Under 18's can buy and drink Shandy, but they can't buy or drink alcohol free beer?

Soldato
Shandy Bass contains just 0.5% alcohol

Beck's Blue Alcohol Free Lager contains just 0.05% alcohol

You require proof of age to buy the becks, but not the shandy, yet the shandy contains more alcohol?

Yes I'm bored.

Soldato
I tried to buy a normal can of shandy once and they tried to ID me for it,

I mean if anyone can actually get drunk off this they should win a medal.
Your more likely to get diabetes than get drunk...

Man of Honour
If it isn't a hot summers day and you haven't just been exercising, then there is no excuse for a shandy.

When those criteria are fulfilled, it's the drink of the gods.

Soldato
I remember buying like 10 cans of Shandy bass when I was young to see if it would get me bladdered, it didn't :(

I thought it would also make me look cool, again it didn't

Soldato
An alcoholic drink is defined as 0.5% abv or more, so in that respect there is no reason not to sell it to under 18s. In fact a local club used to do 16+ nights and sold Becks Blue (specifically) to under 18s without incident. Whether or not there is some other law that excludes the sale of such products to under 18s on the grounds of association with alcoholic drinks I do not know.
Mouthwashes are considered medicinal and as such are subject to an exemption.

SMN

SMN

Soldato
Interesting point OP. I wonder if its just an over zealous/cautious supermarket though, or has this been proven in multiple locations? I guess you have the image connotations, kids drinking bottles of becks vs shandy bass, i know which looks worse.

SMN

SMN

Soldato
Plus isnt it a little like the tobacco companies in the 50's, making chocolate cigarettes for kids to smoke to get them into the image before moving onto the big stuff?

Associate
No doubt Co op will be sticking to this like a religion even if its completley illogical, i've seem some of the checkout clerks (i understand it is their job) asking a person in a wheelchair with a beard trailing the floor and looks about 108 asking them for ID over a lighter..

Caporegime
Plus isnt it a little like the tobacco companies in the 50's, making chocolate cigarettes for kids to smoke to get them into the image before moving onto the big stuff?

they had those in the 90s aswell in realistic looking packets

Back
Top Bottom