• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anybody bought a PoV GTX465 recently?

Soldato
I was about to give one of these a go and found this over xs

"Of the 12 cards we have tested, 4 "unlocked", 3 recognized the BIOS but didn't "unlock" and 5 are now paper weights".

ill pay the £225 ;)

Soldato

"Of the 12 cards we have tested, 4 "unlocked", 3 recognized the BIOS but didn't "unlock" and 5 are now paper weights".

ill pay the £225 ;)

actually, I'd have to agree with you, lets remember that flashing also voids warranty.

Soldato

ill pay the £225 ;)

It should be noted that there is a lot of confusion over the ability of the GTX465 to unlock. The cards xs used were simply retail samples that physically only had 8 memory chips (when they state unlock they really mean the card shows as a GTX470). Only cards with 10 physical memory chips will unlock properly (they literally are a GTX470 with a GTX 465 bios).

There is a thread over at overclock3d.net (IIRC) which has a list of retail GTX465's (examples) and shows whether they have the required amount of memory chips. Only 3 (types) of GTX465's will unlock properly in the retail channel:

PNY GTX 465 with a black PCB (now becoming rare, replaced with a blue PCB model with only 8 physical memory chips).

POV GTX465 - all appear to have the full ten memory chips.

MSI GTX 465 twin frozr Gold Edition (I couldn't see this listed in the UK).

If the card isn't one of hte above it will not unlock properly (or at all).

Hopefully this will clear up some confusion.

Associate
OP
Hi mate,

Do you have a link to the BIOS you used.

Also did you follow the normal guide of using nv flash?

I used the bios from the unlock pack in this thread

If anybody does want to try this, i strongly recomend that you make a backup of the cards original bios first. Heres how.

Download GPU-z and Nibitor

Open up GPU-z and click the little icon with the green arrow next to your bios version. Click save to file and call it GTX465. This will save it as a bin file but nvflash can only read rom files so open Nibitor and load the gtx465 bin file you just created. Then click save BIOS and make sure you save it as a rom file. Copy the gtx465.rom file over to your memory stick along with the 470 bios just in case.

Also make sure that the only card in your system is the card you want to flash. I made the mistake of leaving my physx card in and nvflash let me erase the EEPROM of the 465 but would not let me flash a new bios onto the card! If this happens to you don't panic. Restart your PC with only the 465 in. (you will have no display at this point as the card has no bios) Wait for your PC to boot to the memory stick and then type:

nvflash -4 -5 -6 -A -y gtx470.rom

Or if you went through the flashing process previously and you card did not unlock:

nvflash -4 -5 -6 -A -y gtx465.rom

This will tell nvflash to force flash the bios with no user input and then reboot. So just sit back and wait for your PC to reboot and you should have display again and either a nice 470 or your original 465 undamaged :D

Soldato
I used the bios from the unlock pack in this thread

If anybody does want to try this, i strongly recomend that you make a backup of the cards original bios first. Heres how.

Download GPU-z and Nibitor

Open up GPU-z and click the little icon with the green arrow next to your bios version. Click save to file and call it GTX465. This will save it as a bin file but nvflash can only read rom files so open Nibitor and load the gtx465 bin file you just created. Then click save BIOS and make sure you save it as a rom file. Copy the gtx465.rom file over to your memory stick along with the 470 bios just in case.

Also make sure that the only card in your system is the card you want to flash. I made the mistake of leaving my physx card in and nvflash let me erase the EEPROM of the 465 but would not let me flash a new bios onto the card! If this happens to you don't panic. Restart your PC with only the 465 in. (you will have no display at this point as the card has no bios) Wait for your PC to boot to the memory stick and then type:

nvflash -4 -5 -6 -A -y gtx470.rom

Or if you went through the flashing process previously and you card did not unlock:

nvflash -4 -5 -6 -A -y gtx465.rom

This will tell nvflash to force flash the bios with no user input and then reboot. So just sit back and wait for your PC to reboot and you should have display again and either a nice 470 or your original 465 undamaged :D

Excellent thanks mate. The guide you linked above is saved down in my favourites (on my second machine so I can follow it step by step). Thanks for the guide on how to save down the 465 bios as well. I was just about to research this. :)

Caporegime
As Oweneadesb stated, nobody has yet bricked their PNY or POV so long as it has 10 memory chips and the gtx470 core.

The only hit and miss thing seems to be that some unlocked gtx465 require a bit more voltage than a gtx470 to be stable. I guess that's why they are binned 470 cores and been used in the first place.

Also note that so long as you back up the bios or have a copy and have a spare card you can always reflash the card with the old bios if it does happen to fail.

To me having a gtx470 for £165 is worth the gamble and I just added two to my basket.:D

And before anybody says I haven't got an SLI board, I am upgrading my system next week to i7 so grabbing two upgradable gtx465's while I can.

throw in two waterblocks at £58 each and for £446 I will hopefully have some nice overclocked gtx 470 in SLI which isn't bad and a hell of a lot of gpu power for the money and less than sone single gtx480's were at launch I beleive?

Also I should get about £270 for my current 5850 plus waterblock plus BFG 9800GTX+ plus waterblock so about £176 to upgrade.

Last edited:
Caporegime
does anyone know the part numbers it would be a shame to spend that amount and find out that i have the 8 chip instead of 10

You can always return under DSR. It seems current stock of ocuk POV are 10 chip with the gtx470 core. How long that will last is unsure.

And if you don't fancy taking it to bits to check (the only sure way) you can try the Asus supplied software which they give away with their gtx465 which unlocks the cores although not the memory. It's called gtx465 upgrade.

If it works then you are sure you have a gtx470 core. Chances are you will have 10 memory chips as well and then can double check by removing the cooler.

Soldato
I could n't see it saying that anywhere on the POV site. Can you link it?

Tempted to take a gamble on this myself , did the same along time ago to unlock some pipes on a card, can't remember what it was now but its always a risk. If it does n't flash I really would n't want a 465.

If you look at the specs of the 465, here, it actually states the graphics chip is a 470.:eek:

Associate
Well, just took the plunge and ordered 2 GTX 465's.

Checked some benchies and tbh there performance looks good in SLI even if they don't unlock.

My HD 5850 will for up for sale on the MM shortly :p

Soldato
Just received my POV GTX465.

At a quick first glance with the torch it appears to have the full allotment of 10 memory chips :D*.

I will remove the cooler later to confirm whether this is the case.

*It has heatpads where the two memory chips would otherwise be missing. I can only assume there are memory chips below the heatpads otherwise there would be no point in including them.

EDIT: After changing the batteries in my torch I can 100% confirm my card has the full 10 memory chips as required to flash into a GTX470.

To check your own cards shine a very bright torch down (or up) through the gap between the SLI tabs and the cooler. Locate the memory chips that is on all GTX465s and see if there are two more in the same line.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Good luck owen! Let us know how you get on with it.

I'm tempted to get another for SLI but i've found that this card alone is way too loud for my tastes and it gets up to 92 degrees when playing mafia II!

Soldato
Good luck owen! Let us know how you get on with it.

I'm tempted to get another for SLI but i've found that this card alone is way too loud for my tastes and it gets up to 92 degrees when playing mafia II!

Yeah, I am going to need it lol. I have everything downloaded (including backups) and ready to go.

I was tempted by SLI myself as well but my monitor is only running 1680x1050 and tbh it would be overkill.

Quick question Jeps, did you use the bios file that came with the unlock pack (on the overclockers.net link)? It your card stable with it? (I have read a couple people having to tweak the voltages a bit to get it stable and others have found a different 470 bios is better.

Back
Top Bottom