Is a designated residents parking space 'off the road'k

Soldato
From experience of living in a place very similar as long as you are in your bay no one will give a ****

It's when you leave a car not in a space or in a visitor space that the problems arise, And then it's normally only with the building management company.

Soldato
According to the copy of a DVLA VED Clamping presentation I have from back when they changed the rules, you can park up SORN vehicles in residential car parks. This includes both privately and housing association owned ones. So you should be fine.

However, residents parking bays directly on the side of a council owned road are not safe.

Associate
Looks like it, but I bet your lease, ground lease, title deeds (whichever is appropriate) has some restriction on leaving SORN'd cars (will be worded differently) in allocated residents spaces.

Caporegime
OP
However, residents parking bays directly on the side of a council owned road are not safe.

Yeah there is some off the road parking the other side of the main road that is not designated. I was fairly sure it couldn't be left there.

My space looks OK from a DVLA perspective then.

Looks like it, but I bet your lease, ground lease, title deeds (whichever is appropriate) has some restriction on leaving SORN'd cars (will be worded differently) in allocated residents spaces.

They would go into that much detail to specifically restrict the parking of SORN'ed cars?

Associate
They would go into that much detail to specifically restrict the parking of SORN'ed cars?

Like I say, they won't specifically refer to SORN'd cars but in most reasonably modern developments, which that looks like, there are usually restrictions. It will probably refer to things like "not using for vehicle storage", "good and roadworthy condition" when referring to the residents use of the car parking spaces.

Associate
Hmm, but would it still be up to one of the other residents or my landlord (who lives in Belgium) to notice and kick up a stink?

Yeah, pretty much, but don't underestimate peoples ability to be right idiots about these sort of things.

I doubt it would be an issue tbh but it could be a right ball-ache if you have to move it off site after you've SORN'd it, unless you have a trailer and a 2nd storage location handy.

Soldato
This may not help much, but if it's only a temporary thing I might have left my car taxed for 3 months, at the end of last year while trying to sell it, without any insurance and not heard anything ;)

Caporegime
OP
Yeah, its forward planning. If I'm still living here next Winter I'm going to take my car off the road between my last track day 2012 and the first one of 2013 :).

Back
Top Bottom