850w G7 Extreme Modular ATX PSU Question

Associate
I recently bought this PSU for my first build. I hadn't read up a lot on power supplies so when i saw this for sale in a local shop I picked it up.

After searching round the internet I've seen that its got a fairly bad name but no real info on it to back this name up. I haven't had any bad experiences with it so far.
My system is:
-I5-3570k overclocked @4.4GHz W/coolermaster cooler
-Z77-D3H mobo
-16GB of Corsair Vengeance RAM
-Sapphire Vapor-x HD7970 3GB on 'Boost setting'
-G7 850W Extreme Modular PSU

Everything runs fine on both Crysis and on ultra settings with various mods, so its under a fairly heavy load for long duration.

The specs for it aren't too bad from what i can tell. It's certified to have an 86% plus efficiency. It has 4, 12V rails with 12v1 at 20amps and the rest at 18 or 19(I haven't got it in front of me so I'm not 100% which one it is). I'll post up more specs once I'm home and have the box in front of me.

Overall I'm happy with this PSU but would you recommend changing it over or should I stick with it based on the good experience I've had with it so far?

I'll be looking to swap my mobo out next year after Christmas and will be Crossfiring two of the above Sapphire cards, so would i have to swap this PSU out?

Soldato
I would defiantly change it before you go X-fire. Personally I would look at changing it as soon as possible.

Although it has not gone yet, the chances will increase once it is loaded with a second 7970. If it does go and takes bits with it you are looking at an expensive bill.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'm not at home at the minute so I can't tell you the total current on all the rails.

I haven't seen any of the things that they said in the review that you posted. If the power supply was going to go south anytime soon would I know about it, as in would I have any unusual things happen whilst I'm running the computer?

I'll more than likely swap it out when I go to X-fire next year, depends on how well the single card runs Crysis 3.

Soldato
Chances are you wouldn't know about it till it blew and nothing happened or blew and you lost your graphics card, motherboard and CPU.

Also did you read the entire review or just the conclusion?

Associate
OP
I was just re-reading the page on whether it can supply the amount it of power it said it could and that it was struggling to get into the 80% efficiency region at 80% load capacity.

The G7 PSU says that it is at a greater than 86% efficiency at 100% load so would that not suggest that is a different/ better made PSU than the linked one?

Back
Top Bottom