• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Graphics Card Warranties (UK Only) - Let's see how good they really are!

Man of Honour
Nice job.

Think OcUK will still cover XFX RMA's but personally I avoid the brand anyhow.

Gainward RMAs have been a bit problematic for me - tho I like the brand - getting bounced between retailer and Gainward with neither wanting to take responsibility.

Asus haven't been great for me either - generally around 2 weeks but the RMA replacements generally seem to be refurbs and fail quite quickly.

Not used Gigabyte but I hear from a few people they've wanted them to pay return postage too? but generally praised for how quick and professional the turn around was.

Associate
Just to add I work in the service centre for Zotac here in the UK. To qualify for 5 year extended warranty you must register the product within 14 days :) otherwise it's the standard 2 and remember the retailer should handle the warranty they say that they give which is usually the 1.

Associate
I RMA'd a powercolor 4850 1Gb last year through OcUK i waited just over the 28 days before i asked overclockers if there was any sign of a replacement. I was told that they still had not recieved anything from powercolor so they would send me a HIS 4870 512Mb as a replacement. As luck would have it i had decided to upgrade anyway so i had actually sold a friend the 4850 that i was expecting from powercolor and he was happy with a 4870 at no extra cost (he only has a 19" 1440 x 900 monitor so the fact that the 4870 had less memory wasn't reallly an issue)

So, i am glad that i buy all my P.C. hardware from overclockers as i am sure i would have waited much longer if i bought the powercolor card from somewhere else. I bought a HIS 6950 because of overclockers taking care of any issues with the 2 year warranty.

Soldato
OP
Virtually all retailers are specifying 2 years warranty on the 6*** series of Asus cards.
Just to add I work in the service centre for Zotac here in the UK. To qualify for 5 year extended warranty you must register the product within 14 days :) otherwise it's the standard 2 and remember the retailer should handle the warranty they say that they give which is usually the 1.
What's the normal turnaround once the card is sent to Zotac?

Soldato
A friend who had a MSI 8800GTX fail was refused a RMA from MSI as the serial number suggested it was Amercian stock (this was after the system builder had gone bust).

Soldato
It is 3 years warranty on the 5*** cards, I did read somewhere newer cards are now 2 years warranty, could do with some clarification.

I know mate, both cards are just under 1 year old now, so... I have 2 years left.

But the question is who is responsible for the remaining two years, the retailer or the manufacturer (ASUS).

Soldato
OP
I know mate, both cards are just under 1 year old now, so... I have 2 years left.

But the question is who is responsible for the remaining two years, the retailer or the manufacturer (ASUS).
Well as far as I'm aware your point of contact is with the retailer not the manufacturer.

Sometimes it's best to go through the manufacturer if they provide a good service like Gigabyte does, if any retailer told me to go through the manufacturer and I'm not getting anywhere I would take it up with Trading Standards (Consumer Direct) no messing about.

If you don't get your RMA sorted within 28 days anyway you should be entitled to a similar product or a credit note towards a different card, that's what most other retailers do.

Soldato
after 28 days my XFX card was sent to OcUK then to XFX. Took 4 weeks but XFX have really good support when you are patient. I waited less than a day for each of my many emails to be answered. HIS however, take a week for each email!

Soldato
I had my HIS 4870X2 fail sent it back to OCUK I had a replacement HIS 4870X2 within 2 days.

My experience with XFX was bad OCUK wouldn't send me a replacement product until they got it back from XFX even though they had stock. I moaned and after a few weeks OCUK sent me a replacement from Stock.

Soldato
OP
im reading that as if you want to get a replacement card quickly then buy nvidia.
On the AMD/ATI Graphics Cards side of things, Out of the top 7 for warrantys I listed as best - Gigabyte has the best turnaround, MSI is fairly ok at 2 weeks turnaround.

And if you buy a HIS AMD/ATI Graphics Card bought from OcUK they deal with the RMA direct for the full duration of the warranty, it was mentioned on another forum thread from OcUK staff.

Soldato
I just used the 10 year warranty on my 4 year old EVGA 8800GTS 512 OC. Just before Christmas it crashed while my son was playing a game on his PC, and the card then displayed dots and lines all over the screen after that.

Went through the EVGA RMA process, which is done through their website, and it relatively quick and easy. Got the authorisation for the return, sent it back to Germany - cost around £12 - and a week or so later a shiny new GTS 450 1gb turns up!

So well worth getting the cards with the 10 year warranty then.

Soldato
Nelly, just wondering where you got the Asus RMA information from?

I've got a Radeon card that I'm awaiting a replacement for at the moment.... :o

Caporegime
Great list thanks Nelly, at least we know who to avoid :)

Personally got the OcUK Value 6950s (VTX), but only because OcUK deal with the RMA directly

Disgusted with Asus in particular tbh, hopefully they'll start to get a bad name because of it

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom