• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Soldato
The +100 core hits 1467 on boost. I've also noticed that the card is more stable when running the heaven benchmark in full screen opposed to window mode. Not sure if this affects anything?

I'm not sure what you mean about the power limit flag? I have set the power limit to its maximum in MSI afterburner; I monitor the percentage in the hardware monitor.. thoughts?

Your looking at "GPU Power %", you need to look at "GPU Power Limit" which will be 0 when it's not being limited and 1 when it is, or "GPU Voltage Limit" again will be 0 or 1

RS1

RS1

Associate
Your looking at "GPU Power %", you need to look at "GPU Power Limit" which will be 0 when it's not being limited and 1 when it is, or "GPU Voltage Limit" again will be 0 or 1

Ahh makes sense. I suspected that these might be the flags that you were talking about and so did have a look following your previous post.. these don't seem to be the issue (set at 0). The very best that I've been able to get is 1497 boost at +0.037v and 130% power limit. What is the average overclock for a G1 980 Ti? I feel like I've lost the silicone lottery :eek:

EDIT: I just tried benching in furmark; I hit the power limit and voltage limit flags almost immediately, throttling the card to a much slower speed (1497-->1380). This doesn't occur in MSI Kombuster nor the Heaven benchmark. Is this normal?

Which benchmarking methods would you suggest to confirm a GPU overclock? I'm starting to lose confidence in the tools that I'm using..

Last edited:
Associate
Don't touch Furmark, Uninstall it and forget about it.
Do some runs with Heaven and a few hours with The Witcher 3 (which seems to be the new standard for a solid overclock).

P.S. 1490 is already 200+ Mhz over what's advertised, 400 over the reference. It's crazy to be disappointed, just for the few people that reach above 1500.

Last edited:
Associate
Try using less voltage - my cards hit the power limit without using any mv so you might find you can actually OC a bit higher without it

Great advice! I have spent a few hours tonight fine tuning the overclock on the card!

No power boost or extra Volts required for my overclock!
Core 1428MHz (boost 1493MHz pretty much all the time, very occasionally drops to 1463MHz) VRAM 1905MHz (+200) 7620MHz effective!
Levels out at 53oC fans at 75% still very quiet, compared to my old 280X's at the same speed anyway! :p
ASIC quality is 69.7% for those interested, max voltage on core 1.155V.
Very happy with this card!
Considering getting a Corsair H75 and NZXT Kraken G10, as you can remove the fan assembly, keeping the back plate and the VRM heat sink on the Amp Extreme, Zotac are also OK with this.
Question is, worth spending the money?

Associate
Just got my MSI 980ti today:

20150826_115912.jpg

It's actually a little shorter than the card it replaces - an Asus ROG Matrix 780ti. Looking forward to giving the new card a good workout...

Associate
which graphics to purchase

I am currently in the process of building a pc with a corsair carbide 540 case
now i was initially going to purchase a GALAX GeForce GTX 980TI HOF card
but since reading this 980TI owners thread i have discovered the
EVGA GeForce GTX 980Ti Hybrid Card
and i was just after some opinions of owners of both these cards
which would be a better purchase?
i am not an avid overclocker but also i want my pc to be fairly quiet as it sits
in my living room,
any advise on the cards performances which is better at stock?
and which is better overall purchase
thankyou!.

Back
Top Bottom