Road tax without V5 advice

Soldato
Hi, I'm posting on behalf of my girlfriend. She's bought a 56 plate Focus towards the end of November (can't remember the exact date). It has now run out of tax (I know, she should have at least haggled 12mths tax + MOT, she got the MOT).

Just looked through her documents she received with the car, they also haven't given her the new keeper supplement for the V5. Quick call to the dealers, they've lost it. Now she's stuck with a car with no tax and no v5, and needs her car to travel to Sheffield for a uni exam on wednesday.

How can she tax the car and get a new v5 issued to her in her name? Is it possible?

She also has the MOT (present and old) certificates and the receipt for purchasing the car if it helps.

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
this is straight from the DVLA site here http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_069680

"Taxing without a Registration Certificate or New Keeper Supplement

If you’re shown as the registered keeper of the vehicle on DVLA records, you can tax in person or by post at your nearest DVLA local office.

You’ll need to complete a V62 ‘Application for a Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5C) which must be accompanied by £25 (fee for a duplicate Registration Certificate). Include this with a completed V10 ‘Vehicle licence application’, MOT, insurance and payment for vehicle tax.

If your address has changed, you’ll need to provide your driving licence, original bank or building society statement or recent utility bill. If your name has changed, you need to provide your marriage certificate, decree nisi, decree absolute or deed poll.

If you’re not shown as the registered keeper on DVLA records you cannot tax the vehicle. You’ll need to apply for a Registration Certificate in your name. To get one, fill in form V62 ‘Application for a Vehicle Registration Certificate’ and post to DVLA, Swansea SA99 1DD. You may have to wait up to four weeks for a new certificate to arrive. In the meantime, you should keep your vehicle off the road."

so ring DVLA, is shes shown as the keeper already you can do it at the post office while applying for a new V5C it states, if she's not yet shown as the keeper you're hosed. It's off the road till it comes through :/

Soldato
OP
If you’re not shown as the registered keeper on DVLA records you cannot tax the vehicle. You’ll need to apply for a Registration Certificate in your name. To get one, fill in form V62 ‘Application for a Vehicle Registration Certificate’ and post to DVLA, Swansea SA99 1DD. You may have to wait up to four weeks for a new certificate to arrive. In the meantime, you should keep your vehicle off the road."

so ring DVLA, is shes shown as the keeper already you can do it at the post office while applying for a new V5C it states, if she's not yet shown as the keeper you're hosed. It's off the road till it comes through :/

Yeah, I just found that website, it's not looking good. The dealer fobbed her off with the 'oh we've swapped owners so paperwork is all over the place at the moment, I'll have a bigger look on monday'. What a joke.

Soldato
OP
give dvla a ring bud, hopefully it will have gone through the name change and you can sort it at the postie.

good luck either way

Thanks, just spoken to her. She rang the DVLA and they have no record of her being registered keeper, so she's got to go to the DVLA office in Birmingham on Monday with her documents to transfer the car into her name, and hopefully tax her car there too, so she can drive it on Monday.

Has anyone had any experience transferring names over and taxing it at a DVLA office?

Soldato
OP
surely if they have no record she doesn't own it legally?

She is the owner of the vehicle, but not the registered keeper. The garage is probably still the registered keeper as they hadn't sent off the v5, transferring the registered keeper to her.

Soldato
How is it that she doesn't have a V5 after all that time? The holiday period is no excuse, I recieved mine back a few days ago that I sent off on boxing day.

Soldato
OP
How is it that she doesn't have a V5 after all that time? The holiday period is no excuse, I recieved mine back a few days ago that I sent off on boxing day.

Just spoke to the DVLA. There is no registered keeper on the car, therefore she can take her documents to the DVLA office, and transfer the V5 into her name and tax it at the same time, so she will be able to drive on Monday. However this also means that the garage didn't send the V5 off at all, for a main Honda dealer that is very bad practice.

Thanks to everyone for the advice :)

Permabanned
Just spoke to the DVLA. There is no registered keeper on the car, therefore she can take her documents to the DVLA office, and transfer the V5 into her name and tax it at the same time, so she will be able to drive on Monday. However this also means that the garage didn't send the V5 off at all, for a main Honda dealer that is very bad practice.

Thanks to everyone for the advice :)

tell her shes in for a wait, i did that once at the portsmouth one was there for 5 hours!

Soldato
OP
tell her shes in for a wait, i did that once at the portsmouth one was there for 5 hours!

If that won't get her moaning, I don't know what will.. christ.

Just found out that when she had some work done on it (she bumped a wheel in the ice) that all 4 tyres and the spare is very near its legal limit, which was not noted as an advisory on the MOT certificate, when they MOT'd the car. Coincidence! :rolleyes:

Caporegime
If that won't get her moaning, I don't know what will.. christ.

Just found out that when she had some work done on it (she bumped a wheel in the ice) that all 4 tyres and the spare is very near its legal limit, which was not noted as an advisory on the MOT certificate, when they MOT'd the car. Coincidence! :rolleyes:

Maybe. Or the garage she took it to were trying to rip her off and sell her a new set of tyres that she didnt need...

Go and look at the tyres yourselves.

Back
Top Bottom