• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI 980 Ti Lightning Air cooling review by 8Pack

OcUK Staff
The MSI lightning range of cards has been the most successful overclocking series of cards ever made for benching and gamer's alike.

With this MSI have taken both AMD and Nvidia high end GPU redesigned the PCB and power delivery to produce a true hero product.

The last Lightning series was R290X lightning for me a great product taking all benching WR's from single GPU to quad Crossfire. This being said I was very pleased to learn MSI had designed a 980 Ti lightning and that I would be able to bench test it on air cooling and beyond.

The MSI 980 Ti lighting design is robust to say the least. Both in PCB design and cooling its over engineered so that every ounce of performance can be extracted from the 980 TI GPU.

The PCB is a 10 layer design with full 10 Phase Power supplying the GPU alone. The memory has further 3 phase delivery so as to get as much stable power to the mems as possible and enhance the overclocking potential.

The MSI 980 Ti Lightning has a distinctive Black and yellow triple fan cooler that matches perfectly there own M Power or X power Series of motherboards as well as any other black or black and yellow combination motherboards. The card has a full length black back plate which adds rigidity to the PCB, extra cooling and looks great with the lightning branding visible too. On air 2 way SLI is no issue at all but three and four way may need water as to my eyes the fan blades would hit the card below if not a slightly larger gap than 2 slot was available.

Here we have some pics of this aesthetically great looking card mounted in my test rig ready for testing.

Lets now check out some performance results when overclocked. For these overclocking tests I used MSI afterburner to control the card but added no voltage and used the auto fan profile so as the results I achieve can be attained by all most end users dependent on sample quality of course.

Test Rig:
5960X 4875mhz
ASUS RVE X99 motherboard
Kingston DDR4 Predators
8Pack 2000w PSU
Kingston SSD
Windows 8.1 64 Bit
Nvidia Forceware 353.06 Drivers.

3D mark Firestrike

3D Mark Firestrike Xtreme

3D Mark Firestrike Ultra

Heaven 1080P (maxed out)

Valley 1080p Extreme HD

Valley 4K Extreme HD

As you can see from the benchmarks the overclocking performance of this Ti is very high with 1525-1550 mhz core and 2125-2150+ mhz mems no problem on the stock cooler. This is infact the best performing 980 Ti I have ever tested on stock volts and cooling which is very impressive given I have already reviewed many of the flagship cards from all the major players.

Check out our OCUK forum Firestrike thread and you will see this card with a touch of volts beating all water cooled Titan X never mind Ti giving you a measure of how good this Ti really is.

The cooler is both quiet in operation and effective in cooling this overclocked Ti. My sample never got above 68C when being bench tested for a long period of time at high mhz and if for benching you force the fan to full it never exceeds 63C running full pelt!!

In conclusion I recommend this TI to all gamers and overclockers. It is a cool, quiet,well built, performance monster!! and the best I have tested to date.

I will add some LN2 testing results to this review in time. Some world records on the way I think ;)

OcUK Staff
Hi there

A truly epic card and it is currently on THIS WEEK ONLY at just £599.99, grab one now:

MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti Lightning 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING) @ £599.99 inc VAT

GX-302-MS_400.jpg

The Lightning is amongst the best of the 980Ti's if not the very best, even our own 8 Pack had some input on the design of this legendary card with boost clocks out of the box close to 1500MHz possible and when overclocked around 1600MHz is possible (not guaranteed).

Ti. The most powerful two letters in the world of GPUs. When paired with our flagship gaming GPU–GeForce GTX 980–it gives you incredible new levels of performance and capabilities. GTX 980 Ti is accelerated by the groundbreaking NVIDIA Maxwell™ architecture to deliver an unbeatable 4K and virtual reality experience. With 2816 NVIDIA® CUDA® cores and 6 GB of memory, it has the horsepower to drive whatever comes next.

Features:
- Twin BIOS
- Enhanced Power Design: 12 GPU Phases, 3 Memory Phases & 10 layer PCB
- SuperPipe Technology: Three 8mm SuperPipes
- Triple Overvoltage
- Triple Temp Monitor
- V-Check Points
- Military Class components
- VR Ready
- DirectX 12 Ready
- 4k Ready
- 6144MB VRAM

Specification
- GeForce 980Ti
- GPU: GeForce 980Ti
- Core Base Clock: 1203MHz
- Core Boost Clock: 1304MHz
- Memory Clock: 7100MHz
- Memory Size: 6144MB GDDR5
- Bus Type: PCI Express 3.0
- Memory Bus: 384-bit
- CUDA Cores: 2816
- DirectX 12: Yes
- DVI Port: 1x Dual-Link DVI, 3x DisplayPort & 1x HDMI
- DisplayPort: Yes
- HDCP: Yes
- HDMI: Yes
- Power: 2x 8-Pin & 1x 6-Pin
- 600W Gold PSU Required
- 250W-300W TDP
- Dimensions: L=330mm, W=140mm, H=53mm
- Warranty: 3yr

Was [£629.99] Inc. VAT

Only £599.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

P.B

P.B

Soldato
That is a lovely card I wish I waited and not bought the titan X in a way but the other side says I've had this level of performance since the titan x launch.

Soldato
The GTX 980ti Lightning or GTX 980ti Classified for SLI and overclocking on air

The Classified as it's a duel slotter/cheaper and better warranty support.

Reference cards would be even better still as they exhaust most of the heat out the rear although more than likely won't clock aswell.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yup, Heard they've slacked off a little with the vanilla Classified which is a shame.

Should still clock well though, just more inline with the silicon lottery.

Soldato
Classified is really not in same league as lightning in terms of Ti. Evga really changed classy this generation. Kingpin only evga product to go against lightning.

Out of curiosity in which areas ?

I have 1500/2000 bench and game stable on my classy and it's super quiet with near zero coilwhine :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Out of curiosity in which areas ?

I have 1500/2000 bench and game stable on my classy and it's super quiet with near zero coilwhine :)

Lower quality power delivery, lower quality PCB etc etc all lower than 980 Classy even. EVGA's 980 Classy was too good and as good as Kingpin, this time they offered range control with a distinct and large difference between the two.

In these areas the Classy in no lightning.

Kingpin better than Classy in every possible way but ofcouurse very high price especially for the higher ASIC cards. But Kingpin is a great card no doubt.

Soldato
Lower quality power delivery, lower quality PCB etc etc all lower than 980 Classy even. EVGA's 980 Classy was too good and as good as Kingpin, this time they offered range control with a distinct and large difference between the two.

In these areas the Classy in no lightning.

Kingpin better than Classy in every possible way but ofcouurse very high price especially for the higher ASIC cards. But Kingpin is a great card no doubt.

Interesting, Thanks for the info :)

Soldato
Funny how other reviews seem to just be able to scrape 1500mhz on the core.

Nothing special about this card at all.

Quoted from a review:

Now first let me hand out a warning. Typical voltage control usage for end-users goes a little something like this: "hey I got 1.3 Volts, let me use it!", that assumption / thesis is wrong. On air cooling you can only use so much Voltage before a too high setting makes the GPU unstable again. For the lightning on air-cooling you are looking at roughly 1.22~1.25V that we can recommend. 1.3V gave us far more instability and did not yield into higher clock frequencies on the GPU.

I won't lie, the Lightning was a fairly hard piece of technology to overclock, in the end we hover at close to 1.5 GHz Boost clock frequencies. This was stable, but for long term usage, I'd probably have to recommend you to drop down another 50 MHz on the GPU.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
OP
^^^ Silicon lottery ofcourse. Thats the only point you have!! and its one everyone is aware of.

If they have clocked many Maxwell they will also know temp is more important than voltage on ambient.

Did your G1 beat this random Lightning in benches?? Just out of interest?? NO!!!

Associate
Have to say that's some impressive scores! Only just got into the whole pc building thing with a i5 4690k and a EVGA 980TI with backplate, no were the scores you have but I'm happy with it! :) I'm still running all at stock 3.5ghz on cpu and 1109mhz on the 980ti!

Back
Top Bottom