• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***DEAL OF THE MILLENIUM - MSI GTX 470 Twin FrozR ONLY £143.99 Inc. VAT!!*****

Soldato
How would this compare to a 5850? I can overclocked the 5850 to 950/1150. Any advantage in upgrading here?

Main use will be FSX which is rumoured to prefer nvidia cards.
Definately not worth upgrading unless benchmarking Heaven means a lot to you. overclcoked 470 vs overclocked (V1) 5850's are pretty much even.

Caporegime
How would this compare to a 5850? I can overclocked the 5850 to 950/1150. Any advantage in upgrading here?

Main use will be FSX which is rumoured to prefer nvidia cards.

If you check fire wizard's links there is little in it so would be a sideways move with the exception that FSX does indeed favour Nvidia cards.

Soldato
A friend has a GTX 460 and an sli board. I'll see if if wants to buy my 460 to go with it and I'd get one of these. He's mentioned it before. I'd only have to put about £50 to it.

Associate
Hmm, this has swayed me from the 480 for 2 reasons - my PSU can SLI another one down the line (not with the 480), and also just the savings on it for a custom-cooled card.

Still think the GTX 480 is an awesome deal though.

Soldato
I am swinging towards the 480. The extra memory is nice, the reference cooler blows hot air OUT of the case, it tends to overclock further (especially on the memory which is lower grade on 470's) and it has a few extra ROP's, shaders and bandwidth. You will probably be able to pick one up really cheap in 6 months if you feel the need to SLI it.

I guess it is like comparing a 7" John Thomas to a 8" John Thomas. There may not be that much real difference, but the disire for that little bit extra is disproportionate to the actual benefits.

Soldato
If you check fire wizard's links there is little in it so would be a sideways move with the exception that FSX does indeed favour Nvidia cards.

It's probably not worth the change then. Hopefully the 5850 will work better with the new Microsoft Flight anyway.

Associate
cracking deal would snap one of these up
but i just bought a 460 a couple of weks ago and it cost me more than this
looks like i chose the wrong time to upgrade again

Associate
Very tempting offer but what is the difference in speed between this and the 480 (which I have already got on order). I tend too feel that sticking with the 480 is going to be the better idea unless of course the 470 is really close in price

OcUK Staff
OP
Very tempting offer but what is the difference in speed between this and the 480 (which I have already got on order). I tend too feel that sticking with the 480 is going to be the better idea unless of course the 470 is really close in price

The 480 is faster and can be overclocked well.

The 470 MSI is quieter and runs cooler and overclocks too. But outright speed wise the 480 is faster and can also be clocked. :)

Soldato
*sigh* so this deal has me currently decide to go with a 480. I was undecided before and now I am planning to pre-order one. And this deal is for a completely different card.

How does that work? Some dastardly sales-type psychology, no doubt.

Worked, though :)

Soldato
Just so you know I think that Gibbo has got another 480 deal in the horizon, MSI 480s for £179.99 inc VAT. I saw those in the website this morning when the speculation was rife. I reckon they will go live when the Asus 480 deal ends.

OcUK Staff
OP
Just so you know I think that Gibbo has got another 480 deal in the horizon, MSI 480s for £179.99 inc VAT. I saw those in the website this morning when the speculation was rife. I reckon they will go live when the Asus 480 deal ends.

Incorrect!

You saw MSI 480 in our clearance section. I have no deal on any other GTX 480 from any other vendor or anything in the pipeline. So your wrong sorry.
If you look in our clearance section you will see a few graphics cards including a few GTX 480's at £179, but they are not new stock.

Back
Top Bottom