Plastic makes me a sad panda

Soldato
Can't spell Environmentalist without mentalist! :p

Plastic like Cluroflurocabons (CFCs) before it and Tetroethylene before that and Radium before that is just one in a list of many things mankind has thought was a great thing gets has turned out to have horrendous side effects for people or the planet (for example lead in the atmosphere and CFCs in the ozone will be around for a Hell of a long time)

Use of plastic needs to be reduced by a lot and soon.

Soldato
Or dont wear fur at all because it looks awful?

Who the **** are you to tell people what they can and can't wear because you like or dislike the look of it?
I made a valid point and all you can say is that... Pffff rubbish
I actually like my wife's fur coat and it's better for the environment than a plastic coat. TBH, it's probably a lot nicer than your gf's "Swampy" inspired mud thatch effort.

Last edited:
Associate
Does charging for carrier bags really reduce the use? I can't see people doing a weekly shop not buying bags because they're 6p.

I think the bag for life things are better because people actually do use them instead, because they don't suck and degrade within a few seconds of looking at them.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Though using less plastic is great, packaging is the worst offender.
I completely agree, packaging is by far worse.
It's something I've noticed in the UK more than the rest of Europe.

Cucumbers, for example, are wrapped in plastic. Why? Little things like that are such a waste.

Soldato
Or dont wear fur at all because it looks awful?

Who the **** are you to tell people what they can and can't wear because you like or dislike the look of it?

BYW, my wife's fur coat looks great and is better for the environment than your plastic alternative.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does charging for carrier bags really reduce the use? I can't see people doing a weekly shop not buying bags because they're 6p.

I think the bag for life things are better because people actually do use them instead, because they don't suck and degrade within a few seconds of looking at them.

You gave the answer in your own post...

It does reduce the use of plastic bags, because it's more financially viable to buy a bag for life rather than having to be charged x amount for the bags you use.

Soldato
Recently I have become a bit of an environmental convert. After spending 2 weeks sorting out my parents' loft of all the rubbish they have accumulated I found myself thinking, "no way do they need all this stuff". Since then I have started reading and researching about the environment and how I can be less wasteful.

I've done various small things, using the car a lot less, switching to Soya milk, halving my meat consumption, but today I had my eyes truly opened by two blogs about the evil that is plastic.http://plasticmanners.wordpress.com/ and
http://fakeplasticfish.com/. Both blogs are of people trying to dramatically cut down their plastic use, from refusing straws at cantines, to buying a toothbrush made out of boar hair!

Plastic really is everywhere but it is a poison. Its creation pollutes and its existance pollutes. Even when it is disposed of after the shortest of moments it will remain forever. That little plastic spoon, the cupholder, the little table you sometimes get in a pizza box. All of those will exist forever after they have been used.

I dont want to be preachy, but reading those blogs really has changed my view on the world. So if you care about your planet at all give them a look for a minute. Maybe refuse that straw next time, or take your own bag, or even track how much you use for a week or two. If we all used and wasted just that little bit less, the results could be staggering.

Stopped reading after this.

Associate
I actually like my wife's fur coat and it's better for the environment than a plastic coat. TBH, it's probably a lot nicer than your gf's "Swampy" inspired mud thatch effort.

BYW, my wife's fur coat looks great and is better for the environment than your plastic alternative.

SlugForAButt said:
Post count means nothing.

:D

Caporegime
Your knee jerk is totally expected and understandable. If I had read this post even a month ago I would have done the same. Though I ask you just to try some soya milk, just once, just to see if you like it. My girlfriend actually prefers it to dairy milk and my parents didnt know the difference on their cereal.

As for meat, dont get me wrong, I love a nice big juicy steak. I cook all the time and would hate to lose all my meat. But I have started substituting half of my meals with a quorn alternative meat or no meat at all. Again, I implore you to just buy some and try it. Quorn ham slices are really tasty in a toastie and quorn chicken is impossible to differentiate in a curry. Honestly, just try it, it won't hurt and you may be pleasantly surprised.

So, what exactly have you achieved through this? :/

Soldato
Indeed, one of the best things they did in this country in recent years environmentally wise was start charging for plastic bags at shops. While it hasn't removed the plastic bag altogether it has drastically reduced the amount floating around the country.
lol wut, been charged maybe 1 in 100 times for a carrier bag and every time I bought one anyway.

Soldato

It's really quite funny how offended you get at every little thing, he never told you to do anything. It was an opinion.

Soldato
I HATE not getting free bags, I refuse to pay for bags when the store makes huge profits as it is, and I refuse to carry my own bags around.
Why can we not just use USA style paper bags?

God damn retarded hippies :(

Soldato
Soldato

Scum.

Soldato
Atleast some shops are taking on bio-degradable bags. 3 years max usage apparently, not sure if that claim is correct or not. Not exactly had one for 3 years.

Soldato
What amazes me is how much plastic is wasted by making pieces of trash toys / gimics that will be thrown away 5 minutes later

I can't remember the link but the blog about the worst polluted areas in china really made me realise how much we're destroying this world, not that im doing anything to help mind....

Soldato

We bought it from a market in the highlands of Poland (Zakopane region) where animals are farmed and no bit of an animal is wasted. So when the animals are killed for meat do you want them to throw the fur away?
Maybe you should think before you bandy insults.

You are typical of the tree huggers where it's all black or white, and definitely no sense.

IDIOT.

Last edited:
Soldato
Recently I have become a bit of an environmental convert. After spending 2 weeks sorting out my parents' loft of all the rubbish they have accumulated I found myself thinking, "no way do they need all this stuff". Since then I have started reading and researching about the environment and how I can be less wasteful.

I've done various small things, using the car a lot less, switching to Soya milk, halving my meat consumption, but today I had my eyes truly opened by two blogs about the evil that is plastic.http://plasticmanners.wordpress.com/ and
http://fakeplasticfish.com/. Both blogs are of people trying to dramatically cut down their plastic use, from refusing straws at cantines, to buying a toothbrush made out of boar hair!

Plastic really is everywhere but it is a poison. Its creation pollutes and its existance pollutes. Even when it is disposed of after the shortest of moments it will remain forever. That little plastic spoon, the cupholder, the little table you sometimes get in a pizza box. All of those will exist forever after they have been used.

I dont want to be preachy, but reading those blogs really has changed my view on the world. So if you care about your planet at all give them a look for a minute. Maybe refuse that straw next time, or take your own bag, or even track how much you use for a week or two. If we all used and wasted just that little bit less, the results could be staggering.

a lot of soya is produced completely unethically on former rainforest land in Brazil.

tbh

tbh

Associate
Though I ask you just to try some soya milk, just once, just to see if you like it. My girlfriend actually prefers it to dairy milk and my parents didnt know the difference on their cereal.

I strongly advise you to do more research into the deletrious effects of soya consumption. Almond milk is a much healthier alternative, rice and oat milk are also worthy of consideration.

Back
Top Bottom