• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" Launched at $199

Associate
if you wanna trade a brand new finfet architecture with 28nm one that it's production stoped that have impact on driver and support life span, get half memory, lose on efficiency, have worst DX12 gaming experience, lose in DP1.3/1.4, HDR, and probably some other new features, then yea no brainer...
ppl are unbelievable!
oh and yea still slower even it's only 10%, that is still slower...

There are two question marks in my post. I made no statements.

Associate
So your not bothered that an AIB 970 has been the same price for a year as AIB 480's will be now, despite the fact that its looking increasingly like its not even as fast as that in reality?

All your interested in is what an older card was priced at two years ago.

So for you AMD are in competition only with their own cards of old.

I'm not quite sure why it's even compared to 970 tbh. For the last time, RX480 is a 380 replacement. 380 which had its 960 counterpart. It's launching at the same 380 price point and likely beats it by 50+%.

Smaller Vega is 390/390X replacement which had its 970/980 counterparts. And I expect it to beat them by about 50+%.

Is that simple enough for you? :D RX480 should be compared to 960/380 and 1060.

OcUK Staff
Not sure about the 480 now. 970 performance is a bit meh and I know it is an ebtry level card but do I want to put that in my mates lads computer or just tell him to add a £100 and grab a 1070.... Decisions decisions.

You can't get a 1070 for £320, they are around £400 !

Associate
Radeon-RX-480-Presentation-VideoCardz_com-19.jpg

Radeon-RX-480-Presentation-VideoCardz_com-18.jpg

Radeon-RX-480-Presentation-VideoCardz_com-17.jpg

Radeon-RX-480-Presentation-VideoCardz_com-15.jpg

Radeon-RX-480-Presentation-VideoCardz_com-14.jpg

Radeon-RX-480-Presentation-VideoCardz_com-13.jpg

More here
http://videocardz.com/61557/rajas-super-secret-cigar-stash

Associate
In der8auer's video he looks up hwbot at one point to find some scores for firestrike and there's an array of 970s at ~1200mhz, but there are also 970s @ ~1450mhz with similar scores, does anyone know why that is and why doesn't he use those scores as a comparison?

Soldato
In der8auer's video he looks up hwbot at one point to find some scores for firestrike and there's an array of 970s at ~1200mhz, but there are also 970s @ ~1450mhz with similar scores, does anyone know why that is and why doesn't he use those scores as a comparison?

Cause AMD is DOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

He is looking at the total scores and not the GPU score. The GPU score is around the same as a GTX980.

OcUK Staff
Not a major problem, but there will be games where you will have to not use the better/best texture settings available.

I still think a 480 is a better bet, though. Has more room for improvement through drivers and will also have the benefit in most DX12 situations.

All I will say is I benched a 390X Strix OC in Ashes Singularity DX12, I then benched the RX 480 at stock, 1fps difference.

So yes in DX12 it is powerful and will improve.

Wait for the reviews tomorrow with game benchmarks. :)

Soldato
BF1
X-Fire 480 as fast as GTX 1080?

Currently £440 or £589
Games sell hardware so if any AAA title coming this autumn/winter is optimised for X-Fire Polaris RX480 surely it will have an impact on sales.

Last edited:
Soldato
if you wanna trade a brand new finfet architecture with 28nm one that it's production stoped that have impact on driver and support life span, get half memory, lose on efficiency, have worst DX12 gaming experience, lose in DP1.3/1.4, HDR, and probably some other new features, then yea no brainer...
ppl are unbelievable!
oh and yea still slower even it's only 10%, that is still slower...

Don't let common sense get In the way of an ignorant quest for speed by the here and now generation.

In some ways I can see why people would take a 970 over this as currently a decent 970 will outperform this card fairly well in most games, however once the drivers mature and once your faces with Async games the 480 will pull ahead. However most people won't wait, they will buy what's faster now and then whine later when they realise the card they should have chosen is now better.

However by that time Nvidia would have had another card to feed them

Sad that AMD once again got this so very very wrong..

I'm again stuck with my 290 until Vega comes only consolation is it runs the Division on my 1440 144hz Freesync screen at settings I'm happy with at over 85 fps.

I had thought that perhaps this card would offer me around 980 perf for less power and heat, but it seems it won't offer that level of performance and won't run cool on the stock cooler, I have a sliver of hope the aftermarket cards can make up some ground but I'm not holding my breath

Soldato
Whilst it may be slightly underwhelming, it's still going to be the card to buy at £220, at least until the 1060 arrives (and frankly I don't expect that'll set the world on fire either). There's no good reason to pick an old AMD or Nvidia card over it, so if you want a graphics card and can't afford to simply spend another £150+ at the drop of a hat, it's going to be the right choice.

It is what it is I guess. Not in any way exciting, just solid. I don't see if shifting in the kind of numbers that AMD might be hoping for though. It would have needed to give existing 970/390/980/390X owners a reason to upgrade for that.

Associate
All I will say is I benched a 390X Strix OC in Ashes Singularity DX12, I then benched the RX 480 at stock, 1fps difference.

So yes in DX12 it is powerful and will improve.

Wait for the reviews tomorrow with game benchmarks. :)

Interesting ;) Which means it likely runs circles around 970 in DX12.

Back
Top Bottom