• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

HIS Radeon x1950 pro 512mb really F!"£$%N annoying me

Associate
I bought one of these cards thinking it was a resonably priced 'Daddy' of AGP cards around at the mo, installed it (blimey its a biggun) booted up, drivers installed - time to rock!

CSS - runs like a dream with everything maxed then i got BSOD, so i tried the omega drivers and everythings hunky

STALKER - I just want to cry, will play fine for about 5/10/20 mins then Bam! Artifacts galour!!! surely if you pay good money for a card it shouldnt annoy the **** out of you. If its not the artifacts then the game will just cease up like an oap in a rabbit in the headlights senario!

I even bought a new psu thinking it might help the Hiper 580w but still no joy.

So after reading the x1950 whining thread and artifacts problems Im gonna return the card get my money back, which is where you lovely guys come in :)

Im after a stable AGP card that will let me play games on near enough maxed settings for around the £170 mark, mainly CSS,HL2,Stalker and battlefiled 2142.

So I call upon the superior knowledge of you lovely gents and gentesses (if there are any ou there) to help me in my quest for a suitable AGP card

Thanks in advance

CoopZ

My setup

Hiper 580w PSU
1.5 gb Ram
2.8 dual core pentium cpu
80 gig sata maxtor
120 gig IDE IBM deskstar
soundblaster live 5.1
Sony DVDRW

Associate
OP
Im looking for a refund as I dont want another card to go kerput on me again :) Was actually looking at the Saphirre model of the x1950 pro 512 but are these any good ??

I would consider changing to PCI-E, could i still use all my existing components apart from the graphics card ?

Do you happen to know of any PCI mobos and graphics cards that would run at the same speed as an AGP x1950 pro ?

Also im running XP, Windows Nemesis 4 ;)

Caporegime
I think it's your PSU...

I too have a Hiper 580w with this card and was getting boot problems, game crashes and BSODs all over the place, so I took a liitle trip over to the Sapphire support forums...
The admins there told me that this card requires PSU with a 22amp+ rail. The Hiper only has 20a from what I can see.

I've ordered an Enemax Liberty 620w as recommened by them and others.

Last edited:
Soldato
Mr Blonde, could you post back to update if the new PSU solves your problems - I've got the same gfx card and PSU as you and am having the exact same problems.

I wouldn't mind knowing if it actually is the PSU before I splash out.

Soldato
I had artifacts and my first blue screen in Vista playing stalker 2 nights ago on my x1900 xt. Wasn't doing anything special.

It's Stalker I tell you. It's a buggy piece of poo.

Associate
z0mbi3 said:
I had artifacts and my first blue screen in Vista playing stalker 2 nights ago on my x1900 xt. Wasn't doing anything special.

It's Stalker I tell you. It's a buggy piece of poo.

Well I thought that too... I've had the same Artefact issues with some games and not always consistant.. but today I was fully refunded because the HIS1950pro which is discussed here was faulty.. Nevermind the power supply theory.. I bought a new one aswell.. It didnt solve anything except empty my pocket a little bit more.

Do yourself a favour and return the card now.. ASK in writing for a refund and choose something thats less hassle.

COOPZ Im also looking for a card to replace the 1950pro.. with around £170
Let me know what you find.

M1CRO.

Associate
coopz8181 said:
I bought one of these cards thinking it was a resonably priced 'Daddy' of AGP cards around at the mo, installed it (blimey its a biggun) booted up, drivers installed - time to rock!

Hey coopz, I just RMA'd my second HIS 2 weeks ago and pretty much have had it with them, at least where the X1950 Pro's are concerned. Anyway, my Gecube X1950XT TEC/Turbo 256 MB AGP card just came yesterday and instead of me blathering on here is what I posted on some of other sites about it .....

OK, here are a few my not so quick impressions of the Gecube X1950XT. The first thing that struck me even before getting to the card was the Box it came in. It's huge with a very nice picture of Ruby I might add. (I dig redheads) It reminds me of the good old days when men were men and graphics cards came packaged in boxes the size of a small piece of luggage. Anyway, after opening the box I could see why. The card was massive, taking up the AGP slot plus 2 PCI slots. The pictures really don't do it justice and I think if I put it on top of my FX 5200 (tweener card) it would probably crush it. Luckily I have plenty of room in my case. The next thing I did was to examine the card to see if everything was attached properly and to my horror I immediately noticed they did not have any ramsinks attached to any of the memory chips and that there is about ½ inch of clearance between the memory chips and the cooler. So at this point I had visions of my 2 faulty HIS cards dancing around in my head.

Next, the install. Took 5 minutes and even as big as the card is, it fit fine and had plenty of clearance on all sides. Now for the part you've been waiting for, the performance. This is probably going to disappoint you as it did me briefly but it is not a whole lot faster than the HIS X1950 Pro ICEQ3 Turbo, at least on my rig anyway, but at least this card works CPU bottleneck and all! The default clocks on the card are 648 Mhz. Core and 700 Mhz (1400 mhz. Effective) for the memory. I have only done a few runs of 3DMark05/06 so far and the results are below. Note, you can't expect the same performance from this card as you would get from the PCI-E card. The PCI-E X1950XT's generally have their memory clocked at 1800 Mhz. Effective as the default.

HIS ICEQ3 Turbo 512MB (when it worked) Core 620 Mhz. / Memory 1480 Mhz. effective

3DMark05: 9231
3DMark06: 4390

Gecube X1950XT TEC Turbo Fan 256 MB / Core 675 Mhz. / Memory 1400 Mhz. effective

3DMark05: 9617 (tweaked/updated)
3DMark06: 4683

The next thing I tried was to see how far I could push the card and to be honest I didn't have much hope for the card considering the memory does not have any ramsinks as I mentioned before. I first used ATI's Cat.7.3 Overdrive but that did not allow for memory overclocking as the slider only went from 701-702 Mhz. So I loaded up ATI Tray Tools. After a little trial and error I found stable clocks of 675 Mhz. for the core which is actually the recommended maximum by Gecube and they're right, pushed it up a few notches to 683 Mhz. and the GPU shut down. As far as the memory goes, I was pleasantly surprised and managed 800 Mhz (1600 Mhz. effective). Artifacts began appearing around 850 Mhz. and decided to back it off a bit since perfromance gains are nominal. I'm actually pretty amazed I could overclock the memory at all. For testing stability I ran ATI Tray Tools 3DRenderer for 3 hours with maximum temps reached 70c which is normal and given as the average temp under 3D load by Gecube. I also bumped up the FAN speed to 90% with ATI Tray Tools with no noticeable noise from my already noisy case. Overclocking results below.....

Gecube X1950XT TEC Turbo Fan 256 MB / Core 675 Mhz. / Memory 1600 Mhz. effective

3DMark05: 9818 (tweaked/updated)
3DMark06: 4860

I'd love to see what this card could do with a better CPU and a socket 939 motherboard in dual channel mode.....

Enough of that, now how about gaming. Haven't had much time unfortunately but I tested it with Prey, Quake 4, Doom3 and my son's Marvel Alliance. Graphics quality is outstanding as is the X1950 Pro. Gaming at 1680x1050 whenever possible and with everything maxed and getting decent frame rates. Speaking of framerates, how do you shut the counter off in ATI Tray Tools. Everytime I load the thing I forget. One thing I noticed almost immediately was, I'll call it “perceived speed. Everything I played just “felt” faster with movements appearing much more fluid and realistic.

So am I happy with the purchase. Hell yeah. It's $20 cheaper than the HIS X1950 Pro ICEQ3 I had, it's faster, although not by much, but most importantly the bloody thing WORKS!!

Well, that's all for now and of course I'll be doing some more tweaking so see if I can squeeze any more performance out of the card. I'll keep you posted.

.....and as for all you guy with working X1950 Pro's. Keep'em, they're great cards and I wouldn't even think about upgrading to this one unless you have money to burn. For those sitting on the fence right now about buying the Pro. Jump off and buy THIS card instead. Although talking bang for the buck, I still think the Sapphire X1950 Pro is it.

http://www.gecube.com/products-detail.php?prod_cat_pid=9&prod_cat_id=166&prod_id=65116

If you see someone posting with my username on Toms Hardware Forum, it's the sick little twisted turd banned from Guru3D.com.

Last edited:
Soldato
stalker is very buggy, especially on vista. i tried running it maxed out, and the artifacts were that big you couldnt miss them, booted into XP and run the game on same settings, no more artifacts.

Associate
honestjohn said:
Hey coopz, I just RMA'd my second HIS 2 weeks ago and pretty much have had it with them, at least where the X1950 Pro's are concerned. Anyway, my Gecube X1950XT TEC/Turbo 256 MB AGP card just came yesterday and instead of me blathering on here is what I posted on some of other sites about it .....

OK, here are a few my not so quick impressions of the Gecube X1950XT. The first thing that struck me even before getting to the card was the Box it came in. It's huge with a very nice picture of Ruby I might add. (I dig redheads) It reminds me of the good old days when men were men and graphics cards came packaged in boxes the size of a small piece of luggage. Anyway, after opening the box I could see why. The card was massive, taking up the AGP slot plus 2 PCI slots. The pictures really don't do it justice and I think if I put it on top of my FX 5200 (tweener card) it would probably crush it. Luckily I have plenty of room in my case. The next thing I did was to examine the card to see if everything was attached properly and to my horror I immediately noticed they did not have any ramsinks attached to any of the memory chips and that there is about ½ inch of clearance between the memory chips and the cooler. So at this point I had visions of my 2 faulty HIS cards dancing around in my head.

Next, the install. Took 5 minutes and even as big as the card is, it fit fine and had plenty of clearance on all sides. Now for the part you've been waiting for, the performance. This is probably going to disappoint you as it did me briefly but it is not a whole lot faster than the HIS X1950 Pro ICEQ3 Turbo, at least on my rig anyway, but at least this card works CPU bottleneck and all! The default clocks on the card are 648 Mhz. Core and 700 Mhz (1400 mhz. Effective) for the memory. I have only done a few runs of 3DMark05/06 so far and the results are below. Note, you can't expect the same performance from this card as you would get from the PCI-E card. The PCI-E X1950XT's generally have their memory clocked at 1800 Mhz. Effective as the default.

HIS ICEQ3 Turbo 512MB (when it worked) Core 620 Mhz. / Memory 1480 Mhz. effective - $289
3DMark05: 9231
3DMark06: 4390

Gecube X1950XT TEC Turbo Fan 256 MB / Core 648 Mhz. / Memory 1400 Mhz. effective - $269
3DMark05: 9526
3DMark06: 4683

The next thing I tried was to see how far I could push the card and to be honest I didn't have much hope for the card considering the memory does not have any ramsinks as I mentioned before. I first used ATI's Cat.7.3 Overdrive but that did not allow for memory overclocking as the slider only went from 701-702 Mhz. So I loaded up ATI Tray Tools. After a little trial and error I found stable clocks of 675 Mhz. for the core which is actually the recommended maximum by Gecube and they're right, pushed it up a few notches to 683 Mhz. and the GPU shut down. As far as the memory goes, I was pleasantly surprised and managed 800 Mhz (1600 Mhz. effective). Artifacts began appearing around 850 Mhz. and decided to back it off a bit since perfromance gains are nominal. I'm actually pretty amazed I could overclock the memory at all. For testing stability I ran ATI Tray Tools 3DRenderer for 3 hours with maximum temps reached 70c which is normal and given as the average temp under 3D load by Gecube. I also bumped up the FAN speed to 90% with ATI Tray Tools with no noticeable noise from my already noisy case. Overclocking results below.....

Gecube X1950XT TEC Turbo Fan 256 MB / Core 675 Mhz. / Memory 1600 Mhz. effective - $269
3DMark05: 9763
3DMark06: 4860

I'd love to see what this card could do with a better CPU and a socket 939 motherboard in dual channel mode.....

Enough of that, now how about gaming. Haven't had much time unfortunately but I tested it with Prey, Quake 4, Doom3 and my son's Marvel Alliance. Graphics quality is outstanding as is the X1950 Pro. Gaming at 1680x1050 whenever possible and with everything maxed and getting decent frame rates. Speaking of framerates, how do you shut the counter off in ATI Tray Tools. Everytime I load the thing I forget. One thing I noticed almost immediately was, I'll call it “perceived speed. Everything I played just “felt” faster with movements appearing much more fluid and realistic.

So am I happy with the purchase. Hell yeah. It's $20 cheaper than the HIS X1950 Pro ICEQ3 I had, it's faster, although not by much, but most importantly the bloody thing WORKS!!

Well, that's all for now and of course I'll be doing some more tweaking so see if I can squeeze any more performance out of the card. I'll keep you posted.

.....and as for all you guy with working X1950 Pro's. Keep'em, they're great cards and I wouldn't even think about upgrading to this one unless you have money to burn. For those sitting on the fence right now about buying the Pro. Jump off and buy THIS card instead. Although talking bang for the buck, I still think the Sapphire X1950 Pro is it.

http://www.gecube.com/products-detail.php?prod_cat_pid=9&prod_cat_id=166&prod_id=65116

Were did you buy your new Gecube X1950XT
What did you do with the Gainward Bliss 7800 GS+ Goes Like Hell Ed

Soldato
RaiderX said:
stalker is very buggy, especially on vista. i tried running it maxed out, and the artifacts were that big you couldnt miss them, booted into XP and run the game on same settings, no more artifacts.
maybe try disabling aero? that could maybe affect gaming no? as i have vista and with my x800xt (although its old) doesnt have a single issue with stalker, no crashing or artifacts.

Associate
hey guys, just to let you know ive got the same card but the 2nd version 590mhz engin clock and 1.54ghz memory clock. this one runs fine no artifacts at all i would recormend this rev2 version to anyone. See if you can swap the one you got for this one.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your response guys muchos appreciated. I sent my HIS x1950 back yesterday so hopefully will get a full refund from those chaps i bought it from :cool:

From the analysis of the Gecube X1950XT 256MB it looks like I'll be purchasing this baby from ****** :) not bad at £139 no ?

Just wondering now if anyone with the Gecube X1950XT has tested it with Stalker and CSS? :D

Last edited:
Soldato
coopz8181 said:
Thanks for your response guys muchos appreciated. I sent my HIS x1950 back yesterday so hopefully will get a full refund from those chaps at *COMPETITOR*. :cool:

From the analysis of the Gecube X1950XT 256MB it looks like I'll be purchasing this baby from ****** :) not bad at £139 no ?

Just wondering now if anyone with the Gecube X1950XT has tested it with Stalker and CSS? :D
remove the competitor mate

Soldato
Good news buddy...

happy that your Ge cube works great.

I am about to buy the same card...

BUT...i have read many many bad comments about malfunctioning..faulty Ge cube cards...others have overheating issues wih the XT ge cube...

others had to rma the ge cube 1950pro....

many of them wouldnt buy the ge cube due to the high failure rates...

i am confused on what to buy...

gecube XT or sapphire Pro?

Soldato
Even tho it is only the 256 version, i have the Sapphire 1950Pro and cant fault it at all, excellent card and massive improvement over my 9800xt.

Running CSS on 1280x1024(max for my tft) with max settings and runs as smooth as you like.

Has been my 2nd sapphire card and rate them very highly.

Back
Top Bottom