The device, \Device\Harddisk4\DR4, is not ready for access yet

Associate
Hi all

I have been keeping an eye on my event viewer (I'm running Win 7 Pro x64bit) since installing 2 new 2TB Samsung F4 hard drives. It regularly shows this error message:

It has been occurring multiple times daily. I have not really noticed any issues when using my computer, I only noticed there was an issue as I saw this error message. Does anyone have any experience of this error message and what it means?

Soldato
How are the drives installed? If they're mirroring then it could be one of them is on the way out or there's a cable/controller problem. Check the cable, update the controller drivers/firmware and if that doesn't fix it see if there are any diagnostics utils on the Samsung site you can use to check the drives are OK.

If they aren't mirrored I'd update the motherboard drivers and still try and find a diagnostic util to check the drives, you shouldn't be seeing that events for new drives.

Associate
OP
The drives aren't mirrored or in any kind of RAID array. They are JBOD config with a Samsung F3 1TB and an F1 1TB.

I have just been using HDD tune pro v4.60 to perform an error scan. Its just finished for the drives and its showing this result:

HD Tune Pro: SAMSUNG HD204UI Error Scan

Scanned data : 1999 gB
Damaged Blocks : 0.0 %
Elapsed Time : 5:11:30

I have also looked as far back as the event viewer goes and there are the same error messages for the start of this month but for harddisk3, not 4.

As for the controller, that might be the issue. I recently upgraded my mobo from an Abit Quad GT to an Asus Rampage Formula x48 (which I updated to the latest firmware). I didn't do a clean installation of windows and never really removed the old drivers (except via control panel>remove program) from the abit motherboard. Could that be the cause?

Last edited:
Associate
possibly, if both drives are scanning ok, try driver sweeper and remove the old drivers and do a reinstall of the current raid drivers.

Associate
OP
I did the driver sweeper scan and removed the old jmicron drivers. I went to the asus support website and downloaded the drivers but when I try to install them I get the message that my pc doesnt meet the minimum required specs. I get the same message when trying to install the drivers from the intel website.

Back
Top Bottom