Talktalk and imgur

Soldato
I am with talktalk business, and I can't seem to get imgur.com to load at all. I have tried new dns, flushing the cache, accessing it via the IP (which seems to be blocked?)

Any one else having issues accessing imgur on talktalk?

Soldato
OP
Do you have any of the TT filtering options enabled?
Can you post a traceroute?

Yeah I can ping and tracert the site fine.

I am on the business package, so I shouldn't have any filters applied?

Also I was a nildram customer back in the day until they finally got bought over by talktalk, so I don't have the portal access normal talktalk customers do.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yeah I can ping and tracert the site fine.

I am on the business package, so I shouldn't have any filters applied?

Also I was a nildram customer back in the day until they finally got bought over by talktalk, so I don't have the portal access normal talktalk customers do.

Just noticed if I leave the site long enough the image finally loads. But we are talking 10 minutes plus.

Soldato
OP
Having the same problem here on standard Residental TalkTalk package.

Driving me mad to be honest, since half the images on the net seem to be hosted on imgur.

If I have time at work I shall give them a ring. I will post back with the results (Or lack of no doubt)

Associate
On TalkTalk domestic and it happens too along with various other image sites. Images either partially load or not at all. Thankfully my browser (Opera) has a 'Turbo' feature which acts like a proxy so I just switch it on when it happens.

Soldato
Right think I've cracked it, its to do with MTU max size.

Ruled out it being a browser or O/S issue as happening to multiple devices on same network. Then ruled out DNS as tried several others (google, OpenDNS).

Having a nose around it seems by default your TalkTalk MTU setting should be 1432 which is pretty much a max size (unless on fibre). If any network link on the route is unable to pass messages of this size you get the issue we have been experiencing.

I've now lowered the value to 1400 and all is working

Soldato
OP
Right think I've cracked it, its to do with MTU max size.

Ruled out it being a browser or O/S issue as happening to multiple devices on same network. Then ruled out DNS as tried several others (google, OpenDNS).

Having a nose around it seems by default your TalkTalk MTU setting should be 1432 which is pretty much a max size (unless on fibre). If any network link on the route is unable to pass messages of this size you get the issue we have been experiencing.

I've now lowered the value to 1400 and all is working

Good man! Worked fine for me as well. I was using a cisco router so had to apply it at the dialer0. ip tcp adjust-mss 1400 if anyone is interested.

I would have never thought of that at all. I wonder what changed? As it worked fine for years on the same router?

Associate
Hi, I'm having this exact problem, but I'm actually on fibre. Anyone know what my MTU setting should be? Oh and, it seems I've only been having this problem since I upgraded to the faster, 70+mbps, fibre package, it was okay before.
It's currently 1500, which is apparently the correct setting for fibre. Confusing.

Last edited:
Associate
I have this problem on 38mb TT Fibre too. Trying to browse Reddit is awful as nearly all picture content seems to be hosted on imgur.

Anyone found the issue yet? Aside from MTU size when on adsl.

int

int

Soldato
imgur has been put on the IWF blacklist (not for the first time) and TalkTalk is a member of this foundation. I'm sure it will be resolved shortly, but for now we have to put up with it.

edit: links for clarification:

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/information/internet-watch-foundation/
http://www.reddit.com/r/unitedkingdom/comments/1phq3r/imgur_on_iwf_again_with_talktalk_this_time/
http://www.talktalkmembers.com/t5/Unlimited-Broadband/imgur/m-p/1016492

IWF checker allows you find out if a site you're having trouble connecting to is on the IWF blacklist: http://iwfchecker.lightning-bolt.net/index.php

Soldato
It's affecting me as well on talktalk. Surprised to see it's not a technical issue, but an act of blunt censorship. They really need to think about these things more before acting like China.

My signature below takes like 15 seconds to load and it's only something like 40kb if I recall right.

Soldato
I've just found a solution, it's not necessarily fixing the problem itself - you'll have to wait for the Nazis at the IWF to come to their senses.

In the mean time, if you're on Chrome, you can use this.
Imgur to Filmot

It's a small extension to Chrome that uses Imgur's mirror site, Filmot. This isn't blocked by the IWF.
The extension description on the page mentions it being for reddit, but it applies to all Imgur images, full stop.

Associate
Yeah, that MTU size worked. I've had it set at 1500 for years not knowing it was wrong. Bit stupid because I have a document from Pipex that states it should be set at 1432 which I obviously didn't follow when I set up the modem.

Back
Top Bottom