Any alternative to cable flys.

Associate
Hi,

I am doing cable flys as part of my routine but at 17.5Kg per arm I am finding I am spending half my time trying not to go flying back in to the machine and so my form is really suffering.

Any other exercises I can do to replace them.

I currently am doing;
Bench press
Lat pulldown
Shoulder press
Cable flys
Dumbell rows
Dumbell Shoulder press
Hyper extends
cable standing side twists
Squats
45 deg leg press

I do a full set 3 times a week. I am happy with the others just the cable flys I would like to change. Pref with a freeweight exercise (not pullups or dips at this point).

Cheers
RB

Soldato
Maybe a stupid suggestion, but can't you just drop the weight?

If you're getting bad form on weights, drop it until your form is good, then up it back when you get stronger.

Good form > Weight lifted

Associate
OP
Maybe a stupid suggestion, but can't you just drop the weight?

If you're getting bad form on weights, drop it until your form is good, then up it back when you get stronger.

Good form > Weight lifted

Understand what you are saying but the bad form is from trying to stand pushing my body against the weight pulling back just to maintain the stable starting position rather than from doing the exercise range of movement with my arms. At 15 Kg there is little problem doing the 3*8 as well as maintaining reasonable form. At 17.5 it feels like it is pulling me back off my feet (cable pully is at shoulder height and I need to use a half lunge stance to counteract the backwards force).

The dumbell flyers Pigeon_Killer suggested, as they are lying down will take that backward pull out of the equation as it is counteracted by the bench. They seem the best choice for change at this point.

Thanks for the replies guys.
RB

Soldato
At the gym you should see black rubber things sometimes placed ontop of the weights on machines, they're used to add slightly more weight to help you step between the 2 slabs on machines, go grab them off of another machine and just place 1 on each side ontop of the weights, it should help your transition between 15kg - 17.5kg.

Man of Honour
I'm not quite sure if I've understood your problem correctly but at my gym sometimes people use a step up platform (the ones for step aerobics) to make sure they are at the right height for cable flys. It could be something worth considering anyway.

Associate
OP
Could do your cable flyes lying down as well :)

Doh, now there is an option :D.

Tbh I am also happy to move off using the cable machine and prompting more use of the stabilizers.

Saying that, there is limited room and I have a a fairly wide arm span.

Aedus said:
At the gym you should see black rubber things sometimes placed ontop of the weights on machines, they're used to add slightly more weight to help you step between the 2 slabs on machines, go grab them off of another machine and just place 1 on each side ontop of the weights, it should help your transition between 15kg - 17.5kg.

I have an idea of what you are talking about but have not seen any. I will take a closer look at this also.

Thanks for the suggestions.
RB

Associate
OP
Hi Morba,

I am under the impression that free weights will provide superior stabilisation muscle workouts.

Whilst there is a lot more range of movement compared to fixed range 'plate' machines, movement is still restricted to some degree compared to free weights.

Doing bench cable flys with a cable machine you have the downward pull to a fixed point on the machine with a little movement horizontally towards your feet or head.

Doing bench dumbell flys you have no restriction on horizontal movement so you need stricter control of the weight. The weight is also being pulled to the ground by gravity but not to a fixed point on the ground. Anywhere on the ground will do as far as the weight is concerned .;)

Don't get me wrong. I like doing the lat pulldowns very much so I am not anti cable machines, but if there is a better alternative and the cable exercise is not one of my favourites I will surely investigate.

I would however be interested to hear if this impression is incorrect.

Cheers
RB

Caporegime
its not just about picking the best exercises. You need to pick the ones that compliment each other.

Cables give a completely different feel to the range of motion to free weights.

If this was a primary or even secondary exercise then i would say use a free weight alternative, but as a final chest exercise, i'd keep it. Just do it right :)

Associate
OP
If this was a primary or even secondary exercise then i would say use a free weight alternative, but as a final chest exercise, i'd keep it. Just do it right :)

And there lies the current problem ;). Ok so using the bench may be a better alternative.

Any downside to doing DB flyers rather than cable bench flyers. There are 4 benches available and only one cable machine for flys.

Also, any suggested reading on complementing exercises ?. I am finding the order makes quite a big difference to results.
i.e. Bench press -> shoulder press gets much worse results on the shoulder press than bench press -> lat pulldown -> shoulder press. I presume this is due to the lat pulldown allowing the muscles used for the shoulder press to rest after the bench press.

Thanks as always
RB

Back
Top Bottom