Handypeople: Stop gate lifting off hinges

Soldato
Hi all,

We have a small section of 7ft decorative iron fence and a nice iron gate too.

There was no means of securing the gate, which leads into the back garden so I drilled the latch and put in a padlock. Works perfectly.

However, the gate could be simply lifted off of it's hinges. The gate is hinged on a wall. On the wall are two vertical pins if you like, on the gate are two loops and these sit on the pins and there you have your hinge.

So, what is the normal process to secure the gate onto the hinge. I assume I could drill through the hinge and install a pin or such?

Is there a better way?

I realise someone could just climb over the gate if they really wanted to.

Associate
Would doing it the other way around (top facing up, bottom facing down) be any better/more secure? Don't know - just asking. :)

the one facing upwareds would be taking most of the weight whereas the one facing down is just holding the gate in place. top taking the weight, the gate is pulling its weight on the top away from the wall. if the bottom takes the weight it's getting pushes towards the wall so can't go anywere. should be more secure.

Soldato
Just screw a block of wood or a small object onto the post above the upper hinge to prevent the gate being lifted upwards.

Soldato
OP
I'm back, I made a mistake. The bracket on the gate are the pins and the plates on the wall are the loops.

The only way I could alter the gate would be to have the pins re-welded.

The gate only has to be lifted around 10mm and it can be opened. That's not even off of the hinge.

Do you think the split-pin solution would be best?

Back
Top Bottom