The BenQ EW2420: Too good to be true?

Associate
I'm afraid not. I would grab the demo and test it for you but they don't seem to have it. I'll test the Resident Evil 5 demo as I think that's the most similar title I can manage at the moment.
Ah that's a shame. I think another FPS game would be more representative of what it'd be like, but you've already covered that with Bad Company 2.

I still wouldn't mind knowing what RE5 is like on it though :)

Soldato
OP
Well I have tested the Resident Evil 5 benchmark. It did make me feel a bit dizzy - but I think that has more to the fact that it's a rolling demo and I wasn't in control of the action. The trailing didn't seem to bad and not really all that different to most TN panels I've tested it on. Red Alert 3 - likewise. I think the EW2420 is a fine monitor for RTS games. There is a fair bit of blur when you scroll quickly but that is very commonly experienced on any LCD monitor.

Associate
Hmmm you've put me in a quandary. I was pretty much set to buy a P2450H in light of your previous comments on Bad Company 2, but now I'm not so sure.

I play all sorts of games, but it's probably FPS's that matter the most. Whilst I want the fast response rate, I also want good colours and contrast for movies. Dammit, I want an OLED screen.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I am having the same mental tussle myself. It is only to replace an aging Samsung 2032BW on my downstairs PC. I usually use whatever monitor I'm reviewing or a reference monitor on my primary PC. Bad Company 2 made me feel a bit dizzy but I don't often play that on my PC downstairs. Just like to have the option to do so. Haha

Soldato
Would you say that at under £200, the EW2420 is the ideal compromise for graphics and games use? It's a toss up between this and the Samsung for me, but from everything you've said about the colour reproduction and the contrast, it seems the Benq would be the better option. Would you agree?

Associate
PCM2, can you see any monitor coming out in the next few months (say till February) that will better either the Samsung B2430H/P2450H or the BenQ in the £170 price range?

I'm wondering whether to buy now or just wait a while. I'm not sure how prices will fluctuate either, i.e. how big of a price difference will there be between buying now of next February?

Associate
ah i held off for ten days for this screen to be the bees

now im stuck [my 2407 is dead]

and i need a new screen bad [im stuck with a 15 inch tft]

im not sure i can afford a new dell

its only really for games and the net

HELP

Soldato
OP
Soldato
OP
If you want to stick with 24 inches and don't think you'll be soured by spending that amount of money (i.e. the same as the EW2420 costs) then I'd go for the B2430L. It's the 24 inch version of the monitor I suggested before and includes DVI inputs. The build quality and image quality is better than the BenQ G2420HDBL. The HDBL is partly the reason I'm so pleasantly surprised by a lot of what the EW2420 offers. :p

Associate
Sorry to be a nuisance, but do you know any of the answers I posed above in my previous post?

I know it's a bit like asking you to predict the future, but you have a much broader sense of the monitor market than I will ever have, so would value your opinion :)

Associate
ok and a couple of questions
the difference between the b2430h is slightly bigger screen and hdmi connection is that right

and how would it affect me for playing games compaired to my old dell 2407
as in quality the angles is not a problem i sit right in front of my screen

Soldato
OP
Sorry to be a nuisance, but do you know any of the answers I posed above in my previous post?

I know it's a bit like asking you to predict the future, but you have a much broader sense of the monitor market than I will ever have, so would value your opinion :)

I'm not aware of any. The only ones to look out for that I know of are LG's upcoming LED-backlit IPS monitors due out in Q1 next year. They are very unlikely to be in the same price range though.

ok and a couple of questions
the difference between the b2430h is slightly bigger screen and hdmi connection is that right

and how would it affect me for playing games compaired to my old dell 2407
as in quality the angles is not a problem i sit right in front of my screen

I don't think the 'L' does have a smaller screen it's just a blip in Samsung's specifications. The actual monitor has exactly the same dimensions so I don't see the screen being 0.4" smaller on the 'L'. I think the HDMI input is the only real difference.

TN panels display what I refer to as 'colour shifting' - that is to say that even if you are sit directly infront of it a given colour will appear quite different depending on its position on the screen. In games the actual shift is not usually noticed but it does cause shade-crossover and you lose subtle distinctions between colours. Whether or not this is important to you is subjective - for me I can live with it but I much prefer higher quality panels for lack of this problem.

Associate
I'm not aware of any. The only ones to look out for that I know of are LG's upcoming LED-backlit IPS monitors due out in Q1 next year. They are very unlikely to be in the same price range though.
Right, in which case I'm probably going to jump the gun and buy a Samsung then.

Thanks for all your input and advice!

Associate
TN panels display what I refer to as 'colour shifting' - that is to say that even if you are sit directly infront of it a given colour will appear quite different depending on its position on the screen. In games the actual shift is not usually noticed but it does cause shade-crossover and you lose subtle distinctions between colours. Whether or not this is important to you is subjective - for me I can live with it but I much prefer higher quality panels for lack of this problem.

as you refer to the colour being the most troublesome

what about sharpness and contrast compaired to the 2407

and i remember you saying something about the lag in games on the 2407,i didnt notice anything but then i never really looked for it

Soldato
OP
This is the 2407WFP right? It has an S-PVA panel. I don't mean to backtrack but if you don't take any issues with the responsiveness of the 2407WFP then the EW2420 should be just fine too!

Back
Top Bottom