Should the London marathon be banned to the public?

Permabanned
So you know nothing about me and nothing about horse racing...

Quality post right there.

"Horses are forced to do the racing" PMSL:D

Well yeah they are, they can't voice an opinion or have a choice, they race and are whipped to go faster. There are long established links between horse racing and cruelty. I fail to see why you think this can be linked to marathon running :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
Well yeah they are, they can't voice an opinion or have a choice, they race and are whipped to go faster. There are long established links between horse racing and cruelty.

I agree that this does happen but my mate is a jockey and during training never uses a whip because horses love to run.
They are not 'made' to race because they will do that gladly however going faster is another point.

Soldato
I don't see how you can. If you close it to the public they'll just organise their own charity events and run them instead.

You have to just trust the public to judge if they are in a fit state to do the run or not. If they aren't, there's not a lot can be done really, sad as it is.

Oh, and lolEasyrider.

Caporegime
I agree that this does happen but my mate is a jockey and during training never uses a whip because horses love to run.
They are not 'made' to race because they will do that gladly however going faster is another point.

Horses run in a herd out of instinct. Never will you see a horse run close to the distance of the Grand National of it's own accord. They are certainly made to race by humans, it is not a natural behavior for a horse, if left alone they will spend almost all their time grazing and sleeping.

Last edited:
Soldato
A death in 2012 and now a death in 2014...The London Marathon is more dangerous than the Grand National.

Should there be deaths in what is a fun race for thousands?

Hmm I think you need to look at a few things here. Firstly, the total runners in the London Marathon and the Grand National compared to the deaths kind of indicates you are drastically wrong.

Now maybe look at the total amount of runners and then the amount of deaths per population per day and come back and see if what you have said again makes sense. Now I have only worked this out roughly but I estimate the chances of dying anyway to be pretty equal.

Edit: I worked it out properly and you stand more chance of dying on the day of the London Marathon if you don't take part in it ...

Last edited:
Associate
Hmm I think you need to look at a few things here. Firstly, the total runners in the London Marathon and the Grand National compared to the deaths kind of indicates you are drastically wrong.

Now maybe look at the total amount of runners and then the amount of deaths per population per day and come back and see if what you have said again makes sense. Now I have only worked this out roughly but I estimate the chances of dying anyway to be pretty equal.

Edit: I worked it out properly and you stand more chance of dying on the day of the London Marathon if you don't take part in it ...

Those figures don't matter though. You are banning one thing and it saves x number of lives.

Permabanned
Running that far just isn't a good idea. I have no problem protecting people from their own idiocy.

:rolleyes: people run a lot further, check out ultra marathons, there's one in Death Valley it's 135 miles in 24hours in the hottest place on earth, yet people do it without dying! It's also an amateur event, the oldest competitor to complete it was a man from the uk at 75 years old

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd ban charities from being able to buy up places in events like this. I applied for the London Ride 100 a couple of years ago, didn't get a spot in the draw but the letter to tell me this said there were still "THOUSANDS" of charity places available.

Caporegime
I don't see how you can. If you close it to the public they'll just organise their own charity events and run them instead.

You have to just trust the public to judge if they are in a fit state to do the run or not. If they aren't, there's not a lot can be done really, sad as it is.

Oh, and lolEasyrider.

At least it might be a charity event where the majority of the money went to the charity rather than to the "cost" of the event... IE them paying themselves huge amounts for doing fairly little.

Back
Top Bottom