Onkyo HT-R380 Problem

Soldato
Hi guys.

A couple of weeks ago I bought said reciever in a complete package along with 5.1 speakers. (HT-S3305)

Now i've just noticed that the front right and front left speakers don't work.

On the amp there is the option of switching speakers from A or B or both or neither. I assume this was to switch between the choice of having larger front right and left speakers (which there is a socket for on the back of the amp) or the smaller ones which i'm using. Everything is wired up correctly using the correct colour coded wires into the correct sockets (clamps or whatever you call them!)

So if I were to select B on the amp then the front R&L speakers work but none of the others do nor the sub. If I have B disconnected then only the centre speaker, sub and rear speakers work.

I've tinkered with all the settings I can find and can't seem to solve the issue.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Edit: This is the back of the reciever. http://www.techdigest.tv/Onkyo HT-S3305 back.jpg

Also just noticed that they are labelled A and B. But when I select B, I can only have the sound in naff stereo and not complete surround sound :(

Last edited:
Caporegime
You not read your manual then?:rolleyes::p

You need your front speakers connected to A, B is just stereo output only for say another room.

You can use two sets of speakers with the AV receiver: Speakers A and Speakers B.
Speakers A should be used in your main listening room for up to 5.1-channel playback.
* While Speakers B is on, Speakers A is reduced to 2.1-channel playback.
Speakers B can be used in another room and offers 2-channel stereo playback.
Thanks to the AV receiver’s superb capabilities, you can enjoy surround sound with a real sense of movement in your
own home—just like being in a movie theater or concert hall. With Blu-ray Discs, you can enjoy DTS and Dolby Digital.
With analog or digital TV, you can enjoy Dolby Pro Logic II, DTS Neo:6, or Onkyo’s original DSP listening modes.
Speakers A and B
Speakers A Speakers B Indicator Output
On On Speakers A: 2.1 channels
Speakers B: 2 channels
Off Speakers A: 5.1 channels
Off On Speakers B: 2 channels
Off No sound

http://www.eu.onkyo.com/de/dl/1465282/Manual_HT-S3305_HT-R380_En.pdf

Soldato
OP
As a complete novice.. I assumed that the front speakers under A would be some of the larger floor standing speakers which I didn't get :p

I didn't want to wire up the small ones incase they drew more power than they should and popped.

I've now wired it up to the correct ones and they are working fine :)

jbs

jbs

Associate
It's an easy mistake to make on this model if you don't read the manual. The output for the "B" speakers looks just like the back speakers and sub, so it does look like the correct thing to do at first.

Back
Top Bottom