Just added.....

Soldato
This:

newcpugi9.png

xps m1710 :D

It isnt slow, its doing 190 odd ppd when all my others struggle to get over 95. :)

When i drop a merom (mobile conroe) in later it should be even better :D

Soldato
What you need is some 364-point units. They love the cache.

Code:
Project : 1478
Core	: Gromacs
Frames  : 100
Credit  : 364

-- Core Duo I --

Min. Time / Frame : 9mn 20s - 561.60 ppd
Avg. Time / Frame : 9mn 20s - 561.60 ppd
coreduo.gif

With the 2.16 you should be easily 700+ ppd. They're rare though.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I'm getting one of those when I get back from Egypt in a couple of weeks time - can't wait to see what it does with those 364 pointers - looks good :cool:

I'll probably also be getting a 4000+ SD as well (silly low price at OcUK).
I currently have an X2 3800+ in a cheapo matx board which has a 250MHz FSB limit. I'm fairly sure the 3800 will do more than that so I've bought a DFI Ultra D from a guy in the MM (and 1Gb of TCCD RAM :D ). I intend to put the 3800+ in the Ultra D with the Mushkin Redline from the cheapo box and put the SD with the TCCD in their places - the higher multiplier on the 4000+ should cancel out the lack of FSB and the TCCD will easily do 250MHz 1:1 with reasonably tight timings.

I'll be ordering the rest of the bits from OcUK as well as an X1900XT from this week only.

If the 3800 clocks properly, I'll use that as my gaming machine - if not, I'll swap the x1800XT in my current gaming rig for the x1900xt.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Mattus said:
What you need is some 364-point units. They love the cache.

Code:
Project : 1478
Core	: Gromacs
Frames  : 100
Credit  : 364

-- Core Duo I --

Min. Time / Frame : 9mn 20s - 561.60 ppd
Avg. Time / Frame : 9mn 20s - 561.60 ppd
coreduo.gif

With the 2.16 you should be easily 700+ ppd. They're rare though.

My 1.6 Dothan gets over 500 PPD for those - can't wait to see what the M1710 will do.

Stan :)

Soldato
So naturally I tried two at once :p But there's not much improvement, about 560ppd running one and total 600ppd running 2.

I think it's because they're sharing the cache and memory. Someone needs to try with a Conroe with 4MB L2 cache.

Soldato
BillytheImpaler said:
Dude, they've been out for a month now. I could call up one of the big OEMs and order one now. :D
The ES has been out for a month. Unfortunately I do not have access to those :(

I am waiting for retail.

Dunc

Man of Honour
The XPS machines rock. Seen the older models. Fastest gaming laptop on the planet. Yes, I did think about getting one, but I'm waiting to go straight to Merom from new. The problem is that if you go opening up yours to change the CPU, I'm fairly sure you'll void your warranty. Dell are pretty flexible when it comes to upgrades, but upgrading the CPU might just be a push too far. :(

Meanwhile my Mac Mini (T2300) chomped it's way through a 364-pointer in just over a day, and that wasn't even on 100% CPU (I forgot to reset it after coming back from holiday - oops).

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Berserker said:
The XPS machines rock. Seen the older models. Fastest gaming laptop on the planet. Yes, I did think about getting one, but I'm waiting to go straight to Merom from new. The problem is that if you go opening up yours to change the CPU, I'm fairly sure you'll void your warranty. Dell are pretty flexible when it comes to upgrades, but upgrading the CPU might just be a push too far. :(

If it's as fast as it's claimed, there should be no need to upgrade to Merom - yes it's tempting, but unnecessary (doesn't mean I won't do it though ;) )

Berserker said:
Meanwhile my Mac Mini (T2300) chomped it's way through a 364-pointer in just over a day, and that wasn't even on 100% CPU (I forgot to reset it after coming back from holiday - oops).

Slacker tbh :p

Stan :)

Back
Top Bottom