MCE insurance

spp

spp

Associate
These guys continually pop up as the cheapest on price comparison sites, by quite some margin. For example, when doing a quote for a Ducati 1198, fully comp is £269. The average seems to be around £700 (Carol Nash quoted £1200). Anyone have any experience with them?

spp

spp

Associate
OP
Haha :p I had noticed this before writing the post. Although the problem with bad reviews is, people will generally write bad things about a company when things go wrong, but not necessarily write things when they are satisfactory. Although, I do take the point, quite a lot of bad things have been written.

It'd be nice to know if anyone here has actually dealt with them, and were they ok?

Associate
I have dealt with them before. Like you I got a cheap quote from a comparison site. I called them up and by the time the call was over it was then the same price as the others in the market. They do the low price initially to get you in contact with them.

After I declined I had a lovely Asian chap call me 3 times a day for almost a week to try and get me to sign. Apparently I was his 'bruv'. (I **** you not).

I have never seen anything good written about them.

All the bike forums I visit seem to have the same view too. The guys on PH forums say it's near impossible to get proof of no claims out of them too at the end of your policy with them. Also they have a ridiculous admin fee for changes on the policy (around £50 I believe)

Pay the extra, it is worth it if you ever need to make a claim. I'm with BikeSure, they were £100 more than the initial MCE quote, but it's worth it for the peace of mind in my opinion.

spp

spp

Associate
OP
Yeah, I think that's probably for the best. Thanks for the reply :)

Going to look at some bikes this weekend. It's always an exciting time just before getting a new bike :D

Associate
Been with them a couple of years myself, for multiple bikes. Never had a problem personally, but I haven't had to make a claim as yet.

Latest renewal was £176 fully comp on a Speed Triple and a Fireblade for 18 months. All mods declared on both bikes. Usual leather/helmet and legal cover etc.

spp

spp

Associate
OP
I'm going to look at a couple of Ducati 1198's. I've been meaning to change the GS for a few months, and was almost tempted to go back to a sports tourer like the VFR. However, lately I've been fancying a Ducati. I change my bikes fairly regularly, as I just love the variety. I've not had a v twin sports bike before, so I'm looking forward to trying something new. If I pick one up this weekend, plenty of pics will follow :D

Associate
MCE always good to me by far the cheapest for my R6 (£140) & 2013 R1 (£500) for 15 months insurance with all the bits that goes with it.

Bennets, Carole Nash etc... I seem to get shafted.

About to get a BMW R1200 GSA in the next month or so, so will shop around for them.

Only thing with MCE is to LOOK closely at your schedule when it comes in as something always changes even though you "declared it".

spp

spp

Associate
OP
Skynet, are you getting the GS to replace the R1, or as a second bike?

I moved from a CBR1000RR to the GS1200 last year, and while I loved it, I just need to get another sports bike. If I could justify spending the money, I'd just keep the GS. But alas, I'll need to part ex it.

Associate
I was recently quoted a couple of very cheap MCE policies but the excesses were ridiculous:

Policy 1:
Standard policy
~£530
£950 excess.

Policy 2:
Excess protected (ie, if I claim, I get the excess back)
~£550
£1,950 excess!!!

Me:
25 years old, car no claims, provisional bike license.
Bike:
Yamaha YZF-R125, £2,500 value, kept garaged.

At first, the excess protection policy seems like a good idea BUT you can't make a claim below the value of the excess. As such, you total your bike or they don't pay out...

Soldato
I was recently quoted a couple of very cheap MCE policies but the excesses were ridiculous:

Policy 1:
Standard policy
~£530
£950 excess.

Policy 2:
Excess protected (ie, if I claim, I get the excess back)
~£550
£1,950 excess!!!

Me:
25 years old, car no claims, provisional bike license.
Bike:
Yamaha YZF-R125, £2,500 value, kept garaged.

At first, the excess protection policy seems like a good idea BUT you can't make a claim below the value of the excess. As such, you total your bike or they don't pay out...

And even if you do total your bike, you are only going to receive a fraction of it's value with an excess that large.

Associate
Skynet, are you getting the GS to replace the R1, or as a second bike?

I moved from a CBR1000RR to the GS1200 last year, and while I loved it, I just need to get another sports bike. If I could justify spending the money, I'd just keep the GS. But alas, I'll need to part ex it.

I would like to keep both for now and see how it goes.

I think I'd regret selling the R1 especially after just 9 months of ownership!

Excess for me is £500 but it's a £12,000 bike with a lot of extras on it!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom