on the PC market they have a high markup once they hit retail. If you look at what phanteks fans are priced at individually, £10-15 each probably, then look at the cost allocation for the case and it's extras, I'd be surprised if it was More than a few quid per fan, always been this way with enthusiast stuff. In fact going back a few years lots of PC "modding" equipment, thumb screws, sound deadening, silicone washers etc was exactly the stuff you could by elsewhere, the only difference being the price was often hundreds if not thousand of times higher.

Graphics cards are a good example, price up the leads and stuff they come with, they cost pennies to make but by the time they get to market you can pay crazy amounts compared to manufacture costs. I'm currently pricing up braided cable supplies as I'm wanting to make my own for this case and I have found everything disgustingly cheep with the exception of the actual male and female plastic sockets but I know the chinese sites they are probably on :D

Associate
Overall I really like this case but I in my opinion a few things could be improved;

1) I didn't like the white PCI covers. I swapped them out for black ones.
2) The plate that sits above the HDD cage had to be cut in half to accommodate the res and rad as shown in the pictures. This could have been designed as a split plate.
3) The PSU cut out looks ace but is covered when the side window is closed.
4) The most annoying bit....the HDD mount located at the bottom of the case should be included with the case! I had to buy the optional accessory. If you mount a 360 rad in the front you can't mount a HDD anywhere without this additional mount. For a case designed for water cooling in mind this should have been included.

Other than the above minor points, this is an excellent case and a joy to work with.

Here are some pictures of the build;

yCtEgG1l.jpg

vIqBiSil.jpg

t9IdK7bl.jpg

v9SyyzQl.jpg

GPHLDwpl.jpg

NmEyI3xl.jpg

bJp88sll.jpg

KlgBm6bl.jpg

q0sfgYTl.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Overall I really like this case but I in my opinion a few things could be improved;

1) I didn't like the white PCI covers. I swapped them out for black ones.
2) The plate that sits above the HDD cage had to be cut in half to accommodate the res and rad as shown in the pictures. This could have been designed as a split plate.
3) The PSU cut out looks ace but is covered when the side window is closed.
4) The most annoying bit....the HDD mount located at the bottom of the case should be included with the case! I had to buy the optional accessory. If you mount a 360 rad in the front you can't mount a HDD anywhere without this additional mount. For a case designed for water cooling in mind this should have been included.

Other than the above minor points, this is an excellent case and a joy to work with.

Cracking build very tidy, best I've seen so far :)

Having the split Mid Plate option would only really work if it lined up with the rad size you were using.

White PCI covers are a bit odd, maybe they are to match the White Blade Fans, I took the fans out as they matched nothing I was using.

The case design does have a few bugs, so perhaps there will be a Revision 2.

Back
Top Bottom