HELP! bonnet catch broken on MK4 GOLF - how do i get in?

Associate
For some reason the bonnet on my mk4 golf just will not open. I pressed the latch under the steering wheel and it made the usual bonnet opening sound and the bonnet popped up. I then pulled the little lever thats near the VW badge as normal but nothing happens. I have felt underneath the bonnet and I cant find a latch to release the damn thing.

Is there a procedure that I can do to open the bonnet?

As it stands currently, it wont close. So I cant pull the inside lever (under the steering wheel) any more as its technically not shut. Its safe to drive - to a garage at least if worse comes to worse - but its pretty unusable.

Any help appreciated!

Soldato
Shamelessly lifted from http://uk-mkivs.net/

Ok have you tried giving the bonnet a good pull and wedge somthing in between the gap so you have some space to play with, Get a flash light and make a hook out of metal and see if you can hook it on to the lever, if it hooks the lever give it a quick tug but at the same time pull up the bonnet. If that don't work then I really don't know what else to do.

Sonny

Soldato
I had the bonnet release cable snap on a car some years ago.
Local garage got hold of a really long screwdriver (about 2.5 feet :eek: ) and worked at the release catch from underneath the car reaching up between the block and the radiator. With some persistent wiggling it popped open, but mind you it wasn't anything as complicated as a mk4 golf.
You could always try a screwdriver of the Birmingham variety and demolish the grill to gain access. Then again maybe not ;)

Associate
MossyUK said:
how do i get in?

200px-DeWalt_circular_saw.jpeg

;)

Associate
CSGAS said:

I had the same problem on my 25th Anniversary a few years ago.

Im guessing that you have a rear windscreen washer jet that only comes up half way - the water leaks from a connection (which costs about 10p from VW but its a pain of a job to get to. This is turn basically screws up the boot lock catch. The garage did mine in the end in about 20 mins and was covered under the VW warrenty (was still in it).

on the UKMiV's website there will be a guide on how to get in, and how to change the locking mec...

good luck.

Man of Honour
the cabel broke on me once, ended up under the car for about half an hour armed with a long thing metal pole, a mirror on a stick and a torch in my mouth trying to open it :( the main aim is to try and work out which way what goes and give it a helping hand. Not easy but doable with most cars

although i know a guy whose 5 series cable went and it was almost impossible for bmw to get in!

Man of Honour
either as above, wedge the bonnet up as much as possible, then get a flash light and some metal and hook it.

Or get the front wheels of the ground, crawl under and see if you can hook a bit of metal on from there. That's about your only two options.

Soldato
Sorry if I missed anything, but have you tried pushing the lever in under the bonnet, before pulling it towards you ? Thats how mine works, pop the bonnet using the footwell lever, push the lever under the bonnet in and then pull it towards you to release the bonnet.

Associate
Quite a lot of Mk4's have dodgy bonnet catch's. I know I have to slam my bonnet shut to close it, as dropping it won't close it. Either way, you're looking at a new bonnet catch I reckon, so you may aswell take it to the dealers.

Associate
Mackass said:
Quite a lot of Mk4's have dodgy bonnet catch's. I know I have to slam my bonnet shut to close it, as dropping it won't close it. Either way, you're looking at a new bonnet catch I reckon, so you may aswell take it to the dealers.

Hehe, yeh, just walk in there and say "New bonnet catch needed" before walking out neglecting to mention how you knew it needed a new catch. They'll have some fun im sure.

Back
Top Bottom