AOC G2460PF

Associate
I ordered this monitor and I got a word from local vendor that when they get it in stock it will be the fixed version, but that might take a while, no schedule given...

Anyways if the overdrive is fixed would you owners recommend this monitor? I would be using it for gaming and movies, I heard the viewing angles are not good, but is that compared to typical TN panels or vs IPS?

Does any one have any word on the input lag? (not talking about response time gray to gray)

Anyways those are my few questions, thanks.

Associate
OP
I ordered this monitor and I got a word from local vendor that when they get it in stock it will be the fixed version, but that might take a while, no schedule given...

Anyways if the overdrive is fixed would you owners recommend this monitor? I would be using it for gaming and movies, I heard the viewing angles are not good, but is that compared to typical TN panels or vs IPS?

Does any one have any word on the input lag? (not talking about response time gray to gray)

Anyways those are my few questions, thanks.

I think the overdrive fix will definitely make up for the monitor's shortcomings by s decent margin.

I have actually decided to return mine as, for me, the issues run deeper than this.

The poor viewing angles are typical of TN panels - this isn't any better or worse.

For me (even with the .ICM profiles) the gamma and 'washed out' look of the screen bugs me too much as well as the lack of colour depth. These, however, can be corrected with the profile and in some scenarios, it looks OK but then you only have to get a game which doesn't play well with the colour profile and it looks horrible again.

This is more of a complaint about TN panels in general al- this is my third and last in recent times and, up there with a 27" screen size, adds to my list of 'never agains' :)

The final nail in the coffin (and this comes with the caveat that I am very sensitive to input lag - annoyingly so) is that the input lag feels a bit too high and puts my aim off slightly.

We aren't taking about a huge number here - I've used both the Asus MG279Q (about 4ms input lag at 144hz), a Dell P2414H (about 5ms input lag) and an Eizo Foris FG2421 (13-16ms of input lag depending on if you use Turbo240 or not) and this is about in the middle (if I had to guess I'd say it was 10ms of lag).

I guess the questions I'd ask myself are:

- Do you have a TN screen and are you ok having the same picture quality of one again?
- Are you very sensitive to input lag?

If the answer is 'yes' to the first question and 'no' to the second - then the monitor is a solid choice after the overdrive fix is applied.

Associate
I think the overdrive fix will definitely make up for the monitor's shortcomings by s decent margin.

I have actually decided to return mine as, for me, the issues run deeper than this.

The poor viewing angles are typical of TN panels - this isn't any better or worse.

For me (even with the .ICM profiles) the gamma and 'washed out' look of the screen bugs me too much as well as the lack of colour depth. These, however, can be corrected with the profile and in some scenarios, it looks OK but then you only have to get a game which doesn't play well with the colour profile and it looks horrible again.

This is more of a complaint about TN panels in general al- this is my third and last in recent times and, up there with a 27" screen size, adds to my list of 'never agains' :)

The final nail in the coffin (and this comes with the caveat that I am very sensitive to input lag - annoyingly so) is that the input lag feels a bit too high and puts my aim off slightly.

We aren't taking about a huge number here - I've used both the Asus MG279Q (about 4ms input lag at 144hz), a Dell P2414H (about 5ms input lag) and an Eizo Foris FG2421 (13-16ms of input lag depending on if you use Turbo240 or not) and this is about in the middle (if I had to guess I'd say it was 10ms of lag).

- Do you have a TN screen and are you ok having the same picture quality of one again?

If the answer is 'yes' to the first question and 'no' to the second - then the monitor is a solid choice after the overdrive fix is applied.

Why not to go with g2460PG then? All the reviews I saw praise it's colour and absolutely minimal lag. And it's 24 inch as well. I'm waiting for mine to be delivered soon and was thinking between PG and PF but being disappointed in bad freesync range and reading your review helped me to finally solve this equation.

Associate

I have 50000:1 contrast TN panel with 5ms response time and input lag unknown. I guess the contrast cannot be that bad in the AOC and colors should fine for me I assume. I wanted to get IPS monitor, but they are so expensive if I want 144hz.

I don't know if I am sensitive to input lag, because I only recently bought a PC which R9 390. All these years I have been playing on 32 inch tv with a PS4/PS3 and the TV is cheapest from 2009, so I guess AOC will be a upgrade.

I guess this monitor is upgrade for me and I am excited to get freesync, the 48-144 range worries me, because I am not sure how long R390 will keep me alive.

Associate
I have 50000:1 contrast TN panel with 5ms response time and input lag unknown. I guess the contrast cannot be that bad in the AOC and colors should fine for me I assume. I wanted to get IPS monitor, but they are so expensive if I want 144hz.

I don't know if I am sensitive to input lag, because I only recently bought a PC which R9 390. All these years I have been playing on 32 inch tv with a PS4/PS3 and the TV is cheapest from 2009, so I guess AOC will be a upgrade.

I guess this monitor is upgrade for me and I am excited to get freesync, the 48-144 range worries me, because I am not sure how long R390 will keep me alive.

i have no issues keeping any of the more demanding games within the monitors freesync range with a single msi r9 390. even the likes of gta5 and the witcher 3.
im pretty sure most tvs are 20ms and higher, once you try the monitor, you will never want to do any gaming on a tv again.

Associate
Ok, awesome. This monitor when fixed sounds like the best bang for buck at 300€/200£ price range. If only @AOC UK would give us an estimate or update on the monitor issues.

Associate
It's in the video. pcper monitor reviews may not be as in depth as PCM's or tftcentral but they're far from amateurs and determining if freesync and overdrive are working isn't exactly rocket science.
Also, Nixeus actually put the freesync range on their spec sheet. The range on the AOC was PR hearsay, it's nowhere on their product page.

Anyway, I just hoped we could've gotten a cheap 1080p 30-144 freesync monitor in Europe, or at the very least 40-144. 10 fps make a big difference on the lower range when you're pushing high settings.

I was waiting for the G2460pf because of its rumored 30-160 range, but once I heard all of the negative press on this forums, I decided to break down and buy the Nixeus. My biggest concern was its appearance and the possibility of feeling buyers remorse if the G2460pf turned out to be better. Well, now that I've had a chance to experience the monitor first hand, I can say that I have no regrets.. the monitor is amazing and easily meets all my expectations. I even contacted Nixeus support about a question I had and got an immediate response.. was not expecting that from a company I hadn't heard of.

Anyways, if you or anyone else has questions about the monitor, I'll try to answer them for you. I am now very much in love with this monitor and want to spread the word.

Price has dropped to 279.99 for the better model with the heavy-duty adjustable stand: http://www.amazon.com/Nixeus-1920x1...ie=UTF8&qid=1444502914&sr=8-1&keywords=nixeus

Not sure how hard it is to get it shipped to the UK, though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyway to find out if that nixeus uses the same panel as the AOC? Cant believe theres that many panels out there and apart from the reduced freesync range on the AOC the general image quality was pretty bad. Not even as good as my now probably 6 year old benq cheap monitor.

Associate
Nixeus seems tempting, but too bad I don't live in the USA, taxes would be 25% of the price and not including shipping. Also amazon says "Sorry, this item can't be shipped to your selected address. Learn more. You may either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order. "

My patience is kinda running thin on the wait of AOC, because I actually don't have any available monitor for my computer. I tried to contact AOC customer service like was it on Wednesday morning, but haven't yet received any answer. I don't mind waiting, but it is painful that there is no estimate how long it would take that they are able to ship the monitor to my country and my retailer to ship the monitor to me.

I would probably switch to some other brand, but there are not any competitions out there. No same priced freesync monitors here or no reasonable priced 144hz IPS monitors, so I guess I am stuck here.

Associate
Yeah, importing isn't feasible.

AOC added the 48-144Hz freesync range to the product page. So that's fully confirmed at least. Just need info on when the revision will be available.

Associate
Hi all,

ok so it's time to come out from behind the sofa! Sorry for the lack of communication this past week, we have been doing our best to resolve this issue and can now tell you...

1. Overdrive issue. It’s officially fixed now with a new firmware. Today we have started the rework of our G2460PF stock and it will be delivered to all retailers in Europe within the next two weeks. Of course, our warranty will cover the replacement for end users who bought a G2460PF from the first batch.

2. FreeSync range. The G2460PF does support 35-144Hz when using FreeSync. This week we are releasing an official driver that will improve the current FreeSync range to 35-144Hz. If you just Plug & Play the monitor, without installing any drivers, Windows will set it up at 50-144Hz. The driver will be uploaded on aoc-europe.com before the end of the week.

I hope this helps

Soldato
Silly releasing it without proper testing but hats off for admitting the problem and getting it sorted.

Heads up for anyone who finds this thread there are a couple of these monitors in the b-stock category on ocuk but I would avoid as these will be returned stock from the original batch!

I should know one of them will be mine :p

Associate
Hi all,

ok so it's time to come out from behind the sofa! Sorry for the lack of communication this past week, we have been doing our best to resolve this issue and can now tell you...

1. Overdrive issue. It’s officially fixed now with a new firmware. Today we have started the rework of our G2460PF stock and it will be delivered to all retailers in Europe within the next two weeks. Of course, our warranty will cover the replacement for end users who bought a G2460PF from the first batch.

2. FreeSync range. The G2460PF does support 35-144Hz when using FreeSync. This week we are releasing an official driver that will improve the current FreeSync range to 35-144Hz. If you just Plug & Play the monitor, without installing any drivers, Windows will set it up at 50-144Hz. The driver will be uploaded on aoc-europe.com before the end of the week.

I hope this helps

Thank god. I just couldn't find a proper monitor which would be better option than this. So I guess I am gonna stick with my order.... Also 35Hz freesync gives me peace of mind, because if ever my computer performance degrades...

Associate
Hi all,

I hope this helps

That's great to hear, thanks for the info.
Think I'm back on board :)

Associate
Will be grabbing this monitor when the new ones are shipped. Is there a way to identify them? Do I just make sure the retailer has V2 or something?

My local retailers told me that they got pullback order from AOC directly, so they took all the V1 back and they will replace their stock with V2, might be different out there, but doesn't hurt to ask.

Back
Top Bottom