Netgear SC101 Storage Central

Associate
Anyone got one of these?

I basically want a NAS device that can hold 2x disks, and supports RAID1.

This seems to fit the bill - except it uses IDE, would prefer SATA support.

Thanks.

Associate
Haven't got one, but ive heard bad news regarding cooling on them. As they have no fan etc, it seems that the higher capacity harddrives can get really hot in them (maybe too hot)

Also, again from what i've read, there not like normal NAS devices which you simply connect to your network and are able to browse the network shares. For the netgear storage central you have to install drivers on the OS and then it see's it as a drive letter. This could make a difference depending on how your using it. i.e. my NAS gets accessed by quite a few people on our wireless network, having them install software just to get a few small files, is not going to bode well......Of course i could set up a file share from my computer, but that kinda defeats the purpose of it.

Associate
OP
Toytown said:
Haven't got one, but ive heard bad news regarding cooling on them. As they have no fan etc, it seems that the higher capacity harddrives can get really hot in them (maybe too hot)

Also, again from what i've read, there not like normal NAS devices which you simply connect to your network and are able to browse the network shares. For the netgear storage central you have to install drivers on the OS and then it see's it as a drive letter. This could make a difference depending on how your using it. i.e. my NAS gets accessed by quite a few people on our wireless network, having them install software just to get a few small files, is not going to bode well......Of course i could set up a file share from my computer, but that kinda defeats the purpose of it.

Ah well ... back to the Linux/Samba idea then. Thanks.

Soldato
I've got one (got it as a freebie) and it is a piece of junk. If I create a Raid 1 array the device drops off the network after I've transferred around 10Gb to it and it won't come back until it has been power cycled.

The Storage Central software is awful, it crashes a lot, insists on connecting to the internet every time you open it to check for updates. It also messes up the Add/Remove Programs control panel applet (it takes a couple of minutes to open now) and if the SC101 has gone to sleep (something you have no control over) when you want to reboot/shutdown/open windows explorer then you have to wait for it to wake up again.

In short - avoid. Mine will be going on eBay when I get home next week.

Soldato
I used to have a dedicated PC running Linux that just did file sharing, but I got fed up of the noise. I'll be replacing the SC101 with a Buffalo TeraStation in the next few weeks - we've got a couple on the office and they do the job very nicely.

Associate
I'll be replacing the SC101 with a Buffalo TeraStation in the next few weeks

Got a Buffalo Linkstation here, which has been flawless since its been installed. The only complaint i have is that you dont seem to be able to setup access rights per account......i.e

user101 has read access but not write to a sharedfolder

You can setup rights but its for the sharedfolder only, so if the shared folder is read/write, every authorised user can read/write.

Its the a model down from the terrastation though, so presumably they addressed this. Other than that though it works perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom