The Sims series (and Sims 4 coming out)

I had a nose on Wiki on expansions for Sims 3, then found out that a sequel is coming out in Q4 this year. Any idea what they'll add in the new game? Anyone a fan of the series?

Sims 1, 2001 (I know I was a year late) - loved it though, was a new idea at the time. The in-game music was inspiring, loved the Latin stuff. The chemistry lab was fun, making potions that changed character stats. Lots of custom content to download over 56k dial-up (lol), and there were external apps where you could make your own props. Some mods crashed the game, but I had an app called "Sims PC Files Cop" that sorted out conflicting files.

Sims 2, 2004 - the first game with a 3D engine. Nice graphics, but I just couldn't get into it. I didn't find the in-game music as inspiring, and there were hardly any custom content / mods / apps available on the net. I'm stroking against the grain here, as most people seem to prefer Sims 2 out of the series.

Sims 3, 2009 - I really got into this, more so than Sims 1. Update in graphics, and a few neighbourhoods to try out. It appeared to have included Hot Date as qwll A you could go "down town" with just the Sims 3 base game. I bought the game when it came out and there was lots of custom stuff on the word go. Mods as well e.g. extra sliders on the create-a-sim screen. The only drawback is that the license numbers are tied into an EA account and you can't transfer / gift them like you can on Steam.

2009 is 5 years ago now, but at the time, I would say that Sims 3 was the brenchmark game for detailed computer sprites. It made WoW look outdated. I'm looking forwards to see what graphics / sprites update EA does for their new game.

Soldato
Sims 1 was ok tho i never got heavily into it. Cos of all the expansions i didnt really move past that first game and so when the 2nd and 3rd game came out i just skipped em but i did through a bundle get sims 3 i think for origin so i might give it a go one day but im in no rush.

New one coming, well from what i gather its been pretty much done and all they can do is add bits and pieces. If they want to make it good they should skip away from cartoony stuff and try realistic gfx like photogenic. Doubt they would like.

Associate
My girlfriend loves to play The Sims... I love to play SimCity. Or at least, I used too! I ran out of reasons to continue playing the newer SimCity. I was really hoping that I could create a neighbourhood within SimCity that she could import into The Sims and add a new level of interactivity to it...

I wonder if they'd ever implement something like this in future games? Something Sims 4 could hopefully look in to?

Associate
crackin game back in the day, would race my sister home from school just to get to the computer first to play sims superstar. last played the sims 2. the gf still plays it to this day (sims 2) I recently reinstalled windows and didnt backup her files. didnt go down too well.

Soldato
I was a very big fan of the the original Sims and bought several expansions. I even played it on the Apple Mac for added casual points. ;).

Sims 2 was more of the same, but I went along for the ride. It did lack the appeal of this first series though.

I felt Sims 3 was rather stale, households and neighbourhoods were badly implemented the whole 'base game' feature stripping (no hot tubs!?! :mad:) had also become very tiresome. I gave up after two expansions. House building has always been great fun whatever version.

It's always been a great concept and one hopes EA learn from recent debacles and make the next instalment a real good 'un from the very start.

Soldato
OP
Sims 1 was ok tho i never got heavily into it. Cos of all the expansions i didnt really move past that first game and so when the 2nd and 3rd game came out i just skipped em but i did through a bundle get sims 3 i think for origin so i might give it a go one day but im in no rush.

Yeah that's the downside of the Sims series. Sims 1 - bought it with Livin' It Up bundled in, then I bought House Party separately and left it at that. Sims 2 - never really got into it, sold it a few years later. Sims 3 - I bought Late Night, Supernaturals, and 3 others, so that was by far the most I've paid for a game.

You what??

Kindly provide some examples please.

My girlfriend loves to play The Sims... I love to play SimCity. Or at least, I used too! to?

Yeah, I too like games where you have to build stuff. Outside of Sims/SimCity, I like Roller Coaster Tycoon 3, Warcraft 2, Age of Empires 2 etc. I like your idea of combining Sims and SimCity!

When buying the 4th game though (which I know I will do), my concern relates to Origin accounts. License numbers are tied to the account. I recently sold the Sims 3 + expansions knowing that the new one is out soon. So I threw in my Origin account as part of the sale along with the CDs as that was the only way I think I could have done it. I gave them my login and told them to change the password asap. No credit card details on there - just the serial numbers from the game boxes tied in there. Is there any incentive to purchase the new game as a digital download on Origin like with Steam? It appears the the download version is still the same price as the boxed version, and again, the licenses are non-transferable.

Soldato
I am really looking forward to this. Just wish it was on steam - knowing EA they wont put it on there. Anyone have any more info on this?

Would be nice if it was on Steam, but I doubt it will be.

I chuckled when they referred to Sims 4 as the "Base Game" not long back on an interview. It's like all they are going to be selling you is a framework and then you'll be spending hundreds on stuff packs and expansions; no to mention the store stuff. I mean there's 3 DLC for it and it's not even out for another 2 months. Sims 3 was quite like this but I get the feeling Sims 4 is going to be even worse. There also no pools, no create-a-style which is really disappointing and there are no toddlers so I've no idea how a character will even age through that gap.

I must admit the new build mode does look so much better though. You can increase wall weights, add foundations after the house is created, drag and resize walls that have furniture attached to them, make fully furnished rooms etc.

Associate
Kindly provide some examples please.

Examples of what? Games with better looking characters and NPCs? Don't think this forum allows for posts that long.

The forum does allow posts this long. Sucks to be you.

Seriously Monserrat? Was all you played back in 2009 Sims 3 and WoW? Claiming the characters were benchmark level in 2009 is laughable at best.

This. Seriously?
TS3_UniversityLife_Pool_Party.jpg

2 years before Sims 3 we had Crysis. By 2009 we had Assassins Creed 2, God of War 3, Mass Effect 2... and if we were going on benchmarks, I'd say Uncharted 2 was the best around at that time. Sims 3 was average. Not bad, but not benchmark.

I wasn't going to bother with this but considering your attitude I thought you should be brought back down to planet earth.

In terms of the games, I enjoyed Sims 1 and 2 a lot. 3 was ok but I guess I'd grown out of it at that point. Wanted to get into it but couldn't.

Associate
I remember you used to be able to import yours sims from the first sims into simcity 4, so there was a bit of a cross gameplay element there.

I haven't played the sims since the first one but my girlfriend thoroughly enjoys The Sims 3, I do hope The Sims 4 doesn't bug out as much as the third one (sims getting stuck and freezing the game).

Back
Top Bottom