My car sounds like a boy racer mobile! :(

Associate
My car has decided to start sounding like a boy racer car with a foot wide exhaust....

I reckon its the exhaust, as driving down the motorway a loud noise started, and I've discovered it gets louder as the accelerator pedal is pushed further down.

When the car is idling the noise is bad too - like a constant growl.

Car has just under 40k miles on it, and has passed the MOT 2 days ago. My friend reckons I should just go and maybe get it welded, or repaired, as opposed to a whole new exhaust.

Is there any good reasons for going for a new exhaust as opposed to the repair?

Associate
OP
ElRazur said:
What car is it? if the hole aint that big, you cant just fix it...if not replace it.

Its a Peugeot 106 - one that had escaped the clutches of the boy racer treatment - until tonight :(

The gear-select rod broke the other week too - I've paid enough this month!

Associate
Next question is, where is the noise coming from? The front or rear of the car.

If you can pop the bonnet and if the noise is coming from in there then it is probably your downpipe/header.

If it is the rear of the car then it is most probably your back box. Sometimes they break free of the pipe. This could be welded (I have had it done), or a replacement backbox won't break the bank.

I would pop it down to your local garage, or even Kwik Fit for a diagnosis.

I remeber a while back (many moons ago), a new backbox on my 1.6 astra was £20 fitted from Kwik Fit!

Last edited:
Soldato
^^^ If you aint to keen on buying a new exhaust (say you need a replacement) try your local breakers yard or Look up on the net or ebay. Im sure there is a owners club you can also check -`You should find it cheaper in one of those locations than buying a brandnew one from quikfit or similar shops.

Associate
OP
Pinter75 said:
Next question is, where is the noise coming from? The front or rear of the car.

If you can pop the bonnet and if the noise is coming from in there then it is probably your downpipe/header.

If it is the rear of the car then it is most probably your back box. Sometimes they break free of the pipe. This could be welded (I have had it done), or a replacement backbox won't break the bank.

I would pop it down to your local garage, or even Kwik Fit for a diagnosis.

It appears to be louder at the front of the car - which confused me at first because I thought any exhaust problems would be at the back. If it is a downpipe / header problem what type of price would I be looking for to fix this?

Associate
T22010 SILENCER-FRONT 106 1.4 NO CAT 30.00
T22012 SILENCER-FRONT 106 1.4 XSI CAT 38.00
T23002 SILENCER-CENTRE 106 DIESEL 30.00
T23003 SILENCER-CENTRE 106 1.6 +CAT 30.00
T23003A SILENCER-CENTRE 106 1.6 XSI CAT 24.00
T25060 SILENCER-REAR 106 1.4 XSI 36.00
T25065 SILENCER-REAR 106 1.4/1.5 DIESEL 28.00

Just to give you an idea of parts cost.

Associate
mine went on my GTI when it reached around 4 years old, only had 40k miles on the clock, pipe split just behind the backbox and eventually broke of completely.

in fact i still have a pic on my webspace.. here

Back
Top Bottom