IIyama 40" 4k VA monitor

Associate
I gave them detailed steps when submitting, but that doesn't seem to have made it into the notes on the RMA. I suppose I'll wait for it to come back and decide whether to send it to Iiyama instead.

Associate
Associate
Hi

Having got one of these for Christmas, today it made a loud bang and the screen won't display anything, though power is still on as it has the power light indicator and it switches from standby to on.

So I just wanna know how everyone is getting on with theirs so I can decide if I get a replacement or just get a refund? I'm assuming the failure rate is small on them or have others had more issues? I did read csin82s monitor blowing up. Anyone had any other problems?

Apart from it failing I will say it generally is a fantastic monitor, great image quality even on lower resolution sources.

@csin82 have you had your replacement yet or any information on when it'll actually arrive?

Associate
Hello happy huge Screen users !

I'm interested by those 4k 40" screens, and I wondered it this one could, like the philips one, use lower resolution than 4k without stretching, by using black bars.

Can someone confirm the iiyama can also do this ?
I just gave this a go by making some custom resolutions and it works fine, black bars as with the Philips (and obviously you could use GPU scaling if you wanted). 3440x1440 looks quite ugly as it's scaled, but 3840xWhatever comes out native, perfectly sharp.

Associate
Hi

Having got one of these for Christmas, today it made a loud bang and the screen won't display anything, though power is still on as it has the power light indicator and it switches from standby to on.

So I just wanna know how everyone is getting on with theirs so I can decide if I get a replacement or just get a refund? I'm assuming the failure rate is small on them or have others had more issues? I did read csin82s monitor blowing up. Anyone had any other problems?

Apart from it failing I will say it generally is a fantastic monitor, great image quality even on lower resolution sources.

@csin82 have you had your replacement yet or any information on when it'll actually arrive?

No info yet. I called them on the 23rd and they still couldn't give me an eta. I've also been keeping an eye on another retailer that has them listed as 'pre-order' - if that goes to 'in stock' it means they're coming in again and I'll get on to Iiyama again! Failing that I'll hassle them in the first week of Jan.

Up to you but we seem to have 3 failures on this thread, two pretty terminal - in what must only be a few hundred sold. I'm going to wait for a replacement as there's currently no real alternatives out there if you don't want to buy a TV but if you're not 100% sold on the huge 4k monitor idea it may be worth getting a refund.

Last edited:
Associate
I got impatient and followed up with Iiyama again today. Still no stock, still no ETA - "It is a 40 inch monitor" seems to be a valid excuse to the rep I spoke to (and I don't get shirty with call center workers so it wasn't provoked).

It's getting to the point where I'm considering getting a decent 27" IPS to replace my old one that has no connections instead then trying to sell the replacement Iiyama some time in 2018 when it arrives! Off on holiday for 2 weeks in January so will at least wait until after that.

Associate
I got impatient and followed up with Iiyama again today. Still no stock, still no ETA - "It is a 40 inch monitor" seems to be a valid excuse to the rep I spoke to (and I don't get shirty with call center workers so it wasn't provoked).

Hmm, it makes you wonder if there have been a fair whack reported with the same issue and they're one of the only reps handling issues with that monitor (either that or they're just not good at handling calls).

Associate
I have never seen such a fragile screen coating as whatever these have. A client has just ruined two of mine by tapping lightly on them with her pen when pointing things out - each tap has left a permanent cluster of glowing pixels behind! Black screens now look like a constellation. :mad:

Soldato
I have never seen such a fragile screen coating as whatever these have. A client has just ruined two of mine by tapping lightly on them with her pen when pointing things out - each tap has left a permanent cluster of glowing pixels behind! Black screens now look like a constellation. :mad:

Thanks for sharing that. Do the pixels persist after a power cycle? If so, that would be an instant no from me; does the Philips share the same fault?

Associate
Do the pixels persist after a power cycle?
Oh absolutely yes, it's an actual physical thing. It seems the VA coating is incredibly thin, so a tap creates a tiny prism in its surface that appears as roughly 2x2 stuck pixels on any dark background. See blue dot beside the cursor for an example. That was made yesterday by tapping the screen with less force than it would take to click a mouse button.
CXf1Y7CWMAELfU6.jpg:large

does the Philips share the same fault?
I have access to the Philips to compare, but obviously I'd rather not start cutting notches in it to find out! I can say I haven't found any similar defects in its screen surface having had it for some time, whereas these ones appeared in the Iiyamas very quickly.

Associate

Wow thats quite wierd. What do you do if you get some junk on your screen? I got a 40 inch monitor here that I just used a glasses cloth on to wipe some stuff off and no issues with pixels etc ...

Associate
Thanks for sharing that. Do the pixels persist after a power cycle? If so, that would be an instant no from me; does the Philips share the same fault?
Not having much luck with these are you? I'd be billing my client for the damage! I remember years ago a client jabbing a pen into the screen of my brand new laptop screen and them being taken aback with me freaking out about it. Cheeky gets!!

Associate
Not having much luck with these are you?
I've been thinking that too, but I have to keep rationalising it on the basis they were very cheap, and I shouldn't expect the earth from £1500's worth of monitors. As you say, I could tack that on the bill of any of my clients and they wouldn't even notice, but for once I'd feel bad as she really didn't seem to be doing it hard enough to leave a mark.

I'm one of those people who think capital punishment should be reintroduced for those that smear finger oil or tap non-touch screens with pens. Savages.

Associate
i found strange issue with this display
on certain pictures i got blue artifacts
exactly this picture in fullscreen creating weird artifacts for me

here is image causing issue for download
http://sharegadget.com/374469390

im using included displayport cable + R9 290X and it happen only in 3840x2160, 3800x1800, 2560x1440 both 30hz and 60hz
its fine in 1920x1080

(sorry that it have 15mb when i save it as .jpeg it stop doing artifacts :D)
can someone with same unit test for me if this is issue on all panels or only my problem?

Last edited:
Associate
i found strange issue with this display
on certain pictures i got blue artifacts
THANK CHRIST. I thought I was going mental. As you can see from previous posts, I have a screen that blanks out on certain images, and got refused an RMA. I expect it's a problem with the onboard display controller. I will try your image once I'm A) home and B) sober.
EDIT: Now that I'm home but not sober, I'm afraid I can display your particular image on all 3 of my units in full screen 1:1. However, there are similar images from the same game (Fallout 4) that cause one of my screens to blank out, as detailed previously in the thread. There is definitely something up with them. Before RMA'ing I would try an alternative cable if you have one (possibly HDMI), because I found the bundled DP cable wasn't always adequate for 4K.

Last edited:
Associate
yep i will try hdmi but my card do only hdmi 1.4
i also have heavily modified bios for my 290X so i need to make it stock before next testing (messed with memory timings etc..)

i hope that its just bad cable...

edit: hmm it also does this with HDMI 1.4 4k@30hz thats weird :D

Last edited:
Associate
i reflashed my card with different vBIOS and it seems to help that flickering a lot (but still can be seen once every 10sec on that image :D so its prolly all about AMD card signal

Associate
i reflashed my card with different vBIOS and it seems to help that flickering a lot (but still can be seen once every 10sec on that image :D so its prolly all about AMD card signal
I'm on Nvidia with a stock BIOS, but I agree it seems to be signal related. Does anyone know if there's a way to boost the DP output from NV cards?

Back
Top Bottom