• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Associate
I have two Zotac GTX 980Ti "Artic Storm" and I'm well happy with them.
But something a mate said to me the other day has me thinking. Although my cards are water cooled would a different block ie say from EK.
1) be a better cooling solution than the one already on the card (The fans on my card are redundant)
2) Which one if 1 is yes.

Soldato
I have two Zotac GTX 980Ti "Artic Storm" and I'm well happy with them.
But something a mate said to me the other day has me thinking. Although my cards are water cooled would a different block ie say from EK.
1) be a better cooling solution than the one already on the card (The fans on my card are redundant)
2) Which one if 1 is yes.

What are your full load temperatures?

Soldato
Think I definitely need to upgrade my cpu etc sooner rather than later!!! Firestrike is giving me 11500 as a score.

I'm assuming this will be the 8350 holding it back?

Soldato
Guess so, but firestrike and games are different things tbh.

Fwiw, I just got 15982 in standard firestrike with my cpu @4.4 and card at stock (boosts to 1316-1329mhz). GFX score 18433.
I'd imagine the x99 boys are getting plenty more than that.

Associate
It's when your GPU usage drops below 99% when you need to worry, more importantly, when your GPU usage is <99% and when you aren't hitting your refresh rate.

My i5-3450 was bottlenecking my 980Ti in Valley/Heaven, especially at 1080p, but for games it was 'fine' - I noticed an improvement from a 5820k in games such as GTA:V, but that's to be expected.

Soldato
It's when your GPU usage drops below 99% when you need to worry, more importantly, when your GPU usage is <99% and when you aren't hitting your refresh rate.

My i5-3450 was bottlenecking my 980Ti in Valley/Heaven, especially at 1080p, but for games it was 'fine' - I noticed an improvement from a 5820k in games such as GTA:V, but that's to be expected.

Ah there we go. I'm getting less than 80% usage on the card but in gta just now its hitting around 55fps at 4k.

I'm upgrading everything else in a few weeks anyway so its no issue at the moment.

As I point of reference for the future, what are good overclocks for core and memory? 200 on core, 300 on memory or are these capable of more?

Edit: Regardless, I am so impressed right now regardless. Amazing

Last edited:
Associate
For games? Something around 1450 core/1900 memory (aka 4800 in Afterburner) is what I would consider normal for a 980Ti.

I can't give you the figures in +s as every card has a different base core clock :p

Back
Top Bottom