• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Soldato
Is boomstick the new asia2fab? What's with all the 980tis you've been going through lately? I told you go with a hybrid or ref/kraken g10 last time :p

Ha, my original plan was to use console for gaming, as wasn't really using PC for that much, plus size of my case / desktop didn't really go with my other stuff. Just wanted rid of it all. After I sold my PC quickly realized that a mini PC was no substitute lol. So put together a smaller Mirco ATX build.

Thought about 970 but memory issue put me off, at the time the REF ASUS 980 Ti was an ok price and I thought it's worth it just for Witcher 3 (Game I do play on PC) so I picked up that lol. Then OCUK put a great offer on this Hybrid which is what I really wanted, plus free game so thought would give it a try, glad I did this card is really nice.

The card looks beastly, Boom - I'd like to go watercooled with my GPU but I am wondering whether it'd just be better to go full custom loop at this point.

Isn't Pascal due out next year? How are you going to go 12 months without changing GPU?

Lol, no changes for a while now. Honestly there are others here who change a lot as well they just seem to go under the radar. My own fault for posting I guess :p:D

I'll be keeping this until the die shrink cards appear. If I do buy something else you can all refer to this post for shaming :D

If you already have a GPU that your happy with, and comfortable with fitting custom water loop. That's the better option probably.

I don't wanna mess with a full water cooled setup, so pre fitted AIO is ideal for me. All these 980 Ti's seem to top about between 1500Mhz / 1550Mhz anyway. At stock this AIO keeps card at 1400Mhz / 52C. Can't complain at that at all. And at current price it's not far off the REF cards lol. My other card has gone so not lost anything doing this, just got a nicer card :)

Last edited:
Associate
Lol, no changes for a while now. Honestly there are others here who change a lot as well they just seem to go under the radar. My own fault for posting I guess :p:D

I'll be keeping this until the die shrink cards appear. If I do buy something else you can all refer to this post for shaming :D

If you already have a GPU that your happy with, and comfortable with fitting custom water loop. That's the better option probably.

I don't wanna mess with a full water cooled setup, so pre fitted AIO is ideal for me. All these 980 Ti's seem to top about between 1500Mhz / 1550Mhz anyway. At stock this AIO keeps card at 1400Mhz / 52C. Can't complain at that at all. And at current price it's not far off the REF cards lol. My other card has gone so not lost anything doing this, just got a nicer card :)

Fair enough, I just like teasing :p

I am very happy with my GPU but I have never watercooled... I'm debating whether I'd rather spend £300 on WC or just go full air and use that £300 towards 980Ti SLI... Or adding a Kraken G10 or similar to my 980Ti.

If I had access to MM I would probably be tempted by swapping out cards every other day, so any teasing is in good faith. :D

Associate
I think I'll try to RMA my HoF.
The fans ramp up during idle, which is very annoying. Same thing happens during load, where they can't keep a steady speed.

(Mind you: I don't think the RMA will be accepted, but I'm very disappointed with Galax/KFA2, such an dumb thing for 580£.
Wouldn't even know what to get, the HoF was the best in my opinion until I noticed the fan problem.)

Last edited:
Soldato
The fans ramp up during idle, which is very annoying. Same thing happens during load, where they can't keep a steady speed.

(Mind you: I don't think the RMA will be accepted, but I'm very disappointed with Galax/KFA2, such an dumb thing for 580£.
Wouldn't even know what to get, the HoF was the best in my opinion until I noticed the fan problem.)

Cant you set a custom fan profile?
Have you tried running with the side panel off just to rule out airflow problems?

Associate

I sentt mine back for the same reason. Mine was much worse though, it would drop 800rpm every 2-8 seconds and build back up. It would also hit what ever max temp was set within a few minutes (ambient temp 21c with side panel off and a 16 inch house fan blowing in). At which point it would only boost to a,max of 1215mhz with intermittent 50%Gpu load. My old gtx 770 performed better in game! I was unlucky with a bad card, but from reading around the forums the intermittent fan (default or custom curve) is quite common. Setting a flat 80% curve will still result in it jumping around.

My replacement was a zotac amp extreme which also does the same thing but to a much lesser degree. I only know that though from looking at graphs, you can't hear it as the fans stay so low. It never goes above 58c (with side panel on) with a max fan speed of 63%, is bench stable at 1580/2050 and witcher 3 stable at 1550/2000 with no added voltage. I'd recommend this card if you do RMA.

Soldato
Hi, i have a Gigabyte 980TI G1 Gaming Asic 79.8%

im using OC Guru II to Overclock , thought id try it over Afterburner , as i can also control leds on card , really dont want both running

i just added 120mhz to gpu and 800mhz to memory and power to 120%, no added voltage

it runs fine probably go higher but this is more then enough for me

it boosts to 1515mhz which seems great,

Associate
I can push my G1 Gaming to +990 on the memory (Well it's +496 in Afterburner it's half) and +168 on the core and it's stable-ish when benchmarking. I drop it down to +128 core when gaming though.. Much more stability.

Sounds like you have a pretty good card :)

If you are going full out benching I'd advise you to post here - http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18689662 - You have a high ASIC so it'll be interesting to see.

Soldato
This thing just at stock is such a monster, look at that pixel rate. I think this is with Fiji is behind, can't catch up to those 96 ROPS (Maybe in DX12?) Bandwidth on this one is nice to..

UqP8WRJ.png

If Pascal really does have double the transistors, HBM 2.0, more CUDA Cores etc, it's going to be scary. Will we even need that kind of performance if not at 4K?

Soldato
If we compare to a GPU from 5 years ago, progress is real. '5 times the amount of CUDA Cores', '5 times the Texture Rate', '3.5 times the Pixel Rate'. 'Twice the Memory Bandwidth', '4 Times the Memory capacity'. Way more performance, similar / less power consumption. We've only had one die shrink in those 5 years as well. Next year should be awesome.

09DuYwa.png
UqP8WRJ.png

Last edited:
Associate
You are the guy with the white build too aren't you? :/
Yeah, I think I overreacted. I am disappointed by I don't think I can be bothered to RMA another card.
Cant you set a custom fan profile?
Have you tried running with the side panel off just to rule out airflow problems?
I'm using a custom fan profile, I did try many things, even without Afterburner: it's the fan controller itself to have issues.
The temperatures are fine, I have a Luxe with extra fans, the card doesn't get hot.

I sentt mine back for the same reason. Mine was much worse though, it would drop 800rpm every 2-8 seconds and build back up. It would also hit what ever max temp was set within a few minutes (ambient temp 21c with side panel off and a 16 inch house fan blowing in). At which point it would only boost to a,max of 1215mhz with intermittent 50%Gpu load. My old gtx 770 performed better in game! I was unlucky with a bad card, but from reading around the forums the intermittent fan (default or custom curve) is quite common. Setting a flat 80% curve will still result in it jumping around.

My replacement was a zotac amp extreme which also does the same thing but to a much lesser degree. I only know that though from looking at graphs, you can't hear it as the fans stay so low. It never goes above 58c (with side panel on) with a max fan speed of 63%, is bench stable at 1580/2050 and witcher 3 stable at 1550/2000 with no added voltage. I'd recommend this card if you do RMA.

I had an Amp! Extreme before, I know it's a great card and the cooler is very efficient, but I do remember the same fan issue. Maybe they use the same controller.

I'll ask OCUK. A bit sad that some of the best air cooled cards (HoF, Amp!) skimped on such an important thing.

Question for Inno3D Hybrid users: Do you have to connect that Molex? Any pump noise? I think I'll get that card if they take the HoF back.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah, I think I overreacted. I am disappointed by I don't think I can be bothered to RMA another card.

I don't think you are overreacting at all. If you are purchasing a premium product you expect it to not have such issues.

Good luck getting it replaced, not a clue what with though. The HoF has a unique colour scheme.

Soldato
Question for Inno3D Hybrid users: Do you have to connect that Molex? Any pump noise? I think I'll get that card if they take the HoF back.

There's a single IDE power connector, I think it's for the LED or VRM fan not sure which..

20150907_110746.jpg

There is 0 coil whine, pump makes a gentle purr. Like digital purr if that makes sense. It's fine not annoying like the Fury X high pitch squeal which I can still hear sometimes :p

Associate
That cable makes it look a bit messy :p But quiet operation beats looks.
I'll let you know if OCUK accepts the lame fan controller as a reason to RMA.

EDIT: Looks like it's not enough. Oh well, learned the lesson, always wait for user experiences :p
Maybe I'll get the water block in a few months.

Last edited:
Soldato
That cable makes it look a bit messy :p But quiet operation beats looks.
I'll let you know if OCUK accepts the lame fan controller as a reason to RMA.

EDIT: Looks like it's not enough. Oh well, learned the lesson, always wait for user experiences :p
Maybe I'll get the water block in a few months.

That's straight out of the box. Obviously when you install the card you can hide the cables to your liking.

Shame you can't RMA, looks like water block is the way forward for you.

Soldato
I can push my G1 Gaming to +990 on the memory (Well it's +496 in Afterburner it's half) and +168 on the core and it's stable-ish when benchmarking. I drop it down to +128 core when gaming though.. Much more stability.

Sounds like you have a pretty good card :)

If you are going full out benching I'd advise you to post here - http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18689662 - You have a high ASIC so it'll be interesting to see.

Hi, i added to that thread and heaven 4.0 thread, i see yours lower down ? with high boost , sure it doesnt drop down while benchmarking ? GPUZ will only report highest value

did you add any voltage ?

as soon i go above 155mhz added it will just revert back down when bench marking,

i think i had enough playing around, actually will play games now, i will revert back to 1500mhz boost and 7800mhz memory, this is more then enough and with good temps and sound levels, fans goto around 58% which is nice , so good for everyday use

i have my PSU coming tomorrow, will find out if is sorts out the coil whine im getting from current PSU

Associate
Hi, i added to that thread and heaven 4.0 thread, i see yours lower down ? with high boost , sure it doesnt drop down while benchmarking ? GPUZ will only report highest value

Check Valley (2160p specifically), and Heaven too I guess (at 2160p) - I have a Core i5-3450 so I am pretty bottlenecked at 1080p with that. I'm the lowest 980Ti in Valley, and probably Heaven, but it's definitely a constant 1560MHz, don't worry.

As for voltage, +30mV makes 1560 stable and +87mV for a semi suicide run at 1570 :eek:

I tend to just run +128 as previously stated with +0mV.

Soldato
Check Valley (2160p specifically), and Heaven too I guess (at 2160p) - I have a Core i5-3450 so I am pretty bottlenecked at 1080p with that. I'm the lowest 980Ti in Valley, and probably Heaven, but it's definitely a constant 1560MHz, don't worry.

As for voltage, +30mV makes 1560 stable and +87mV for a semi suicide run at 1570 :eek:

I tend to just run +128 as previously stated with +0mV.

oh ya got ya, i didnt play with any voltage adding, so probably got more to give, but to be honest, think 1500 GPU / 8000MHZ MEM is the sweet spot , keeps fan lower and temps lower , :D

Associate
I've finally taken the plunge and replaced my trusty 780 Ti with an OcUK Tech Labs H2O Custom card with an acetal block and black backplate. I've got it running at 1500MHz core and 8002MHz ram with no noticeable coil wine, couldn't be happier :)

Could I be added to TROH please:

IMG_3925_zpsja6tbv2z.jpg

To prove it is now a 980 Ti:
20150908_182227_zps0ednsww2.jpg

Thanks,
Ed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom