• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8 Pack starts his testing 7950 vs 7870XT

OcUK Staff
All the testing is done for both these cards running stock volts. Yes I do know what stock volts is!!! due to time constraints today I have only been able to run a couple of benchmarks but will add to these Monday morning with more game based stuff.

The CPU is 3960X at 5.1ghz.

Incidently I picked these benchmarks as a starting point as they are more GPU bottle necked than CPU. All tests are at 1050p and the sleeping dogs graphics settings are seen below.

Lets see how the cards Perform:

7950 at stock:

Unigine

Sleeping Dogs

7870XT at stock:

Unigine

Sleeping Dogs

7870XT Overclocked 1200 core 1800 mem:

Unigine

Sleeping Dogs

Oh and Vantage because I could not resist!!! getting a CPU score too!!! ( Not bad for closed loop water and ten seconds tuning;))

Like I say further results to follow but with stock volts on both cards the Overclocked 7870XT Overclocked is beating the 7950 at the moment on both synthetic and game based benchmarks.

Bargain ??? may well be.

The two cards:-

Sapphire HD 7950 3072MB PCI-Express Graphics Card (11196-00-20G) with FREE FARCRY3, Hitman Absolution, Sleeping Dogs & 20% off MOH Warfighter PC Games @ £239.99 inc VAT

GX-305-SP_400.jpg

The SAPPHIRE HD 7950 3GB features SAPPHIRE’s new dual-extractor technology - Dual-X - a highly efficient multi-heatpipe cooler with dual fans providing quiet and very cool operation during normal operating conditions, and superb cooling performance even under extreme load.

For enthusiasts wishing to maximise performance, a new version of the SAPPHIRE overclocking tool, TriXX supporting this latest generation of technology is available free to download from the SAPPHIRE website. TriXX allows tuning of GPU voltage as well as core and memory clocks, whilst continuously displaying temperature. Manual control of fan speed is supported, as well as user created fan profiles and the ability to save up to four different performance settings.

Features:-
- Core Clock: 810MHz
- Memory: 3072MB GDDR5
- Memory Clock: 5000MHz (Effective)
- Memory Interface: 384-Bit
- Processing Cores: 1792
- Bus Type: PCI-Express 3.0
- Display Connectors: 1x Dual Link DVI, 1x HDMI & 2x Mini-DisplayPort
- HDCP Capable
- DirectX 11 Support
- OpenGL 3.2 Support
- ATI CrossFire Ready
- ATI Eyefinity Technology
- ATI Avivo HD
- ATI Stream Technology
- ATI HD3D Technology
- Warranty: 2 Years
- All Orders placed on the 22nd October 2012 and after shall recieve FREE copies of FARCRY3, Hitman Absolution, Sleeping Dogs PC Games along with 20% off the latest Medal of Honor WarFighter. This bundle is worth in the region of £100 and is completely FREE (Subject to availability) - You will recieve your gamecode from 2nd November onwards in the email address you provided when placing your order!

Only £239.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Sapphire HD 7870 XT 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card @ £199.99 inc VAT

GX-312-SP_400.jpg

The SAPPHIRE HD 7870 XT with Boost delivers a new price:performance point to the series. It is based on AMD’s Tahiti architecture with its 256-bit memory interface, and 1536 stream processors and 96 Texture units, unlike the remainder of the HD 7800 series that uses the Pitcairn architecture. Configured with 2GB of high speed GDDR5 memory running at 1500 MHz (6GHz effective) the SAPPPHIRE HD 7870 XT has a core clock of 925MHz which dynamically rises to 975MHz with PowerTune Boost, AMDs dynamic performance enhancement for games.

For enthusiasts wishing to maximise performance of this graphics card, the latest version of the SAPPHIRE overclocking tool, TriXX supports this technology and is available free to download from the SAPPHIRE website. SAPPHIRE TriXX allows tuning of GPU voltage as well as core and memory clocks, whilst continuously displaying temperature. Manual control of fan speed is supported, as well as user created fan profiles and the ability to save up to four different performance settings.

Specification:-
- Tahiti LE
- Huge OC Potential
- Core Clock: 925MHz
- Boost Clock: 975MHz
- Memory: 2048MB GDDR5
- Memory Clock: 6000MHz (Effective)
- Processing Cores: 1536
- ROPS: 32
- Bus Type: PCI-Express 2.1
- Display Connectors: 1 Dual Link DVI-I, 1 HDMI & 2x Mini-DisplayPort
- HDCP Capable
- DirectX 11 Support
- Shader Model 5.0 Support
- OpenGL 4.0 Support
- ATI CrossFire Ready (Compatible with 7900 series)
- ATI Eyefinity Technology
- ATI Avivo HD
- ATI Stream Technology
- ATI HD3D Technology
- Warranty: 2 Years

Only £199.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

OcUK Staff
Hi there

8 Pack excellent first review, glad to see when overclocked the 7870 XT can match a stock 7950, this makes them incredible value for money. :D

I look forward to see what the 7870 XT can do with some extra volts!! :)

Soldato
Good review 8Pack. Are you now a reviewer for OCUK?
It's a shame that the overclocked XT only just beats a stock 7950 though, i was hoping they would have pushed out a bit higher score.

OcUK Staff
Good review 8Pack. Are you now a reviewer for OCUK?
It's a shame that the overclocked XT only just beats a stock 7950 though, i was hoping they would have pushed out a bit higher score.

8 Pack is now a staff member at OcUK. :)

This was overclocked on stock voltage, there shall be more to come. :D

Caporegime
I wonder at what point Gibbo had to step in and say "Nooooo"?

Was it whilst pouring LN2 onto each of the GPU's? or when 8 Pack was adding the pots to the CPU and GPU?

:D

Soldato
nice review however with the free games of the 7950 it works out cheaper, unless you have them already :D

give 8pack hes own chamber for extreme testing please :)

let him be number overclock on hwbot & bare the ocuk name ;)

Associate
Can you tell something about the noise this card makes? The club3d version with the standard cooling fan is quite noisy according to some reviews.

Last edited:
Soldato
Did Sleeping Dogs get a huge graphical overhaul recently or is it really that god awful of a port that it gets 40fps average on a 7950 at 1680x1050? :eek:

Soldato
It's Extreme AA. Even at that resolution it's a massive resource to run for a mid range card.

Definitely didn't set it to that when I used it then. :p Crazy to think a 7950 is mid range now. :eek: :confused:

Nice thread anyway, least I know what my next upgrade will be now. :D

Associate
the 1200 core on the XT was stock volts? is that 1.25v? 1800mem without extra volts?

Was that a water cooled XT?

Those clocks are higher than my 7950 can manage at 1.25v so what's the secret? Hand picked XT?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom