Mondeo strange rumbling noise

Soldato
Since sunday my MK3 Mondeo 1.8 (6 speed box) has been making some strange rubbling noise from the front end of the car. First of all i checked tyres , they was a out of shape so got some new ones fitted, noise still there, but not as loud and sounding a bit different. Now what was happening every time i turned to the left the noise would get louder and a turn to the right it would quieten down. Thought it was a wheel bearing problem, had one changed last year as it failed thought it might make sense that it would need changing. Anyway got it changed and the noise is still there, exact same fault as before, the garage stuck a bit more gearbox oil in as it was a little low, didnt make much difference but they think it could be the gear box. The Mechanics are a bit confused as all the drive shafts looked fine, so cant see why a change in direction should affect the gearbox but it seems it is the only other thing it could be. They had it on the ramp and over 30mph (when i normally start to here it) the rubbing noise can be heard so they dont think its the other wheel bearing. Any of you guys think of anything else to look for? The car feels no different to drive, feel no vibration for the wheel, gear change is fine etc, could a warped disk/brake problem casue this to happen as its when i brake i feel the pedal vibrate almost if the ABS was coming on? Any ideas would be useful apart from scrap/sell it as thats what im thinking of doing if its gonna be the gearbox lol.

Associate
It could still be a wheel bearing. I had one go in November and at first the garage couldnt find anything wrong with it as there was no play in it, It even passed an MOT with the noise but in the end it was diagnosed as a wheel bearing after the front of the car was jacked up and the car was run and it made the noise at certain speeds. It could be possible as well that the new bearing has failed again. The bearing I had fitted was in my case a genuine VW part (you would think i wouldnt have problems) but it failed again the other week although I had it replaced for free under parts warranty so just because its had one replaced dont dismiss that one.

Edit: oh and my bearing noise was exactly the same as you have described getting louder turning one direction and is much more noticeable on smooth road where theres less tire noise.

Associate
Firstly gearbox oil being low means it has leaked. Was there any evidence of leakage with the car on the ramp?
The driveshafts are free floating into the gearbox so it dosen't make sense for a gearbox bearing whine etc being affected by direction of travel.
Are you sure the noise isn't the wheel bearing that was changed previously? They are often fitted incorrectly/not greased properly/contaminated with grit/pressed into the hub incorrectly.
Checked the wheel bearings on the rear wheels?

Soldato
OP
One of the mechanics thought it might be an idea to change the other bearing, but its another £100 odd pound wasted if its not. The other garage changed the bearing Jan last year, but it failed again in June, they did say that the original supllier had some duff bearings and thats why it failed, perhaps it was still the same case. Im not sure how the warranty would work though, the one in june was FOC as it was within 12 months, not sure if it would carry over worth a try i guess.
As for the gearbox oil they just though it was low and wasnt topped up when it should have been in the last service, could see any leaks on the floor and Ive not noticed also, I did go through a big puddle on sunday and i noticed the noise about 30 miles after that, not sure if it has any relation.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got a humming wheel bearing on my Mondeo, took it in to be changed and got told its only just starting to go and there is no play in any of the wheels so to stop the noise it would have to be all four changed as they can't tell which one it is yet.

Soldato
OP
Taking it in for a further investigation on Monday, does seem it could be the diff but best let the experts do their job. Shame if its anything major as i dont think its worth spending the money on, repairs would be more than the car value.

Soldato
OP
Well the garage didnt have much time to check today, but they dont think its diff related and possilby is a new wheel bearing. This will be the 3rd one on this side since Jan 12 :eek: but the the first one they fitted was a duff part and was done for free in may/june last year. Thinking about it could the Ball joint be a potential cause if it had lost some grease or had something split etc? MOT in 2012 the Off side Ball joint has an advisory as it had a slight crack but no dirt ingress, this years MOT it wasnt found to be a problem (different MOT inspector). As i went through a very big puddle (approx a foot deep lol) not long before it happened, could this off "washed" the grease out or contaminated the ball joint? Its going back in on Tues for a closer inspection, not charged me for looking today, just a hassle to take it back in tommorow.

Back
Top Bottom